Profile for L. Wisener > Reviews

Content by L. Wisener

L. Wisener "Lee W" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Genius GX Gaming SW-G2.1 3000 - 70W 2.1 Channel Gaming Speaker System, Wooden Cabinet Subwoofer with Heart-Beating Bass
Offered by PreisCompany

5.0 out of 5 stars Worst purchase ever :), 3 Jun 2014
Honestly I bought these because they just seemed like the updated version of the ones I bought many years ago.

The issue is though that I keep going to pick out random things on youtube that are titled "amazing bass" and well, the neighbours think it;s amazing too, so much so they have started gathering outside my house with burning torches chanting "get an asbo for this ****"

Originally I thought I had become quite popular because someone kept knocking my front door but there was nobody there, it was in actual fact the speakers causing the door to vibrate like someone was knocking it.

My wife says "it's me or the speakers". I have asked for a week to think about it.

In honesty though, they are great speakers, too much bass for me though, my old speakers are really so old (10 years) that this just seems to demonstrate how much things advance.

If you live in a flat or terrace then these are probably not going to be a popular purchase, but hey, popularity is over rated.

York Active 110 Cross Trainer
York Active 110 Cross Trainer

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this, if it develops the front column noise issue you will hate it., 19 April 2014
I had to come back and write a review of this. Initially it worked well and I have no issue with it in terms of it doing the job as a Cross Trainer should however as some have already pointed out it may develop the most annoying fault ever for a machine like this.

The front column on mine has started to get noisy, can't figure it out at all. Now when I say noisy, I don't just mean a little noisy, I mean so noisy you just can't use it. It's like a loud grating noise. Believe me I am not over exaggerating, it's so loud and bad.

I have tried to figure it out and just can't find out what is causing it. Only when you put pressure on the front column left to right, which you can't avoid.

I stripped it down to see if it was a single component causing it, however having done that and then just used a bit of force to move the column the noise is still there. I first thought it was the weld at the bottom going but it seems fine, the more I Listen it's as if the noise is coming from the area around the tension dial but that does not make sense.

If someone has figured it out let me know.

I just can't recommend this unit though in case it happens to you, it will seriously drive you crazy. If you use it inside the house among others it will drive them crazy too. Fortunately I converted my garage so use it there but that does not excuse the issue.

TeckNet® High Precision Programmable Laser Gaming Mouse, Gaming Mouse, 4000 DPI, 7 Programmable Button, 5 User Profiles, Omron Micro Switches
Offered by TECKNET

5.0 out of 5 stars Very surprised, 19 April 2014
I bought this to put in my laptop bag as I like to do a bit of gaming when away on trips. It looks good and the description speaks a good game in terms of it's ability but I expected the reality to be slightly difference. Nope, great little mouse, very sturdy, looks good and performs very well. I use an expensive R.A.T mouse on my desktop so I know a good quality mouse however if you need something that just works and works well get this.

Trust Elight LED Illuminated Keyboard
Trust Elight LED Illuminated Keyboard

1.0 out of 5 stars Very flimsy!, 20 April 2013
I will point out right at the start here that I have returned this keyboard, a number of keys were just floating in the box when I opened it, kind of hard to damage a well packaged keyboard, perhaps just the throwing about of the parcel caused it during its delivery.

From the time I did spend looking at it the keys felt very smooth and easy to connect which is exactly what I was looking for, I plugged it into the usb port and the 3 colour back light was really nice.

It does not change the fact that it felt like I have to treat it carefully, there was just no feeling of quality to it, ok it's not the most expensive however at £24 it's far from "budget".

Some people seem happy with it and had it been in one piece I would have kept it and used, but my review would not change.

PHP & MySQL: Novice to Ninja
PHP & MySQL: Novice to Ninja
by Kevin Yank

4.0 out of 5 stars Want to learn php & mySQL? Start here, 6 Jan 2013
This is the 5th update to this book by Kevin Yank. I have the 1st and 3rd.

I do not by any means consider myself an expert in either topic, rather that I can get by creating database driven applications that I need.

What the book does is quite simple, it walks you through the setup of a local testing area on your home pc or laptop. You do not need the internet at to follow the book. It then takes you through the stages of building a website to store jokes, in effect you are building a website that allows jokes to be entered, edited and so on.

It is very hands on and get's you straight into the detail without any long winded introduction which we all hate right?

It's easy to follow and Kevin has a good style, he appreciates you are probably nervous about new languages and writes in very friendly style.

What you should appreciate though is that this book is about getting you in quickly and learning, the end result being a completed project. Just bear in mind that these days things like interenet security are more important than ever, the book is not going to teach you advanced techniques and once you have finished the book there is still a lot to learn. Not that I am trying to scare you, just point out that in this kind of area there is always more to learn.

PHP release updates fairly often so you need to pay attention to what they are changing and how it may impact your code.

Definately worth the read if you are looking to get into this area. Get it now whilst it is at it's most up to date position.

Don't forget to visit sitepoint.com who publish the book, there is a huge forum, lots of tutorials and more to help you out.

Elements Sterling Silver Ladies' E3057T Blue Topaz Teardrop Earrings
Elements Sterling Silver Ladies' E3057T Blue Topaz Teardrop Earrings
Offered by SILVER ROCK JEWELLERY

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I also bought the necklace :), 16 Dec 2012
I bought this for my wife, it's exactly the colours she likes. I was quite nervous though, it's not a not of money for Jewellery and was worried it would arrive and I would think, uggh, poor quality, I was robbed...

