Profile for Tom Palmer > Reviews

The Football Factory
The Football Factory
by John King

5.0 out of 5 stars Good football fiction for adults, 15 Aug. 2010
This review is from: The Football Factory (Paperback)
Most football fiction for adults is rubbish. This is great. I read it the week it came out when I was a bookseller and no book has ever surpassed it.

Borderlands (Inspector Devlin Mystery 1)
Borderlands (Inspector Devlin Mystery 1)
by Brian McGilloway

4.0 out of 5 stars Good crime story with interesting 'hero', 15 Aug. 2010
I enjoyed this. It was a compelling crime story set on the Northern Ireland/Eire border.

The best thing about it is that it doesn't fall into some of the cliches of crime fiction. The 'hero' is flawed, but doesn't, for instance, miss his daughter's nativity play, when it looked like he could. Admittedly he kisses a woman he shouldn't later that night, so he does have some issues.

Going Solo
Going Solo
by Roald Dahl

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd read this when I was 10, 5 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Going Solo (Paperback)
When I was 10 I didn't read. But if I'd been given Going Solo I might have started sooner. It is wonderful. The material about his being in the RAF is breathtaking. It made me want to read more. It led me to his adult stories, some of which are about airmen.

I work in schools and often use it to encourage children to read more than just fiction.

DropZone
DropZone
by Andy McNab

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story great content, 4 Aug. 2010
This review is from: DropZone (Paperback)
I am a massive fan of Andy McNab's Boy Soldier series and (unusually for me) bought them all in hardback. I noticed this book was not co-written with Robert Rigby, who was involved in Boy Soldier, so I waited for the paperback.

I needn't have been worried. This is a very good book.

Strengths: characterisation (esp. the hero), relationships between characters, the hero's dad, believable context (no surprise there).

Weaknesses: not a lot. It took a long time for the characters to get stuck into their first mission, but the way they all get to know each other at the dropzone was conflict enough.

The book was also funny. One of the characters cracks a lot of good one liners.

I'll get the next one in hardback.

War
War
by Sebastian Junger

5.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward, 4 Aug. 2010
This review is from: War (Hardcover)
I have read a lot of newspaper articles about the war. And seen a lot of TV footage. But this took me closest to what I believe is really going on.

A few months ago, I met a young lad who was returning from Afghanistan on a London to Leeds train. He was heading home. He was in a bit of a state, half cut. He had some pretty odd ideas about what his girlfriend had been up to while he was away.

He told me about the fighting he'd been involved with and showed me a wound from a bullet that had hit his chest plate. A wide silvery scar. He was constantly fiddling with a tool that he said was used to break down and rebuild guns. He gave me it when we got to Leeds. I showed it to my daughter and tried to explain what it was for and why.

This book reminded me of that conversation. It is a magnificent piece of work.

The Unforgiven: The Story of Don Revie's Leeds United
The Unforgiven: The Story of Don Revie's Leeds United
by Rob Bagchi

5.0 out of 5 stars Things I didn't know about Leeds, 4 Aug. 2010
I started at Leeds in 1979, so I missed all this.

In addition, I have had an aversion to certain players of the Revie era, to be honest. All I ever heard was them criticising the Leeds teams I watched on Radio Leeds. Fair enough, the teams I watched (containing my favourites, including Ian Baird and Kevin Hird) weren't a patch on the Revie era, but all the same...

So my knowledge of this era has been from scraps of conversations in pubs like The Precinct and The White Swan (Leeds 1980s).

Anyway, this book filled me in. It is a great read. I found out a lot.

Glasvegas
Glasvegas

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 4 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Glasvegas (Audio CD)
I heard Daddy's Gone on a compilation and it really cut me up. It reminded me of things from when I was young. The song hit me straight away. I borrowed the CD from the library, listened to it once and bought the CD on Amazon. Definitely the best CD I've bought since Sam's Town.

Girls FC 1: Do Goalkeepers Wear Tiaras?
Girls FC 1: Do Goalkeepers Wear Tiaras?
by Helena Pielichaty

5.0 out of 5 stars Book one of an engaging series, 4 Aug. 2010
The Girls FC books are great. Each book is about a different girl in an under-elevens team. And each has a strong message, but not so heavy that it gets in the way of each being a good story.

The author (who is a friend of mine, I should declare) knows a lot about football. Her daughter plays for West Brom. She regularly watches Huddersfield Town in league one.

Strong stories about several different types of girl who love sport.

Keeper
Keeper
by Mal Peet

5.0 out of 5 stars Football fiction at its best, 4 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Keeper (Paperback)
There are a lot of football stories about now. This book is, in my opinion, the best.

It has football, suspense, action and a fascinating insight into de-forestation in South America.

I have met hundreds of children in schools who love this book. And dozens of adults.