Profile for Aimee Bellamy > Reviews

Content by Aimee Bellamy

Aimee Bellamy (Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent product, 30 April 2013
> Cheap price
> Quick delivery
> Works fine
> Simple and easy to use
> Pretty basic functionality, the bare minimum - fewer buttons on the remote than for more expensive DVD players, which is fine by me!

RHA MA150 Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones
RHA MA150 Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent product, 30 April 2013
> Very comfortable (once I figured out how they fit).
> Just wearing the headphones with no music playing shuts out most of the sound from traffic, people speaking to you, roadworks etc.
> Sound quality is decent.
These are my third pair of noise isolating in-ear earphones, but the first I've had from RHA, and they are just as good as the others.

Qualtex Dust Bags For Electrolux Powerplus Z4435 & Z4499 Vacuum Cleaners Pack of 10
Offered by Suds-Online
Price: 6.10

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised but works fine., 17 Jan 2011
Initially the wrong product was sent. Contacted the seller, returned that item and received another item. This is also not the same as the product shown in the image (it is micro-fibre bags rather than paper bags) but is intended for the same model of vacuum as the item I ordered, whereas the original item I was sent was not for the right vacuum either. These bags work in my vacuum so I am not going to fuss about getting what I ordered. The replacement was dispatched very quickly.

Okenspay Ordwa
Okenspay Ordwa
Price: 21.65

3.0 out of 5 stars STOP!, 19 July 2005
This review is from: Okenspay Ordwa (Audio CD)
This is not an album.
This is not a surprisingly cheap Bif Naked CD with a surprisingly large number of songs on it. It is not music. It is not what you think it is.
"This is a spoken word record, no singing at all."
This is Bif Naked ranting. And it's very very strange.
I have to review this CD, because I bought it thinking it was all the things it isn't. If you want to hear music, this is not for you. If you've heard a Bif Naked song, and want to hear more, go look at 'Purge' or something - this isn't what you want.
If, however, you read the leaflet in Purge and loved Bif's little comments around the song lyrics, you may quite enjoy this. Every track is a monologue, it's all just Bif talking about stuff...all sorts of things. In track 10 (Alcohol is the Root) Bif tells how she had her first beer, when she was 12, in the back of a van with a 16 year old boy putting his hands down her pants. Track 8 begins: "Ask yourself if you're an asshole" and goes on to ask "are you a gossip? do you talk about your neighbour? do you talk about people you don't know and speak negatively?"
It is a very amusing record, to be honest. "Poor you with your apartment and your levis and your ex still phoning..." and "Right now, wherever you are, listening to this , I can garantee you I'm probably. somewhere...else."
I am disappointed in this, because I thought I was getting music. But it is a great idea...it's almost like a poetry reading, not so much stand-up comedy as stand-up insulting. Ranting, to entertain. "In the bible it says that you're not supposed to mutilate or decorate your body cos God will get really cheesed at you..." and it goes on.
I hope this is useful to you, because there was no review here when I bought this and so I was woefully led astray...but I do have to say, Bif Naked ROCKS.

The Well at the World's End: Volume I: 1
The Well at the World's End: Volume I: 1
by William Morris
Price: 10.21

3.0 out of 5 stars The Longest Ever Fairytale, 2 Jun 2005
I used to think William Morris was just an artist - his paintings beautiful pre-raphealite masterpieces, but his only artistic output. However, it turns out he was also a poet and an author, and possibly (according to the introduction to my copy of the book, at least) the first real fantasy writer, the one who Tolkien looked to for inspiration.
When Ralph runs away from his home in Upmeads in search of adventures, little does he realise what awaits him. No sooner has Ralph stepped outside the borders of his father's kingdom than he first hears mention of the WELL AT THE WORLD'S END (capitalised throughout, for no obvious reason), and gradually he comes to see that there his journey will inevitably lead. From escaping danger in the Burg of Four Friths to finding love in the wilderness with the Lady of the Land of Abundance; from travelling with chapmen (traders) to thralldom (slavery) in Utterbol; no amount of hitherfores and meseemeths can keep Ralph from his quest.
'The Well at the World's End' was William Morris' second novel, and apparently both longer and better than the first ('The Wood Beyond the Worlds'). It's set in a different world (which is nevertheless full of references to Jesus and other recognisable Earth beings that no modern fantasy writer could get away with) and tells the story of a young prince named Ralph. In true fairytale style it's very difficult to feel at all attached to the characters (it uses such fancy language you spend half your time translating, and doesn't bother really trying to get inside their heads) but it's still a good adventure, and anyone who can manage the language of Lord of the Rings without a problem should read it, just for the challenge.

Lean Routine - Step Ahead With Carolan Brown [VHS]
Lean Routine - Step Ahead With Carolan Brown [VHS]
Offered by rdowns33
Price: 19.80

3.0 out of 5 stars pretty good, 8 May 2004
We used this in our step aerobics lessons in school and I found it really good. If you actually follow the workout properly, rather than messing around (like most of my classmates), then you can really feel the difference. It doesn't go too fast, like some do, and works on many parts of the body.

