Profile for Les Cotterill > Reviews

Apple TV MD199HK/A
Apple TV MD199HK/A
Offered by SkynetShopping

3.0 out of 5 stars Do not rely on Apple TV for wi-fi connection, 1 May 2014
This review is from: Apple TV MD199HK/A (Electronics)
I am only giving this 3 star as I have had a 2nd generation Apple TV for over 2 years and found the Ethernet connection to be very good (only problem being my Apple TV is nowhere near my modem so have to re figure everything just to see if it works).

The wi-fi side keeps dropping out and will not find my modem. When on odd occasions it does find the modem it sometimes does not accept the modem password. I have done all updates and even done reset. In general terms it looks pretty but is totally useless to me as unable to connect without moving furniture and modem to get them near each other. It has caused many arguments between me and my children as they blame me for the connection failure.

Jurassic Park [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Jurassic Park [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Sam Neill

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent in 3D, 17 Jan 2014
Watched the original when it first came out on video, then DVD so know the film well. The 3D version is very very good. The clarity is superb and the 3D is excellent. I suppose after the first 20 minutes or so you forget you are watching 3D but you definitely know you are watching something of much better quality than DVD or simple Blu-ray . Knowing the film as well as I do I had to have something more than just a good film and this version certainly allowed me to get far more out of the film than I expected..... Well worth having in the collection.

WD 3 TB for NAS My Cloud Personal Cloud Storage
WD 3 TB for NAS My Cloud Personal Cloud Storage

5.0 out of 5 stars This is very good, 26 Oct 2013
I bought the 2Tb package about a week ago. As a middle aged person with limited computer skills it took me a while to understand just how simple it is to install and create User, Shares and Cloud Access.

When you read the instructions they are laid out in separate boxes and it was difficult for me to understand how they relate to each other.

So please, if you are wanting a good product but may be a little doubtful about your ability to set it up, then once you have plugged in the box to the mains and your Internet router just follow these very simple rules .

From the glossy white page of setup instructions go to [...] as at point 2 then follow points 3 & 4.

You can create anybody as a User. If you want them to be able to access the system anywhere in the world on either a mac or PC or tablet, android, iPhone or iPad or I presume any other suitable device make sure you enter an e-mail address for the user.

You have now created your Users but that is only a list of people inside the system it has not created anything for you or them to view.

Now create Share. There will already be Public and SmartWare listed. As you create each user that persons name will also appear in the Shares list. A point to note is that it takes a few minutes to update the system showing the names in Shares so just because you created it does not mean it is necessarily there straight away.

I want to let far flung relatives see family pictures so I created a Share called Photos. By creating this as a share rather than Public I can control level of access by each user. My father in law would be likely to press the wrong button and delete the lot so he only has View access.

Cloud Access is where you actually assign different devices that can be accessed by each user.

Once you have created your Users, Shares and Cloud Access then simply set your Shares to either Public or Private. If you select Private then the option will be given for what level of access you can give to each user.

This to me is the beauty of the system. I have my own storage device and my own Cloud .... Not some facility in a place I do not know.

I tried to use a cloud facility before but after 3 days it was still uploading my photos. With this device everything was on in 2 hours and I use Time Machine to back up my system.

I know nothing lasts for ever, but I have over 20gig of photos so far so to use the normal 5 gig free storage offered by most companies would mean a lot of messing about.

Hopefully by the time this device starts to show its age, the cost of SDD storage will have come down and I will hopefully be able to store without having to worry about system failure.

Until then I am very happy with this device.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2014 4:58 PM BST

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of what you buy, 6 Sep 2013
I am new to DSLR photography and went on line to buy a lens hood for my Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens. On reading the web site I thought (incorrectly) that I was purchasing the correct lens hood. I did not appreciate the letters STM at the end were also important. Needless to say I purchased the wrong lens hood. The hood arrived in good time and well packaged. It did not fit so I sent an e-mail as required to seek a refund. I can get a refund but I have got to pay the postage.

