Profile for IamWendle > Reviews

IamWendle

Taipei
Taipei
by Tao Lin

5.0 out of 5 stars I never write reviews but the 3 star overall rating of this book possessed me to do so..., 6 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Taipei (Paperback)
The greatest writer writing right now in my opinion, and Taipei is no exception. It's not as good as some of his earlier novels or his poetry but its still great. The style is awesome and I often found myself smiling purely based on how good I felt the writing was, not because it was funny, although it is also very funny at times. I read some of the other comments below and it seems some people are complaining about a lack of plot. That's the whole point. A lot does happen it's just all described in a very casual way, because the protagonist, Paul, is bored by almost everything. To me, it's modern day existentialism and a really valuable read. It says a lot about the state of our increasingly digital world and I think there is a lot to be identified with.

I'd also like to add that the fact that Zoella's 'Girl Online' has a higher rating than this book makes me physically sick.

Wolverine: Dangerous Games TPB (Wolverine (Marvel) (Quality Paper))
Wolverine: Dangerous Games TPB (Wolverine (Marvel) (Quality Paper))
by Marcelo Frusin

5.0 out of 5 stars Bas-ass, 22 Jan. 2011
Wolverine is so the man and if all the other x-men bore you then look no further.

This book is just Wolverine on his own, being awesome, tearing everyone to shreds.

The art is amazing too which is actually the reason I like to read comics. I hear people complaining about a lack of story etc but if I wanted an epic story I would read a book or watch a really good film.

For me comics/graphic novels are a fun light read where I don't have to pay too much attention and I can enjoy the art and the character and chill.

Dangerous games is perfect for that. And I reccomend it to any wolverine fans!

I'm Still Here [DVD]
I'm Still Here [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joaquin Phoenix

5.0 out of 5 stars Joaquin Phoenix is the man, 19 Jan. 2011
This review is from: I'm Still Here [DVD] (DVD)
Ever since I first saw Joaquin Phoenix's Letterman interview on Youtube I have been so intrigued to find out what the hell is going on.

Then I found out they were making a film of it, with Casey Afleck directing and my intrigue grew even more.

Then I found out that it was all a 'hoax', but what grabbed me was that Joaquin Phoenix (who I am a huge fan of anyway) actually went and pretended he wanted to be a rapper, acting to the whole world for a very long period of time, which I think is incredible, and when you watch the movie you can see how far he went.

Some critics have argued that he went too far but I think this is one of coolest things anyone has ever done.

Amazing acting, and the entire thing is just hilarious.

And point taken, point made.

Joaquin you are the man.

Laughter in the Dark (Penguin Modern Classics)
Laughter in the Dark (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Vladimir Nabokov

2.0 out of 5 stars Painfully dull, 14 Nov. 2010
This was my first Nabokov novel and one that I had to read for a module on my university degree.

I had heard many good things about Nabokov and was very excited to read a novel by someone who is so highly thought of. I even volunteered to present it to my class.

Big mistake.

I am around 120 pages in and I have never been so painfully bored in my entire life.

The story of a silly old perv and his stupid whore is just not interesting in the slightest, I simply could not care less. Yes it is nicely written, with some great images and language etc, but unfortunately nothing of any interest has happened, so now even these lovely images are just completely lost on me.

If I didnt have to read and present the book for my degree next week I would have stopped a long time ago but unfortunately for me this is not an option.

Let's just hope I don't die of boredom in the next 60 pages because I feel I am getting dangerously close to being the first ever person to perish in such a way.

I'm 22 years old so maybe the subject matter is more interesting for an older generation but for me, very dissapointing.

The only reason I gave it two stars is because it is well written and I do understand that I am perhaps not of the age to enjoy this type of narrative, otherwise deffinately would have been a one star.