Profile for PennieB > Reviews

Content by PennieB

PennieB (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Premier Housewares Chrome Door Stop with Black Rubber Protective Rings, 8 x 7 x 7 cm
Offered by TheOnlineBazzar

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect solution, 20 July 2014
Fantastic. We have a slight "tunnel" effect from the back to the front of the house if we want to leave various doors open on nice days. We solved the "slamming door" problem of two doors with magnetic door stops but these were not suitable for one door. Being quite high, a normal wedge wasn't suitable and I hate the cast-iron book-end type stops.

This was the perfect answer. It fits with our contemporary décor, looks nice enough to leave out in the corner when not in use and, most importantly of all, it keeps the door open when the breeze would otherwise close it.

No problem with marks on the chrome as mentioned by other reviewers. It looks really nice and is heavy enough to do the job.

Solar Powered Water Pump Garden Fountain Pond Feature / Solar Powered Fountain Pump Kit for Fountains, Waterfalls and Water Displays
Offered by bestbuy66

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little water pump but birds a bit wary, 13 April 2014
I bought this to float in a birdbath as I had been told birds like the sound of running water. I didn't want a fountain, just a bubbling water spout and this is possible depending on which of the attachments is used. I cannot fault the little machine. It started working as I walked across the garden to the birdbath and within seconds of placing it in the water it was pumping - on an overcast day in the UK. However, unless it is in full sun, the water spouts in bursts rather than a continuous flow. It does really well to do this and this is not a criticism of the pump, if anything it is a recommendation! The only problem is that the birds don't seem keen to bathe when the pump is running. They will stand on the edge and drink but don't seem to want to get into the water as they did before. Whether they simply need longer to get used to it or whether it is something about the vibration in the water they don't like, I don't know, but we have decided to take it out until sunnier days and see if they get used to it then. Within 20 minutes of taking it out, the birds were back in the water.

I've still given it 5 stars because it seems to be a really good little water pump.

Travalo Easy Refill Travel Parfum Atomizer Spray Bottle in Sleek Silver
Travalo Easy Refill Travel Parfum Atomizer Spray Bottle in Sleek Silver
Offered by Online Beauty Buys

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 19 Jan. 2014
I bought one of these in Duty Free about four years ago and was very pleased with it. I still have the original one and it is working fine but bought this one for a different perfume when I found that they only sell a larger version in Duty Free now (at least where I tried!).

Really good little atomizer which is great for handbag or taking on holiday when a large perfume bottle is not practical.

Universal Bottle Holder
Universal Bottle Holder
Offered by GoVacuum

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful product, 8 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Universal Bottle Holder (Misc.)
We have a small separate fridge that we mainly use for drinks and I got fed up with the bottles that didn't fit upright in the door rolling around on the shelves. I bought two of these and the problem is solved. The one nearer the bottom of the fridge has to hold shorter bottles as otherwise the door doesn't close (because the tops touch the bottles that are in the door) but this isn't a problem, we just put tonic bottles in there rather than wine.

William Armes Rug Stop, 130 x 60 cm
William Armes Rug Stop, 130 x 60 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 6 Nov. 2013
We have a very large coir mat (door mat) at the front door which was rucking up against the threshold every time anyone came in and wiped their feet. We were surprised how much it moved, given the size of it and that it fitted perfectly against walls either side. It was very annoying, straightening it every few minutes (it seemed!).

I read the reviews of the other type of "rug stops" and decided to go with this. It is clear, straight away, that it works. Brilliant, unobtrusive and even washable if it starts to slip because it gets dirty.

Thanks to the reviewer who advised not to be penny-pinching and to cover the whole of the underside. Good advice, I think.

Update:
Ten days on..... still haven't had to adjust the mat - not even once. Fantastic!

Bosch 3 Piece SDS Plus Drill Bit Set
Bosch 3 Piece SDS Plus Drill Bit Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set...., 14 Aug. 2013
We bought these, really, just for the wide chisel for getting floor tiles up. We had a bit of an unfortunate experience with the drill (see my review for the SDS drill) but the chisel (and the smaller one which we also used) were fantastic - both in the defective drill and the one we bought as a replacement for it. I like the adjustable screw container too - useful for storing very long drill bits in addition to those that come in it!

Bosch PBH 2100 RE SDS 1.7J 550 Watt Pneumatic Rotary Hammer Drill
Bosch PBH 2100 RE SDS 1.7J 550 Watt Pneumatic Rotary Hammer Drill

3.0 out of 5 stars I trust this was a one off..., 14 Aug. 2013
I bought this drill, having read reviews for a number of SDS drills, for a specific job - getting kitchen floor tiles (and the adhesive)off a concrete floor.

It was very good and did the job very well but I noticed it got quite hot quite quickly and so let it cool down every few minutes (which slowed down the job). Then, about 5 minutes into the task the next day, there was a "pop" and the thing burned out.

We had to go to the local DIY store where they had a special offer on a higher wattage one - just £30! We finished the job with that.

In the past, our Bosch tools have been very good and so I have given this a 3 because I don't suppose this particular tool is typical and Amazon were brilliant - the return process on the defective drill could not have been simpler. So, my mark for the drill while it was working is 5. Mark for Amazon return system is 5 but the mark for this specific drill is 1! I don't want a good tool to be marked down because of a defective example. Maybe the manufacturing should go back to Germany rather than China!

My only comment would be that, for taking up floor tiles, the more powerful one we bought to replace this was better and so, if buying an SDS drill in the future, I would always go for a 900+ Watt rather than a 550W like this. For household drilling jobs like drilling the odd hole into masonry etc., this one is fine though.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 12, 2014 9:05 AM BST

Tefal Cheese Preserver - Large
Tefal Cheese Preserver - Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Good purchase, 30 May 2013
I have used ordinary plastic boxes to keep cheese in and they were never really satisfactory. I pondered whether to get the small one but decided that "what'll holda lot'll holda little" and went for the large one. I'm really pleased I did. It fits nicely into the fridge and even with Stilton and Dolcelatte in there there was no smell in the fridge. Very good.

Husband, who initially said, "it is a very expensive plastic box", now thinks it was a good buy.

If I can find a little glass "chopping board" that will fit inside, I might see how that works (leaving it in) because cutting down onto the plastic "board" probably isn't a good idea long-term.

The Soup Bible. All the soups you will ever need in one inspirational collection.
by Debra Mayhew

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely recipes, 25 April 2013
I bought this book after being served the Red Pepper and Sweet Potato soup from it when I visited a friend. Delicious!

I've already made that one for my own visitors and have already highlighted another half dozen to trial!

Blue Seal 22042 Chrome 2 Stepstool
Blue Seal 22042 Chrome 2 Stepstool

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and well designed, 25 April 2013
I had been looking for a step-stool like this for a couple of months but all the ones I found in highstreet stores seemed rather lightweight. Based on the reviews of this one, I decided to go for it. I am very pleased. I particularly like the locking mechanism. It seems well designed and robust. Very good.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3