Profile for Schnecki > Reviews

Insomnia [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Al Pacino
Price: 3.75

5.0 out of 5 stars My cup of tea, 10 Mar 2008
This review is from: Insomnia [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
One of my favourite movies of all times. Think I watched it about 4-5 times already in the last 15 months. Stunning, remote, damp Alaska not being the last reason why it is a fascinating film. A great plot, well casted, in the right settings.
Can't say much more, except that I am awaiting the original version for rental shortly. I'm curious which one I'd prefer in the end.

Less Than Zero [DVD]
Less Than Zero [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andrew McCarthy
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Genuine 80s, 10 Mar 2008
This review is from: Less Than Zero [DVD] (DVD)
I felt the young cast was actually not badly chosen, Andrew McCarthy as the college boy possibly following his families footsteps, Jamie Gertz portraying an insecure girl and Robert Downey Jr as a guy who went on the wrong path going downhill by the minute. The vulnerability is genuine and for example with their (especially rich) parents being either widowed or divorced or else, it is believable how these kids develop post school.
I liked the film, but I can imagine a bigger potential with the book. Though Downey and Spader are definitely worth watching.

However there were two things bugging me about the film.
After 5 minutes plot the film moves on "6 months later", which I find given the circumstances and story unrealistic. These rather dramatic developments are unrealistic to happen only '6' months after graduation, it should have been a year to make a difference. A few months is just so naff, sorry. So I watched the film a second time, just pretending to myself it would be a year later, and things made more sense.
Secondly the party/clubbing scenes - were the dancing people out of rhythm, was the post-dubbing just bad or what was going on? And why would one hear tapping dancing feet? Any club would have played loud music so one could not really get this sound effect. This really distracted me and just did not convince me.