Profile for The Lyrical DJ > Reviews

Hergest Ridge
Hergest Ridge
Offered by EliteDigital UK

3.0 out of 5 stars So much better in the original mix, 6 July 2005
This review is from: Hergest Ridge (Audio CD)
I was lucky enough to have grown up with the original vinyl pre-Oldfield-tweak version (crackles, pops and all) and eagerly anticipated the CD release, only to find the remastered version a pale imitation of the haunting release I am so familiar with. Even when I first heard the original, aged around 5 or 6, I found the opening few minutes achingly beautiful and intensely moving; even now I still find it a totally unique piece of music which retains the power to send shivers down the spine at its beginning and at the end where an eerie and shocking chord transition shatters a hitherto languid choral sequence.
Though I appreciate Tubular Bells and what I've heard of Oldfield's other work, there is something special - I would even go so far as to say spiritual - about Hergest Ridge; even the LP cover was a work of art. I am perplexed that Oldfield can have found reason to try improving what was already perfect and the current remastered version loses more in content than it gains in quality.
I won't be throwing out the LP just yet...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2011 5:50 PM GMT

Paperhouse [DVD] (1988)
Paperhouse [DVD] (1988)
Dvd ~ Charlotte Burke
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 28 Feb. 2003
This review is from: Paperhouse [DVD] (1988) (DVD)
I'd concur with the sentiments already expressed here - I regard the film as one of those rare triumphs where plot, casting, direction etc create something much larger than a simple sum. It probably has the greatest appeal to adults who still have a resonance with the often delightful but equally often fearful magic of childhood and it is a credit to everyone involved that it is so easy, even for a veteran and cynical filmgoer like myself at least, to become completely immersed.
It is certainly possible to find weak points - some of the acting is occasionally a little wooden (ironically not that of the children themselves) - but I'm delighted to be able to watch this film as a participant rather than an observer so I'll leave all that pettiness to someone else.
First rate.

Hauppauge Win TV PVR
Hauppauge Win TV PVR

1.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could award zero, 2 Dec. 2002
This review is from: Hauppauge Win TV PVR (Electronics)
I'll never criticise another Microsoft release again. . . Hauppauge have cornered the market in ... the triumph of marketing over substance. I started off with a Win TV PCI card that refused to work till I juggled it between slots in my old Dell (5 minutes to buy, 8 hours to get working), then lost the audio every time I tried to capture anything. With ill-deserved confidence I bought the PVR PCI on a new XP machine. Did it work ? No. In fact the driver disk as supplied won't work under XP. Another 8 hours... finally got it working. By which I mean MPEG capture is intermittently blocky and totally unsuitable for non-trivial use, the AVI capture blue screens my PC. On the plus side, burning the card will keep me warm through these long winter nights.

Bad Vibes
Bad Vibes
Offered by Media Vortex

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy departure from Lloyd's normal style, 6 Sept. 2001
This review is from: Bad Vibes (Audio CD)
Afficionados of Lloyd's earlier work with the Commotions may be disappointed with this release but there's really no reason. This is an exploration of territory away from crisply twanged guitars and is much darker in mood. The production is excellent and opens in bullish mode with the superb Morning Has Broken. Lloyd's customary irony abounds in most of the tracks and whilst it certainly isn't Rattlesnakes, it is definitely worth a punt.

Party Political Broadcast On Behalf Of The Emotional Party
Party Political Broadcast On Behalf Of The Emotional Party

5.0 out of 5 stars McNabb at his acoustic best, 23 Aug. 2001
An album which sounds more like a smoky pub gig than a studio recording at times - some of the songs have a darker melancholic edge symptomatic of a troubled troubadour, but are honest and, with the opening track, positively anthemic. As always, McNabb's colossus of a voice shines through.

Live At Life
Live At Life
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars The authentic experience of a McNabb gig, 23 Aug. 2001
This review is from: Live At Life (Audio CD)
Anyone who's aware of Ian McNabb's prodigious volume of work and entertaining style won't be surprised at the quality of this release. The acoustic tracks are crystal clear and cover older (Icicle Works) and newer material with charm and an occasionally tangible poignancy. Quite simply this is a steal at the price.

Liquidizer
Liquidizer
Offered by lbabes

5.0 out of 5 stars High paced, energetic frenetic driving music, 22 Aug. 2001
This review is from: Liquidizer (Audio CD)
Not for the faint-hearted; power,punch and pace. Ideal for driving with the top down and a crazed expression (you find people give you a lot of space!). Finds plenty of time for melody in there too; addictive listening.

Version 2.0
Version 2.0
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and addictive, 8 Aug. 2001
This review is from: Version 2.0 (Audio CD)
I'd award this six stars if I could. I'm glad so many people are quoting the word 'addictive' in respect of this album because I've had it 2 years and practically every working day it's the first thing I put on Winamp - those first five tracks are the strongest I've heard in 20-odd years of buying music - pace, power and presence ! Perfect for throwing off early morning cobwebs. It's absurdly cheap at the price - you have no excuse not to buy.