Profile for N. Eastaugh > Reviews

Content by N. Eastaugh

N. Eastaugh (Ipswich, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Nancy Crow: Transitions
Nancy Crow: Transitions
by Nancy Crow

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful reference source for inspiration, 4 Nov 2014
A really lovely book about the work of quilter and artist Nancy Crow. Her work is modern and inspiring. It's a large hardback book packed with lovely illustrations. As well as the finished pieces, it talks about the inspiration for each project.

Radical Lace and Subversive Knitting
Radical Lace and Subversive Knitting
by David Revere McFadden

4.0 out of 5 stars An ideas sourcebook, 4 Nov 2014
An interesting book detailing the inovative use of knitting and lace by modern textile artists and parctitioners. As I'm studying for a textiles degree, and it was on my reading list, I imagine that it's supposed to give ideas and inspiration. It's OK, but as a knitter and crocheter, I've seen many of the ideas before, and it wasn't as radical as I was (perhaps unfairly) expecting.

Tapestry: A Woven Narrative
Tapestry: A Woven Narrative
by Timothy Wilcox

5.0 out of 5 stars The most beautiful book, 4 Nov 2014
What a beautiful book - it charts the history of tapestry bringing it right up to date with the work of modern practitioners. I'm studying fr a BA in textiles and it is on my reading list. However it would make a lovely coffee table book. It is also cramed with facts and is a great acedemic text.

Arteffects (Practical Art Books)
Arteffects (Practical Art Books)
by Jean Drysdale Green

5.0 out of 5 stars A really useful book, which lots of new ideas in diffferent media, 4 Nov 2014
I really like this book. It covers all common painting media. I particularly like the information for oil pastels and I have been able to create lots of new effects. I am a textile artist doing a textiles degree, and I found this book especially usiful for broadening my mark-making vocabulary. It was on my course reading list.

Turbo Super Stunt Squad (Nintendo Wii)
Turbo Super Stunt Squad (Nintendo Wii)
Offered by FUN-N-MORE

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids, 6 Aug 2014
My son who's aged 8 absolutely loves this game. It's really no more than a racing game but that doesn't seem to put him off.

Stitch Magic: Sculpting Fabric with Stitch
Stitch Magic: Sculpting Fabric with Stitch
by Alison Reid

4.0 out of 5 stars Well explained, a good book, 6 Aug 2014
Quite simple ideas, but none-the-less well put together and clear concise explanations. I am studying a textiles degree and would consider it more of an introductory text to the subject. If you're just interested in making pretty items for the home it would probably be more appealing.

Je Suis le Cahier : The Sketchbooks of Picasso
Je Suis le Cahier : The Sketchbooks of Picasso
by Martin Booth

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, 6 Aug 2014
A great inspirational reference book for anybody studying art and interested in the work of Picasso. A large book, which contains explanational text in addition to the many sketches.

Jamie's 30-Minute Meals: A Revolutionary Approach to Cooking Good Food Fast
Jamie's 30-Minute Meals: A Revolutionary Approach to Cooking Good Food Fast
by Jamie Oliver

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't fault the recipes, 3 Mar 2012
I love the fact that the recipes in this book are complete meals. The salads perfectly complement the mains and the deserts are simple, yet devine. I have to say that I wouldn't attempt the meals in 30 minutes (nor would I say that can be achieved by an average person in such time). I do all the slicing and make the pastes in advance, read up on the main instructions, then it's plain sailing to put it all together. Try the absolutely devine Mussel and monkfish tagine... What makes Jamie stand out amoung cookery authors is that his receipes are made with everday ingredients, they are easy to follow and repeatably turn out fabulously. I make these meals at the weekend rather than in the week, but the balance and combination of flavours are exceptional. I love Jamie..... my food hero :-)

Vintage Knitwear for Modern Knitters
Vintage Knitwear for Modern Knitters
by Lise-Lotte Lystrup

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly suprised!, 26 Sep 2011
I ordered the book because I liked the angora bolero pattern. Usually I don't go for vintage patterns as I don't have the hourglass figure for which they are designed! However, this book is different - all the patterns have been reworked and adapted to suit modern body shapes and to include larger sizes. There are several patterns that I really like and there are helpful yarn recommendations too. A great book.

Rowan Story Book of Little Knits, The: A Charming Story and Collection of 25 Hand Knit Designs for Children Aged 3-10 Years
by Marie Wallin

2.0 out of 5 stars Lovely projects but not so practical/high yarn useage, 3 Aug 2011
I regularly make Rowan knitted garments for myself and I liked the children's patterns in this book. However, many used so many different colours of yarn that it meade knitting the garments prohibitively expensive. Also some garments with kidsilk haze (delicate and expensive kid mohair/silk blend) I felt would not last very long with children being easy to pluck and requiring handwashing. Ok maybe for a wedding garment, but that's all. I doubt that I will be making any of the sweaters for my son, and in hindsight I wish I'd returned the book as unsuitable.

Page: 1 | 2