Profile for JL McKinnon-Johnson > Reviews

Content by JL McKinnon-Jo...

JL McKinnon-Johnson "Janey" (Iberia)

Page: 1 | 2
Mrs Jenson Button Formula 1 T-shirt (LADIES),XXL
Mrs Jenson Button Formula 1 T-shirt (LADIES),XXL
Offered by Nappy Head
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, 17 April 2012
Lovely t-shirt, good sizing, great quality & rather scarily worn when I met the wonderful JB himself earlier this year ;) It raises a smile!

The Lost Prince [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
The Lost Prince [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Miranda Richardson
Price: 6.43

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Story, 17 April 2012
This was an impulse buy, and very interesting to watch. A sad little story of a sad little misunderstood boy.
certainly worth watching for the historical importance, but I can't help feeling it could have been more of a visual delight. But perhaps this would have detracted from the story? I also thought in some places it dragged a little but maybe I just wasn't quite in the mood. Certainly worth a look on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Closure
Closure
Price: 12.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Most excellent tuneage!, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Closure (Audio CD)
How wonderful to play a brand new, never heard before CD & find the sounds that emanate from the speakers are pure delight, an aural pleasure!

I'm looking forward to hearing this music as I linger over a cocktail, slightly shaded by the sun - it's that kind of laid-back, relaxed feel that I love to relax to... and maybe wiggle my toes ;)

It's certainly reminiscent of The Storys (not surprising as they all pop up in one way, shape or form) but it's also very individual, just like the lovely Mr Collins.

It's worth a tenner of anyone's cash; I bought 2! Sit back, chill, enjoy.

A Place of Execution
A Place of Execution
by Val McDermid

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent page turner, 24 April 2007
This review is from: A Place of Execution (Paperback)
I loved this book - of particular note were the various nods towards the characters' smoking (every minute of every day, so it seemed!) and the way the police had almost nothing to go on regarding forensic evidence.

The characters were well formed; you find their lives encroach on your own. The writing is encapsulating - the day I finished the book I turned the bedside lamp out at 6am!

A marvellous read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2011 10:50 PM BST

Backpack
Backpack
by Emily Barr
Price: 8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting!, 26 Oct 2006
This review is from: Backpack (Paperback)
I began this book disliking the main character somewhat and almost dismissed this as just another chick-lit, even though I had previously read and enjoyed 'Baggage' by the same author.

However I am certainly pleased I stuck with it and saw the book through to it's conclusion. There were some obvious turns and maybe this is why I changed my initial 4 stars to 3, but it is definitely worth a read, especially if one is considering backpacking.

Loved the Tibet scenes and am struck with a certain hankering for the place!!

The King's Touch
The King's Touch
by Jude Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars The Restoration for dummies, 17 Jun 2006
This review is from: The King's Touch (Paperback)
.. Ok, well, not quite for dummies, as Jude once again displays his overwhelming penmanship in a story that you could almost believe was fiction, but nevertheless is fact.

His portrayal of the time of Charles II is vivid and encapsulating. His illegitimate son, Jemmy, (whom history appears to despise) is given a sympathetic airing, and one can't help but wonder exactly what is the true story.

I adored the book, set in a period I knew nothing about (Jude keeps exposing huge gaps in my knowledge!) and am anxiously awaiting my husband reading it so I can discuss fully!

Jude Morgan brings history to life - he is a marvel.

Pig Island
Pig Island
by Mo Hayder
Price: 11.03

3.0 out of 5 stars Ripping yarn, 8 Jun 2006
This review is from: Pig Island (Hardcover)
We can all compare, until we're blue in the face, Pig Island to Mo's previous masterpieces, and to be quite frank, it won't hold a candle.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy the book immensely, but maybe Mo has covered every horror there is, and there's nothing left? (Ok, that's just in case she reads this hehe)

I found the book a solid page-turner - an enjoyable yarn written in Mo's wonderfully flowing style. It wasn't however a 'terrifying' read and maybe that's what lets it down somewhat. But for a decent holiday book (I read mine on the beach in Marbella!) you can't go far wrong.

I did spot an error in the text as well - which doesn't help in the 'twist'. Nevertheless, enjoyable and worth a read in paperback.

Million Dollar Baby [DVD] [2005]
Million Dollar Baby [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Hilary Swank
Offered by TwoRedSevens
Price: 3.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd seen it sooner!, 5 Mar 2006
I just watched this film - excuse the pun, but I am knocked out!
No-one said it wasn't just another boxing movie...
I found the interaction between Freeman and Eastood, and Swank and Eastwood irresistible, amusing, touching and bittersweet. I was surprised how deeply I felt about these characters... it was obvious though when I openly sobbed just towards the end!
Amazing film; highly recommended.

Salem Falls
Salem Falls
by Jodi Picoult

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 12 Jan 2006
This review is from: Salem Falls (Paperback)
Another great Jodi Picoult - not the best, but for me nothing can surpass The Pact. Jodi's flair is in reeling you in to the main protaganists lives, and then jumping up with those little surprises and shocks. A good read for a winter's afternoon in front of the fire.

Haunted
Haunted
by Chuck Palahniuk

4.0 out of 5 stars Horrible laughs, 12 Jan 2006
This review is from: Haunted (Hardcover)
'guaranteed to chill you on the hottest summer day’ said The Express. Not entirely accurate I would say. This is more 'schlock-horror' - not something that would particularly scare me, anyway (Mo Hayder does that, well enough!). However, what a great page-turner. The man's ideas are crazy, and one wonders what he dreams at night....! Certainly a recommended book - but possibly only to those with a stronger stomach!

Page: 1 | 2