My reason for this review is not to rubbish either Amazon or JJC as both have been helpful and I got what I ordered. My reason is to warn potential purchasers that all the letters and numbers on the lens need to be taken into account when deciding which hood you may want to buy.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2014 11:20 AM BST

Canon Remote Switch RS-60 E3
Canon Remote Switch RS-60 E3

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought one each for wife and self, 28 Aug 2013
It does not make the tea or change television channels but as a remote for my Canon 60D and my wife's Canon 700D it is just what we are looking for. I have used mine mainly for night shots or when using a tripod to prevent shake on camera. Delivery time was excellent. A point to remember is that it is simply a remote for the shutter button. it does not have a timer or any other function. Well worth the purchase.

Epson 3D Glasses (RF) - ELPGS03
Epson 3D Glasses (RF) - ELPGS03
Offered by Superfi

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good glasses, 7 May 2013
Bought 2 pair to go with my Epson tw8100. They are only 25gram (1ounce) in weight so you do not know you are wearing them. Both my wife and myself wear glasses and we have had no problem wearing them in addition to our normal glasses. Just remember to put the 3D disc in before turning the glasses on. Forgot to do this a coupe of times and could not work out why they were not working.

The quality of the picture is exceptionally good. The picture is a bit darker in 3D rather than 2D because of the glasses but I did not need to change the projector settings.

Bose ® QuietComfort ® 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones - Black/Silver
Bose ® QuietComfort ® 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones - Black/Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant headphones, 12 July 2012
I have been looking for a decent set of headphones for some time and these are just what I have been looking for. I have had them for about 2 months and use them on a regular basis so feel my review is based on a reasonable amount of use.

I usually have problems with headphones causing pain after about 30 minutes wear. I have worn these for up to 3 hours on a plane on 2 occasions with no pain at all.

The noise reduction is very good. Whilst it does not cancel all the noise (it is not supposed to), it does reduce the background noise to a minimum and does allow you to listen to the music/DVD. One of the flights had 2 big Stag party groups making a lot of noise. The headphones cut out the aeroplane noise and made the voices sound as if they were mere whispering.

I like the ability to use them as a noise reducer simply by turning them on, even if not listening to music etc.

They are very comfortable and come with a good carry case and spare cable.

I have noise reducing in-ear Sony headphones and whilst I thought they were good, the Bose are much much better. I accept they are over the ear rather than in ear, but as a user I find there is no comparison.

I use a rechargeable battery and find it lasts for several hours. The current charge has lasted for 2 flights(3 hours each) and respective airport checking and about 30-40 more hours use.

I am not sure if there is an auto cut off, but there have been a few times when I have forgotten to turn them off even though I have turned the music off.

As to the sound quality, I listen to various types of music, from classical to Hans Zimmer, Phil Collins, Queen and Jean Michel Jarre and find the sound to be brilliant.

Whilst I accept they cost a lot I am very pleased with the purchase and thoroughly recommend them.

Apple MD199B/A TV
Apple MD199B/A TV
Offered by Digitalab

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 15 May 2012
This review is from: Apple MD199B/A TV (Electronics)
I had been reading the reviews on the Apple TV for some time and had mixed feelings on what to expect. I bought an ipad3 2 weeks ago and looked at what I could use with it.. I saw a quick demonstration of the Apple TV at the Apple store in Birmingham and realised I could use it to play my music and videos as well as show my pictures on my Panasonic TV . What I did not appreciate was just how easy it was to set it up and use. In addition I had not realised how much can be obtained as a stand alone item without using the iPad as the controller.

The quality of the music, pictures and video is fantastic. I downloaded Where Eagles Dare from iTunes onto my iPad and played it on my TV through the Apple TV connected to my Onkyo amp by HDMI cable. The amp has an HDMI out whiich is connected to the HDMI input on the TV, so the one lead from the Apple TV sends both picture and sound into the amp and the amp then sends the audio to the speakers and the picture to the TV. Bearing in mind this was filmed in 1968 and I only bought the standard version, the picture quality is brilliant and the sound is also first rate.

I also have an old Marantz amplifier and TV in another room. The amp does not have the facility of HDMI in and out but it does have facility to use an optical lead for the sound. The TV does have an HDMI in connection. I was able to take an HDMI lead from the
Apple TV and plug it into the TV ( but turned the TV volume down to zero) and took an optical cable from the Apple TV to the Marantz amp. The result was still lovely picture and sound.

