Profile for SW > Reviews

Are We Nearly There Yet?: A Family's 8000 Mile Car Journey Around Britain
Are We Nearly There Yet?: A Family's 8000 Mile Car Journey Around Britain
by Ben Hatch

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book - couldn't put it down, 22 May 2012
Once I started reading this book, I couldn't put it down. A wonderful account of Ben & his wife driving over 8,000 miles with their two small children visiting a variety of tourist attractions in order to write a guidebook. It is honest, moving and extremely funny. Anyone who has children and grandchildren will identify with many of the situations Ben and Dinah find themselves in especially the bargaining and bribery we all resort to at times! I laughed out loud so often while reading this book. My favourite parts were the car that "stinks to high heaven", the bats and the puff adder. The story of the family's travels is interspersed with Ben's reminiscences about his childhood and relationship with his father who is now seriously ill. The description of his father's last few days moved me to tears. I have recommended this book to all my family and friends. As the story progresses we know Ben, Dinah, Phoebe and Charlie so well that they feel like our friends and make it one of those books that you don't want to end. I really hope there will be more stories about Ben and his lovely family.

Hippo Has A Hat
Hippo Has A Hat
by Julia Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars Another favourite, 1 Oct 2011
This review is from: Hippo Has A Hat (Board book)
I love all Julia Donaldson books and this is a big hit with my grand-daughter. Lovely pictures and rhymes and very funny. Excellent.

Orchard Toys Dolls House
Orchard Toys Dolls House

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely puzzle, 1 Oct 2011
This review is from: Orchard Toys Dolls House (Toy)
I was very pleased with this puzzle and its a favourite with my 2 1/2 year old grand-daughter. The pieces are large and easy for little fingers to pick up and all different shapes. Its colourful and there is so much detail in each individual room of the dolls house, which can lead to questions like "how many clocks are there in the house" or "which animal is lying on the bed". So it is excellent from an educational point of view encouraging observation, counting, colours etc. My only criticism is that it is not quite as durable as I would like, some of the paper is beginning to come away from the cardboard backing. However, this may be because it gets a lot of use.

Dinosaurs Galore!
Dinosaurs Galore!
by Giles Andreae

4.0 out of 5 stars Rhyming dinosaurs, 1 Oct 2011
This review is from: Dinosaurs Galore! (Paperback)
Bought this for my 2 1/2 year old grand-daughter who had become interested in dinosaurs. She loves this colourful book. The pictures are good and she particularly likes the rhymes. I like the way the names of the dinosaurs are also spelled phonetically, so that I know how to pronounce them and she also learns their correct names.

Klipsch iGroove SXT WWI iPod Speaker System Charges all new iPods/iPhones
Klipsch iGroove SXT WWI iPod Speaker System Charges all new iPods/iPhones

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, 25 Jun 2011
Very pleased with the Klipsch iGroove SXT WWI. Firstly the black and silver design is neat and compact and looks stylish. Very simple to set up and use. The sound is great and very clear, excellent stereo. At last I can listen to my ipod classic anywhere in the house.

Galt Sorting Wheel
Galt Sorting Wheel

4.0 out of 5 stars Great toy on many levels, 3 May 2010
This review is from: Galt Sorting Wheel (Toy)
Excellent, durable toy. Great to roll along the floor when baby starts crawling. Shapes interesting to handle. Bright primary colours. Then fascinating to watch a child gradually learning which shape goes in which hole.

Snuggle Up, Sleepy Ones
Snuggle Up, Sleepy Ones
by Claire Freedman

5.0 out of 5 stars Bedtime book, 3 May 2010
Lovely book to read during that quiet time just before a little one goes to bed. Gorgeous pictures. Another favourite book.

Noisy Jungle (Usborne Busy Sounds)
Noisy Jungle (Usborne Busy Sounds)
by Sam Taplin

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite book, 3 May 2010
Purchased this for my granddaughter when she was about 6 months old. She's now 15 months and its still a favourite book. Realistic animal noises and lovely pictures, which contain other small creatures that you can talk about as you read the book.

Tomy Aquadoodle Classic Drawing Toy
Tomy Aquadoodle Classic Drawing Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Grandma's house, 3 May 2010
Purchased this for a weekend visit from my 15 month old granddaughter. She loved it! She enjoyed drawing over the 'hidden' images to see what was underneath and making her own drawings. The fact that it uses only water is an added bonus as she couldn't get messy or damage anything. She loved it so much that it's gone home with her!

Spot's Big Nursery Song Book (Spot Sound Books)
Spot's Big Nursery Song Book (Spot Sound Books)
by Eric Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite book, 12 Feb 2010
My granddaughter loved this book from the age of 6 months. It has large colourful pictures illustrating all the favourite nursery rhymes. As they get older the children can press the buttons to play the music themselves. Definitely a nursery favourite.

Page: 1 | 2