Profile for Jacqueline Pye > Reviews

Vultures Overhead: Over the Hill in Cuba
Vultures Overhead: Over the Hill in Cuba
Price: 1.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Experience Cuba with Jo Carroll, 21 July 2014
As the previous reviewer mentions, it is not always easy to decide on a star rating for a book. Should we be influenced by how long it is, how much time and work went into it, whether it was well written/enjoyable/informative/absorbing? I try to judge by my feelings and reaction at the end, whether too many things tripped me up (e.g. errors, something unexplained or unfinished), and whether I'd recommend it to others. Because Jo Carroll's Cuban odyssey is shorter than a novel, it needs to pack a punch - and it does. As with her previous work, I felt I was just a step or two behind Jo, experiencing the same surroundings but without any of the risks. She has the gift of writing so as to immerse the reader in her expeditions, and I felt she gave a real flavour of the ups and downs for the Cuban people and for their visitors. She is a real, genuine traveller and I fully recommend Vultures to anyone who has - or might have - an interest in the Cuban way of life, or those who enjoy reading 'travelogues' for their own sake.

The Miniaturist
The Miniaturist
Price: 5.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, involving, a great read, 19 July 2014
This review is from: The Miniaturist (Kindle Edition)
I came completely unbiased to this tour de force of a book, having not read any reviews beforehand. I hugely enjoyed reading it; great sense of place, many interesting facts about Amsterdam at that time, very well written, clearly-painted characters both sympatico and otherwise, and an intriguing plot. Agreed the main character is a young woman with what is perceived as 'nowadays' traits and strengths, but this is fiction and I didn't find it tripping me up at all. Personally I'd have liked the odd loose end tied up fully at the finish, the tragic death avoided at the last minute (some hopes in those days!), and the big family secret not trailed quite so openly so early on. At the same time, this is one of those books I'd love to have been able to write; Jessie Burton is set to flourish as a successful modern author and I trust she is already stuck well into her next book.

Jubilee
Jubilee
Price: 3.86

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, well written and thought-provoking, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Jubilee (Kindle Edition)
Jubilee was a very entertaining read. I didn't check reviews before finishing the book, but I do agree that it could be a little difficult to become emotionally involved with Satish - more like watching with interest from the sidelines. The key issues of the plot were thought-provoking, especially getting to understand better what children like Satish would have had to cope with at that time from all generations of established white families. As the story alternated between 'then and now', occasionally I would begin a chapter and not be sure of the setting for a couple of paragraphs. At the same time it's no mean feat to skilfully dovetail two time frames, and this was really well done. I might have liked to get to know Satish's children a little better, with maybe an occasional illustration of how far our society has come in terms of happy integration, and Satish's reaction to that. So I 'do' care! Anyway, Jubilee is a very good read, and well recommended. I look forward to Shelley's next book, Vigilante, due out next year.

JAMMYLIZARD Gold Crystal capacitive touch screen stylus / Pen for Apple iPad / iPad 2 / iPad 3 / iPad 4 / iPad Mini / iPhone 5 / iPhone 4 / iPhone 4S / Google Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Samsung Galaxy Tab / Galaxy Note / Galaxy S2 SII / S3 SIII / ASUS Transformer / BlackBerry PlayBook / Nokia Lumia 920 / Microsoft Surface (and many more devices)
Offered by Purplemoose007
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful item!, 30 April 2014
Bought 3 of these, pink, gold & purple. So far been using only the gold, but it works very well on iPad, looks great, and is very good value (especially now as on special offer). Highly recommended, lasting much longer than large stationers' 10 versions. Well done, Jammy Lizard.

Bushnell Trophy Cam - 8 Mega Pixel -119435 [Camera]
Bushnell Trophy Cam - 8 Mega Pixel -119435 [Camera]
Offered by CameraKing
Price: 164.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Trouble getting this to work., 26 Feb 2014
Thought I'd worked out all the settings and rigged it up in the garden to record any night-time visitors. It didn't record anything, and even when I danced around in its sight, nothing. Could be my fault - but if so, instructions aren't clear enough. Still unused.

Radio Times Guide to Films 2013
Radio Times Guide to Films 2013
by no name

5.0 out of 5 stars It's all here!, 26 Feb 2014
Everything you need to know, easy to read and very helpful to film fanatics and casual viewers alike. End of!

Cat Mate Pet Fountain
Cat Mate Pet Fountain
Price: 23.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job but needs fairly frequent attention, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: Cat Mate Pet Fountain (Misc.)
We found that our cat only uses this for a short while after we've cleaned it and replaced the water. The charcoal cartridges are quite expensive; the first one worked well but the second continued to release particles which made the fountain unattractive to us and, apparently, to puss. The third was similarly annoying but the fourth not too bad. It seems some work needs doing on the cartridges to ensure they do their job without spitting out bits of charcoal; this would make the fountain more popular all round.

The Chambers Dictionary 12th Edition
The Chambers Dictionary 12th Edition
by Chambers (Ed.)
Price: 35.20

5.0 out of 5 stars A greatly appreciated volume, 26 Feb 2014
Bought this as a present for my husband who is a crossword nut! He loves it, already finding answers that were not listed in his age-old sticky-taped version.

Butlers Gold Christmas Bauble with Honeycomb Crisp Chocolates and Mandarin Truffles 150 g (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum, 26 Feb 2014
Bought these for presents for children. They loved the container (as did I) and couldn't keep their hands off the contents, pronouncing them delicious.

The Solitary House
The Solitary House
by Lynn Shepherd
Price: 9.52

5.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable read, atmospheric and well written., 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Solitary House (Paperback)
I've read other reviews of this book, and clearly it lies in parallel with Dickens's Bleak House which I confess I haven't read, ditto The Woman in White. Therefore I came to The Solitary House, as it were, from scratch. It's a really interesting read, dense with atmosphere and action, which held my attention throughout. The writing is excellent, and although I'm a lazy reader and don't strive to work out what's coming, I was able to keep in mind the initial task set for former detective Charles Maddox to accomplish while other more pressing and dramatic events were unfolding and links were uncovered. Oddly, I didn't have a mental picture of the protagonist's appearance, but I could feel the dread in the grim London streets of Dickens's time very clearly. A very enjoyable read, and I'll go on to seek out more of Lynn Shepherd's work.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3