But no, quite the opposite, it looks good, feels weighty and decent quality, so I was well pleased and came back to order the necklace to match and they were also as expected.

Brownie points on Christmas day I think!

Elements Sterling Silver Blue Topaz Teardrop Pendant on 46cm Box Chain P2621T
Elements Sterling Silver Blue Topaz Teardrop Pendant on 46cm Box Chain P2621T
Offered by SILVER ROCK JEWELLERY

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 16 Dec 2012

But no, quite the opposite, it looks good, feels weighty and decent quality, so I was well pleased and came back to order the earrings to match and they were also as expected.

Brownie points on Christmas day I think!

Me To You 8"Tatty Teddy Bear Holding Santas Sack With Love
Me To You 8"Tatty Teddy Bear Holding Santas Sack With Love
Offered by Snuggle

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded Expectation, 16 Dec 2012
I was just looking through amazon for wife gifts and saw this, I always get my wife a soft toy at every occassion.

Really good quality and well packaged and quite fitting for a christmas gift.

Definately recomended if your looking for this kind of gift.

Acer Iconia A210 10.1 inch Tablet - Grey (Nvidia Tegra T30L 1.2GHz, 1GB RAM, 16GB SSD, WiFi, BT, 2x Webcam, Android 4.1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Acer just does tablets really well., 16 Dec 2012
**Just a side note here, since posting this review the price has went from £199 to near £250. Call me suspicious however there is no reason for that kind of hike. The price tag is now currently not worth it for this unit. I suggest therefore that any readers look towards something like the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, you are getting more for around that price. Whilst the Acer is really good value needs to be considered, so avoid at this price tag**

I bought this tablet for my daughter, I have an asus transformer however for a 14 year old that was not an option. I looked long and hard at budget tablets and it had to be a 10.1 inch screen as she is mostly going to use it for watching videos.

Really struggled choosing one, there are so many from as little as £80 right up to my maximum limit of £200.

First off here is why I went for the Aconia.

Processor:

It's an Nivida Quad Core, top quality and will handle whatever you throw at it from video to games and so on. Bags of power to keep the tablet running well.

Memory:

1GB DDR3, again latest memory type, 1GB is really a must when video is a prime factor in it's use and like a pc it gets bogged down with lots of apps running. The less memory the slower it will go.

Screen:

With 1280x800 screen resolution and also 1080 pixel High Definition it ticks all the boxes for watching videos, yes there are better but there are much, much worse!

Storage:

With 16gb of space to store things on it's decent but you can expand that to 32gb, perfectley good for my daughters needs.

Wi-fi:

802.11b,g and n, the n being important at many only have b and g. The importance of that is clear when you want to stream video, b is sluggish, g is ok but then n is best. Check your router, if you can run wireless using 802.11n then I would steer away from those that do not offer it.

General use:

Out of the box it is setup in about 10 minutes and ready to go. It runs android Ice Cream Sandwich, the latest operating system is Jelly Bean and many just won't upgrade, however there is a note attached to the tablet that you can upgrade straight away to Jelly Bean which is great.

I have watched a couple of films on it, one on the device and another from netflicks, nothing bad to say at all, no issues with the film pausing every so often like some do while it buffers. Battery life is giving about 6-8 hours which I feel is adequate.

You get full unrestricted access to google play store and all it's apps.

The touch screen is very responsive, no issues with it at all.

Weight wise it's fine, certainly not the lightest, my asus is lighter however it's light enough to hold and feels quite sturdy even though the plastic backing does feel a bit thin.

Overall I have given it 5/5. It actually exceeded my expectations, as I mentioned I own a £500 asus transformer so it had to go some to impress but it did. It's a great all rounder that will give a lot of fun. Acer is a well known and quality brand, this shows that off.

Be very careful choosing a cheap tablet:

I appreciate not everyone has deep pockets and budgets are tight these days. However please do your research when buying a tablet, think about what the tablet will be used for and whether the ones you are looking at fit the bill. Read reviews especially, that is where you will get your best information.

I have the chance to try out 3 different tablets that friends gave me to check over that they bought for presents. They cost £89, £110 and £135. All of them? Well I would not recomend any for anything other than light application use and web browsing, none produced an enjoyable viewing experience. Here are the main things I found between them.

Battery life less than 4 hours.
Limited access to google play store and in some cases extremely restricted.
Poorly lit screen, poor quality images, sometimes unwatchable for tv/film.
Touch screen unresponsive, often having to double and triple click to get it to work.
Watching any video over wi-fi is very poor, constant pauses in video, every 5 minutes it locks up whilst it buffers more video.

Hence the reason I went for the Acer, it had none of these issues. Not saying cheap is bad but cheap tablets are cutting corners in areas that make them painful to use in one way or another.

Hope that helps!
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2013 5:40 PM GMT

Building WordPress Themes from Scratch
Building WordPress Themes from Scratch
by Joe Casabona

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, nothing more, nothing less., 11 Nov 2012
I bought this book because I wanted a quick insight into wordpress themes. No long laboured introductions of 100 pages before you do anything, just straight in with a worked example.

Page: 1 | 2