By using the Apple TV controller without the use of the iPad I can still watch YouTube, see podcasts, listen to radio channels and view iTunes.

I appreciate that using an iPad and Apple TV is a very expensive remote controller for your TV and music, but when you consider what you can actually use them to view and listen to it is a brilliant way of taking control of your entertainment system. I have actually composed this entry using my iPad, so it is much more than just a controller.

For me this has been a sound investment
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2013 11:21 PM BST

Take That - The Circus Live [Blu-ray] [2009] [Region Free]
Take That - The Circus Live [Blu-ray] [2009] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Take That

5.0 out of 5 stars thoroughly entertaining, 3 July 2010
Let me make it clear ..... I am NOT a Take That fan (Phil Collins yes) .... but .... what a fantastic show and on blu ray the colours and clarity are beyond belief. My son and his girlfriend went to see the concert live and thought it was very good. I was flicking the channels on the TV over Christmas when the concert was broadcast and realised then that it was a good visual concert. Based on a circus the acts and visual images were very good. Having watched the concert on TV I had considered getting the DVD as thought it would be better production than the TV version. I then bought a blu ray machine so decided to get the blu ray version ..... good choice. Even if like me you are male in your 50's and not a fan from the first time round, I believe you will still be very impressed with the showmanship of Take That and the non stop enjoyment of the circus performers/acts ..... especially the 'elephant'.

Sony NWZX1060B X Series 32GB MP4 Walkman with WiFi - Black
Sony NWZX1060B X Series 32GB MP4 Walkman with WiFi - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic piece of kit, 16 Jun 2009
I use both Mac & Windows, so I was happy with either the i-touch or the Sony X series. I had also looked at the ipods and the Sony S Series.

I have had no problems transferring music from either my Mac or my Windows tower. I did have a problem transferring a video clip on the drag & drop, but that was because it was not formatted correctly. I then opened it in Windows Media player, pressed Rip, which converted it to a format viewable on the X player and I have not had any problems since.

I felt the ipods & the S Series were missing something both in style and content. The i-touch and the X series have the bigger screens and are very easy to navigate with the touch screens.

I have spent a number of years traveling on the train to & from work and have spent many a happy hour listening to either the radio or MP3 through my mobile phone.

I was looking for something that would give me very good sound quality, solid build, very good screen quality and the ability to for it to sit in my shirt or coat pocket without bulging the pockets.

I first got the idea of an MP4 player when I saw 2 men on the train (separate to each other) watching something and appeared completely oblivious to what was going on around them.

The i-touch is quite big but does not have a radio. Personally, having now had the chance to play with my X Series and having viewed a few i-touch (my son has one), I find the X series to be more compact and has a much nicer feel to it.

The i-touch has the apps, but as I say, I already have a mobile phone so do not want for all those apps.

The X series does have Wi-Fi and this is brilliant, especially on You-Tube, when you have selected an album and want to see other videos from the artist. If for only that reason I would give it 5 stars.

The radio sounds good and the quality is not much below that of my Sony DAB radio with stereo speakers.

The screen quality is better than brilliant. I just cannot praise the screen quality enough.

The touch screen is so easy to use in selecting Album, Artist etc . One flick and your list of Albums or tracks glides easily up or down the screen. It is sometimes a bit tricky to flick the screen without actually selecting an album or track, but that is only a very minor annoyance.

Playing video is like watching a very high quality HD screen - albeit only 3 inches long. I have had no difficulty in watching You-Tube video and even film clips ,,, don't forget the player is only a short distance away from your eyes.

I have the 32GB version and already have about 40 albums on it .... I still have 27GB left.

I have now got used to using the headphones and the noise cancelling really does work .... just make sure you have the right size buds on ... I have to have a different size for each ear .... to see if it works, sit it in an are where people are talking but do not play any music. Turn the noise cancelling on and you should notice a big difference in the noise around you. If like me you tried it once the music was playing you may not really notice much difference so will not realise just how much it is taking out.

The internet is not easy to use, but I will keep trying.

As I say, I even looked at the S-Series .... I was very impressed with it and actually bought one for my wife .... my wife is not interested in the touch screen or the Wi-Fi.

Bottom line .... of you want a 'toy' and you want top quality, then you cannot get better than the X Series.... well worth the money.