She (Oxford World's Classics)
She (Oxford World's Classics)
by H. Rider Haggard

4.0 out of 5 stars A fantasy In Its Own Right, 24 Dec 2003
Other reviewers have shared with you the storyline of this fantastic book, so I won't repeat them. What I want to point out, however, is that this is more than merely an example of an outdated writing style. The fact that the story has been copied subtracts nothing from the quality of the book or writing. Fantasy such as this, though it was both written and set a long time ago, can always live on in the mind, and Ayesha is a very real person. Sure, the constant references to her beauty are pretty annoying, and she is very fantastical, and the storyline may even seem a little cliche these days, but despite her otherworldiness She has a developed character and personality. The story is magical and enjoyable, and is NOT fit only to be read by people studying the literature of a bygone age - it is a good book for any fantasy fan.

The Real Witches' Handbook: A Complete Introduction to the Craft
The Real Witches' Handbook: A Complete Introduction to the Craft
by Kate West
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars The REAL Witches' Handbook, 22 Dec 2003
This is only a brief review, seeing as other reviewers have discussed most things. This was the third Craft book I purchased and I haven't bought one since. My expoloration of the Craft is not complete, but this book took away my burning need to find more and more information. It provided me with all the basics, all together (rather than scattered across various websites) and I had no urgent need for more. After reading this, the pace of my research slowed considerably - I had what I had so desperately needed.
It is only basics though, and you must go elsewhere for details on deities, herbal lore, crystals, etc. If you want a spellbook, though this does contain spells, it probably isn't what you want. It tells you how to Cast the Circle, Draw Down the Moon, all about the Rite of Wine and Cakes - basics. It's usefull, but probably not that good for someone who is already very sure of the Craft and their tradition.

The Wee Free Men (Discworld Novels)
The Wee Free Men (Discworld Novels)
by Terry Pratchett

5.0 out of 5 stars I love those little blue people!, 21 May 2003
The Wee Free Men is the story of a young girl whose brother is stolen by the Queen of Fairies. Tiffany Aching’s adventure begins when she meets two tiny blue men with bright red hair and miniature kilts, who warn her of approaching danger...just before she meets the terrifying Jenny Green-teeth and isn't the least bit scared. All she has to help her are those loyal blue men, a talking toad, a frying pan, and the deceased Granny Aching’s favourite book (Diseases of the Sheep).
The Wee Free Men is based around Tiffany Aching, a brown haired, brown eyed nine year old who is too sensible for her own good; Rob Anybody, No’-as-big-as-Medium-Sized-Jock-but-bigger-than-Wee-Jock-Jock, Hamish and the rest of the blue and red kilted Nac Mac Feegle; Miss Perspicacia Tick, a witch who has learnt that her elbows are generally very reliable; the rather mean Queen of the Fairies (who also starred in ‘Lords and Ladies’, also by Terry Pratchett); and Wentworth, the eternally sticky, sweet-loving toddler who is in agony when he has too many sweets – he can never decide which to eat first.
This book is set in a part of the Discworld previously unknown. It is set partly on the Chalk, low-lying hills that I assume are quite near the Ramtops, but mainly in Fairyland. The atmosphere of the novel is quite mixed; those parts set in Fairyland quite sinister and forbidding (but not really scary) while other parts are rather humorous.
As this is a children’s book, Terry Pratchett does not go into the deeply philosophical theories that he usually explores (and makes fun of). Instead he dips into the idea of stereotypes (particularly that of the witch and shepherd/ess), dreaming, and a little religion (the Nac Mac Feegle, for example, believe that this is the afterlife and when they die now they will return to the World of the Living).
Personally I adore this book. After eagerly waiting for it for many months I was full of high expectations when I finally got my hands on a copy. I was not let down. The Wee Free Men is a light book for an adult or teenager, but would be perfectly suitable for the more thoughtful child. It contains plenty of suspense and drama, brilliant description and typically amusing characters. It is a must for any fan of Terry Pratchett, whatever your age, but you don’t have to have read other stories by him to enjoy it. Over all, I consider it a great read and a good laugh.

Legends: Discworld, Pern, Song of Ice and Fire, Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, Wheel of Time
by Robert Silverberg
Price: 7.19

4.0 out of 5 stars hmm..., 16 April 2003
Well, seeing as so many people have already reviewed this, I just want to write a short note on my feelings as someone who, before this, had read nothing by any of the authors except Terry Pratchett (who I LOVE). I got this out of my school library to read during a free lesson, and enjoyed it thoroughly. There is not a story in there I did not like. The Anne McCaffery and Robert Jordan stories in particular inspired me to read their other works, for I'd noticed Jordan's stuff in a bookshop and was interested in trying some. In fact, this story made me fall in love with it, and I'm now reading Eye of the World (which is not nearly so good as I expected) and I've read the first Chronicle of Pern by Anne McCaffery. I did like the other stories, but they have not inspired me to seek out the author - if I see something of theirs in the library and I've nothing else to read I'd probably get it out, though. The Terry Pratchett story was a BIT dissapointing, but probably only because I prefer the stories with a little more plot, like his other books.

Page: 1 | 2