Profile for Ms. A. K. Smith > Reviews

Content by Ms. A. K. Smith

Ms. A. K. Smith "Miss Smith" (UK)

The Kite Runner
The Kite Runner
by Khaled Hosseini

3.0 out of 5 stars CRASS, 12 April 2008
This review is from: The Kite Runner (Paperback)
I am struggling to finish this book, where normally if a book is well written and a good story I would not be able to put it down. The fact that that it is a struggle suggests that the narrative is not captivating enough and the subject is too cliche. Everyone seems to be raving about this book, including my mum and brother but I am finding it more than a little disappointing, I have never been to, or read much about Afghanistan, but I can read between the lines, the setting and details in this book are borderline Panorama-documentary style. Don't get me wrong, I started The Kite Runner with an open mind, wanting it to be as good as the hype, but it just isn't, sorry.
The word crass comes to mind, it could have been SO much better than this.

Natural Fashion: Tribal Decoration from Africa
Natural Fashion: Tribal Decoration from Africa
by Hans Silvester

5.0 out of 5 stars VISUALLY STUNNING, 10 April 2008
I have just received this book today and as soon as I opened it I was mesmerized. As a fashion design student I am constantly looking for inspiration, I have finally found a book that offers extraordinary, beautifully detailed photographs that would grace any Theme or Colour board. The devil is in the detail as they say, and this book certainly gives you plenty of that. The photography is superb and from a design point of view it conjures up hundreds of ideas for my fashion design work. There are very few words in this book and as such relies heavily on the visual elements of the tribal decoration, therefore, if you are after a book which offers explanations of each picture, this is not the one for you. Having said that I really don't think this book needs words with photographs of such high standard, It is a stunning book and anyone buying it should love it because of it's simplicity and artistic eye. I highly recommend getting this book if you are any kind of designer or artist. This book does not give a true understanding of the tribes it has photographed, in fact in some instances you do feel that the photographer has stylized his subjects purely for art, but I don't care. I love this book.