Profile for James > Reviews

Content by James

James "I'm a retired security guard. I enjoy Sci-Fi, Crime novels & Dickens. My musical tastes range from Classical {British Composeres} to Folk." (MARYPORT, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
The Touch Of Venus
The Touch Of Venus

5.0 out of 5 stars The Touch Of Venus, 4 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Touch Of Venus (MP3 Download)
I rate this at five stars not just because I love the track but also because the Amazon MP3 download is excellent. The Quality is tops, with good clarity, which probably means it 's taken from a good quality CD. If there are any Soul and R&B lovers out there who have not yet discovered Sandy Wynns then my advice is buy this track. You'll love it and her.

Shrine - the Rarest Soul Label Vol.1
Shrine - the Rarest Soul Label Vol.1

5.0 out of 5 stars Shrine - the Rarest Soul Label Vol. 1, 15 Dec. 2013
Recordings on the KENT label usually deserve five stars for the excellent quality of the sound and this CD certainly does. The choice of tracks is first class with some very fine rarities amongst them. I have no hesitation in recommending this disc to any Northern Soul fan. I look forward to adding volume two to my N.S. collection. Well done Kent.

The Clocks: Complete & Unabridged
The Clocks: Complete & Unabridged
by Agatha Christie

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cocks : Agatha Christie., 15 Dec. 2013
This is one of my three favourite Christie novels and I really enjoy the reading of Hugh Fraser, whose Poirot voice is very similar to that of David Suchet in his readings of Poirot stories. I find that I appreciate the fact that H.F. dosen't try a different Poirot accent to that of Suchet. This isn't by any means the best Poirot story, as other reviewers have said, particularly as in Cat Among The Pigeons Poirot only appears towards the end of the story, but I like it as I do C.A.T.P. It's nice I think that Christie veered from her usual formula to create other amateur investigators to solve the puzzle, only turning to Poirot when they find themselves out of their depth. My five stars are for the excellent reading of Hugh Fraser.

The Third Man
The Third Man
by Graham Greene

5.0 out of 5 stars The Third Man (Audio Reading)., 14 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Third Man (Audio CD)
I 'm a huge fan of this story by Graham Green and this is an excellent reading of the story by Martin Jarvis who, in my opinion, is one of the best audio book readers there is. It is basically faithful to the way the movie was filmed, with the story told from the viewpoint of Colonel Calloway and the short musical intros to each chapter of the Harry Lime Theme makes this a first class audio book which i have no hesitation in giving five stars. I recommend this version to any audio book fan and fan of the novella.

A Cellarful of Motown Vol.3
A Cellarful of Motown Vol.3

4.0 out of 5 stars A Cellarfull of Motown Vol. 3, 19 Oct. 2013
Bought it to complete my collection of Cellarfull of Motown albums. Not as good as the other three releases in the series, hence the four stars, but still worth buying for another set of previously unreleased tracks from the Motown vaults. I'd recommend it to all those who, like me, bought the other collections in the series, if only for the sake of owning the complete series. If there are to be other releases in this series I hope they'll come up to the standard of volumes 1 : 2 and 4.

Marnie [Blu-ray] [1964] [Region Free]
Marnie [Blu-ray] [1964] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Diane Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Marnie {Blu-ray} [1964] [Region Free]., 19 Oct. 2013
One of my favourite Hitchcock movies and this Blu-ray edition is spot on.It looks great in its natural wide screen ratio and the transfer is probably as good as Universal ever is -- which means it's way short of the Warner Bros. Blu-ray release of North by Northwest which is brilliant. My five stars are for the release in its natural widescreen ratio and acceptable extras.

Detroit Soul & R&B - Rare Tracks
Detroit Soul & R&B - Rare Tracks

5.0 out of 5 stars Detroit Soul & R&B - Rare Tracks., 19 Oct. 2013
A great collection. Plenty of familiar tracks but also a large number of tracks I hadn't heard before which is why I give it five stars. The quality is excellent and i'd recommend this collection to any fan of Northern Soul.

Tales from the Perilous Realm
Tales from the Perilous Realm
by Brian Sibley

5.0 out of 5 stars Tales from the Perilous Realm., 22 Sept. 2013
I give this product five stars because I love the stories and there's no one I'd rather listen to reading them than Sir Derek Jacobi. I've loved listening to his voice ever since I heard him read the Brother Cadfael novels and the ghost stories of M. R. James. Harper Collins recordings are first class, clear and bright. I'd recommend this edition to all Tolkien fans everywhere.

T SHIRT LP (VINYL ALBUM) UK CBS 1988
T SHIRT LP (VINYL ALBUM) UK CBS 1988

5.0 out of 5 stars T Shirt LP (Vinyl Album) UK CBS 1988., 22 Sept. 2013
I've always wanted a copy of this Crickets album and to get it on Vinyl is fantastic. It arrived well ahead of the advised delivery date and it is an excellent copy which plays extremely well. Not a click anywhere. I would recommend this album to all Crickets fans as there is not a bad track on it. Full marks to the supplier. Would definitely order from them again.

A Christmas Carol The original manuscript
A Christmas Carol The original manuscript

5.0 out of 5 stars A Christmas Carol The original manuscript., 22 Sept. 2013
Like most people I love this Dickens story and to be able to read it in its original form is wonderful which is why I chose this edition rather than the more usual versions. I would recommend this to all fans of this great story.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10