Profile for Alan D. Carpenter > Reviews

Content by Alan D. Carpenter

Alan D. Carpenter "AlanC" (England)

My Bonnie: How dementia stole the love of my life
My Bonnie: How dementia stole the love of my life
by John Suchet

5.0 out of 5 stars Most amazing book I have ever read., 2 July 2012
I bought this book for my wife about a year ago as she works in a carers centre. But she works full time and I am retired so she never got round to reading it.

Then a week or so back I picked it up and started reading it, and found myself hooked.

While people may think it is mainly a book about dementia, I think it is mainly a LOVE story. Yes dementia plays a big part, but it is really the story of how two people find each other, go through trials and tribulations to be together, have 20 or so happy years of marriage, before Bonnie's problems begin to put a huge strain on their relationhip.

One reviewer said John Suchet did not come across well in the book, he came across as arrogant and pompous. I dont think John ever pretended he was perfect, or that he was a good carer when Bonnie's problems got worse and worse.

I think he was just an "ordinairy" guy who went from having a great marriage to beautilful wife, with what sounds like a healthy sexual relationship (not that he gives graphic details but the does "hint"), to being a person who was scared to even cuddle his wife in the morning for fear of her waking up and another day of problems would start.

I am a pretty "strong" person but found my eyes welling up with tears a few times, and the ending left me shattered, I really felt I had been through all his problems with him.

But don't think this is a sad, depressing book. In many places it is a funny, uplifting, moving and emotional book.

But as you read it just hope that your partner (or mother, father or other relative) dont get this illness, particularly at such a young age (not that it is fine to get it when you are older either).

Please try to read this book, it may well change your life.

London's Hidden Walks: Volume 1 (Explore London)
London's Hidden Walks: Volume 1 (Explore London)
by Stephen Millar

5.0 out of 5 stars Itching to do some of these walks, 18 Jan 2012
I should first say I already know London fairly well, having lived and worked there for the first 30 years of my life, before moving elsewhere (and I do love walking round London).

Note also I have no other London walks books to compare this book with, so I am just reviewing it in isolation.

I must also admit that while I have read through the book from the comfort of my home, I have yet to do any of the walks.

However just reading through the book, reading the various anecdotes about the different buildings and areas and people, and looking at the small pictures, has made me very keen to do all these walks.

My only problem is which one to do first, as they all look so interesting.

I must admit when the book first arrived I was a little disappointed at how small it was, probably smaller than the average postard, though it is quite thick.

But as soon as I started to read the book I was hooked and knew I would be doing a number of these walks as soon as I could.

So I can highly recommend it.

Only two very minor criticisms:

1) At the begining of each walk it would be useful to have a short overview of the area in which you are walking. Not everyone knows the different areas of London and a short overview of the type of area, and a brief history, would be useful (though it does often unfold during the walk).

2) As the book is small the writing is quite small and at my age (60+) reading the book can be a little hard work (though I do admit I need new glasses).

However don't let these small criticisms put you off buying the book as I can highly recommend it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2012 3:04 PM GMT

Philips MCB146/05 Micro HiFi system with DAB -Black
Philips MCB146/05 Micro HiFi system with DAB -Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing sound, 24 Feb 2011
I bought this for my wife on Valentiens day, along with a load of Motown albums, as she was keen to listen to some old Motown tracks in the kitchen while cooking.

I bought this without listening to it or seeing it beforehand.

I must say I am VERY disappointed in the sound.

It is flat, tinny, lacks bass, and is overall a poor muffled sound. Motown tracks sound awful on it.

Overall the product works fine, and the remote control is useful, although the whole item it is rather cheap and plasticy.

Overall I regret buying it and wished I had bought some other product.

Toshiba 22AV615DB 22-inch Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV with Freeview - Black
Toshiba 22AV615DB 22-inch Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV with Freeview - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars TV fine - but no analogue, 7 Jan 2010
I bought this for my daughter for Christmas 2009.

TV is fine, but it does NOT have an Analogue tuner in it, only Digital.

If you live in an area which does not get a good Freeview/Digital signal then this TV may not be for you.

We get a good Freeview signal so it was not a problem for us.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2010 1:20 PM GMT

Entirely Up to You, Darling
Entirely Up to You, Darling
by Richard Attenborough

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting - but flawed, 22 Nov 2008
This is a very interesting book, but rather flawed.

From the book front cover you may believe it is Richard Attenborough's life story, but look closely at the bottom of the front cover, and in small writing it says "and Diana Hawkins"

From that I assumed she had ghost written the book, as often happens with these life stories of the famous. But in fact it is both their life stories running side by side.

Diana Hawkins worked with Richard as publicity manager on many of his films such as Ghandi, Chorus Line and so on, so they shared many areas of their life.

I believe the book is flawed for two reasons:

Firstly, the text alternates between Richard and Diana. Text for Richard begins "RA" and he writes for a page or two, then we get "DH" and Diana writes for a page or two.

This itself is a bit disconcerting, just as you are getting used to what Richard is saying we switch to Diana, then back again.

This is not too bad when they are discussing the same topic, such as the making of Ghandi, or the publicity tour for Chorus Line, but can become annoying when they are discussing different phases of their lives.

The second "flaw" is that the book follow no logical sequence.

It starts with a detailed look at how Ghandi was made, but then Richard starts talking about his early life, and Diana starts talking about her early life (at which point one asks "do I care").

We then go back to Ghandi, then we get Richard talking about his life in the war and his early career, and Diana talking about her marital problems, then we go on to Chorus line, and so it goes on.

So it is bad enough we are jumping back and forth between Richard talking, then Diana talking, but we are also jumping back and forth between the background to making a particular film, and then some aspect of their personal lives.

At times I almost feel as though Richard wrote his sections in two page chunks, and Diana wrote her sections in two page chunks, then they threw all the pages up in the air and put them together in random order.

There is a good book in here waiting to get out (maybe two), and the behind the scenes stories about the making of his most famous films is fascinating, but I am afraid trying to tell two life stories side by side in same book just does not work for me.

A book by Richard and Diana JUST about making the films would have been good, or a book JUST about Richard's life would have been good, but a book combining everything is too much.

Having said all that, Richard comes across as an wonderful person (as do his parents and family) and it certainly made me feel very guilty when I saw how much work Richard and his family have done to ease the suffering in the world.

Sum up: Amazing man, flawed book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2009 9:00 AM BST