Profile for Mr. M. Pugh > Reviews

Eleven Eleven
Eleven Eleven
Offered by thebookcommunity

5.0 out of 5 stars Criminally unknown!, 9 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Eleven Eleven (Audio CD)
One of my favourite albums. I've listened to this album for fifteen years and every time I think that it should have been enjoyed by many more people when it was released.

The whole feeling of these songs is of knotting together and falling apart over and over again. I especially like "Power Failure" and "Bell" - real slow burners. The first sounds positively catastrophic in its rising and falling final minutes. "Bell" is deceptively simple, but I love the way this song crashes along, breaking into more reflective parts before juddering to a halt.

The rhythm section of Come has been sometimes criticised for being lumpy and lacking sensitivity - I totally disagree. In my opinion it's some of the best stuff rock has ever produced: powerful, accurate and intense. "William" twists from 4/4 to waltz without losing any impetus, and when Zadek's howling is added over the top the whole thing takes off. Then there's the weird blues of "Brand New Vein", which has a drawn out section from four minutes in that builds and builds before a feedback squeel slides in - it's just fantastic. I haven't even mentioned "Off to One Side" or "Fast Piss Blues", perhaps the best songs of a criminally unknown album.