Profile for Charles Bruin > Reviews

Content by Charles Bruin

Charles Bruin (Harrogate)

Dropouts
Dropouts

5.0 out of 5 stars Dramatic, well-written and page-turningly intriguing, 7 Feb 2012
This review is from: Dropouts (Kindle Edition)
I have just discovered Alice Haro and what a great read! I downloaded the kindle version and have just finished what is a thrilling book. With twists and turns and constant intrigue the main characters are all interesting, with their own nicely rounded plot lines within. Can't wait for Alice's next literary foray - I think I'm hooked! Enjoy.

Lion Man: The Autobiography
Lion Man: The Autobiography
by Ian McGeechan

3.0 out of 5 stars Mr McGeechan., 14 July 2010
...is how we used to address our teacher back in the 80s. As a young lad with undiluted passion for the beautiful game I was intrigued to hear what 'Mr McGeechan' would have to say about his time both teaching at a middle school in Leeds and playing for his country at the same time (no mean feat).

Yes it's not as fluid as more accomplished authors and yes some of the factual elements are a little wide of the mark but my small part in the history of Mr McGeechan was enlightening and us 'donkeys' and 'fairies' (forwards and backs) were never fully aware of the time and commitment he gave to making our start in the game of rugby the most enjoyable and educational it could be.

His memories of Firtree Middle School were a revelation and it's not every day that a sports personality will hold this time in their lives in such high esteem. To this extent I am aware that he still meets with his old teaching chums from then too.

Thanks Mr McGeechan! You infused me with a passion that holds true today and forever more and for that I am truly grateful.

Not a bad read either Sir.

Yours, Nick Brown aged 38 and a half. Firtree Primary School, Leeds 1981-85.

PS. I'll be reading this next with added conviction.Ripley's World: The Rugby Icon's Ultimate Victory Over Cancer

Sennheiser PMX 80 Eco Rugged Stereo Neckband Headphones for Sports
Sennheiser PMX 80 Eco Rugged Stereo Neckband Headphones for Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars At last..., 22 Feb 2010
Echo all of the previous comments... and more. Finally, I have a pair of running headphones that don't move around, fall out or present even the slightest discomfort when I wear them. Brilliant, brilliant brilliant! Thank you Sennheiser.

Breath
Breath
by Tim Winton

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and signed!, 20 Jan 2009
This review is from: Breath (Hardcover)
Just finished reading this book and it's brilliant.

Not just for the mastery in which Winton describes, without going into minute detail, the sheer rawness of sensation whilst learning to and mastering the art of surfing, but his in-built sentence integrity, use of character depth and pure emotional strength of the leading character. Yes, the end comes with a trip to a psychiatric unit but so what. Our character has lived, he's been there, done it and felt the burn. I actually found myself feeling the discomfort of heat and sun and salt all rubbed into wounds from battering the body against the surf.

I wasn't sure whether it would be my cup of wax, but you can't escape but be dragged into this one, hook, line and surfboard.

Thanks Tim, what a ripper!

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
by Haruki Murakami

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly Disappointing..., 12 Nov 2008
I have to say that I whole-heartedly agree with the few dissenters amongst the reviewers of this book. It was a complete let-down. Indulgent, poorly translated and factually weak, it missed the point completely. As a seasoned runner of twenty years experience I can, to some degree empathise with the author's feelings towards his need to run and the daily grind this inherently brings. However, any book worth it's salt needs to be engaging, entertaining and enlightening. This book was none of these.

The author failed to mention the obsessive-compulsive aspect of running training, the heart-ache, the time away from family and loved-ones not to mention the great highs the sport can also bestow.

After the first 50 pages I was left feeling cheated and a little concerned that an author of such undoubted talents (given his previous work), could submit such an 'unfinished and uninspiring' piece to market.

So, to conclude, if you're considering purchasing this book or browsing in your local shop and contemplating spending your hard-earned... run, run away, as fast as you can.