Profile for K. Myers > Reviews

Content by K. Myers

K. Myers "Joutja"

The Tropic of Serpents: A Memoir by Lady Trent (Memoirs of Lady Trent Book 2)
The Tropic of Serpents: A Memoir by Lady Trent (Memoirs of Lady Trent Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic journey which one does not want to see end., 10 Feb. 2016
This is the second book in the series and it manages to maintain its pace through its witty and descriptive narrative. The world in which the story is set is explored in greater detail, both geographically and politically, creating an intriguing backdrop for the dragons and Mrs Trent. The pencil drawing sketches are very apt for the style in which this book was written as they supplement the descriptions in the text. It is obvious that the author has done their homework regarding the different cultures represented in the book to form a fluid and believable society.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and I will eagerly delve into the next in the series.

A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent (Memoirs of Lady Trent Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting read with great characters and fascinating dragons!, 21 Jan. 2016
This was a very enjoyable book which I could not put down until I had read it from start to finish. It follows the early year exploits of Lady Trent as she enters the world of studying the natural history of Dragons (later books will follow on, I think). The language was very refreshing and drew you into the story. Written both as a normal first person narrative with sections where the narrator (Lady Trent) speaks to the reader. The book also explores applying scientific logic to the anatomy of Dragons and how they could behave.

I would definitely recommend.

Kubik Evo 8GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - Black
Kubik Evo 8GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - Black
Offered by ARC UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 17 Sept. 2014
This MP3 player is exactly what it says on the tin. Plenty of space to save your songs with the option for extra space in the form of an SD card slot. The colour is attractive, the band of orange is enough to make it more cheerful without being too glaring. The menu's within the player are confusing at first and the instruction manual isn't the clearest at explaining all the features. Some of those you have to find out for yourself. Downloading songs onto the player is easy, click and drop, or if you prefer to use media player the sync feature works just as well. Just remember to click "update library" within the menu of the player otherwise you may still be looking at the sample music and getting errors.

One thing that I am a little dissatisfied with is the lack of playlist functionality. Any playlist that I want to pull over from my computer will just cause it to download the songs associated without keeping them linked together. This is a bit annoying as a lot of my music is groups together like this. There does seem to be a "favourites" function but this only really works as a single playlist and you have to add the music on the player itself.The UI could be a little cleaner as well. The design isn't very attractive with the mouldy grey colour. However, it definitely gets the job done and I'm surprised at the amount of information they have manage to cram on such a small screen.

I've not tried the radio yet but I may at some point in the future.

Pros:
- Value for money. It's fairly cheap and you get plenty for it.
- Nice case design
- Easy to load with music. Takes a couple of minutes and then you're ready to go.
- The earphones you get are decent. Normally with these the earphones are the big let down but the kubik ones are actually not bad.
- Long battery. I've had this a few weeks now and the battery icon shows 2 out of 3 bars still. The last charge was the one when I got it and I use it most days at work. Usually on at least 3 or 4 hours per time. Had it on a whole day last week.

Cons;
- Clunky menu with poor aesthetic design
- No playlist function.

Edimax EW-7811Un N150 Wireless USB Adapter Nano
Edimax EW-7811Un N150 Wireless USB Adapter Nano

2.0 out of 5 stars Stylish but not very good, 30 May 2014
I ordered this for my new desktop computer which didn't arrive with a built in wi-fi adapter. This was advertised on Amazon with a really good score of over 4 stars from over 1000 people. It was also labelled as number 1 in wireless internet adapters so it seemed like a good buy, especially for the price. It arrived promptly and I also like the small size of the adapter as it is barely seen on the computer as opposed to some bulky ugly antennae. However, that is where the good points end.

My new computer is placed at my desk no further away from my wireless router than where my laptop frequently was and yet it rarely gets any decent connectivity. Even though the signal strength is usually either 4 or 5 bars it seems to have problems actually connecting to the internet and takes a long time to load up webpages. My laptop never has this problem and always have full bars with really fast connectivity, no problems at all. Just today it took multiple attempts at reconnecting just to get the thing to work and give me internet access. Often, even when it does connect to the router, it seems to be unable to connect to the internet. I tested it with my laptop in the same position and there is not fault there, nor is there a fault with the router as every other device in the house has no problems connecting. This leaves me at the conclusion that the adapter is the item at fault.

Even when I finally connect to the internet often the downloads are slow and while I can see that it's only an adapter and wouldn't be as fast as my laptop might have been I can't see how it would be so bad that it takes a good while just to load up the google homepage.

Pros;
- Good design, not very visible

Cons;
- Poor connectivity,
- Can be a pain to remove from the usb port due to its size.
- Really slow at loading webpages despite the description saying that web browsing is perfect for it.

I would not buy this product again.

Braun Series 3 340s-4 Wet & Dry Electric Shaver
Braun Series 3 340s-4 Wet & Dry Electric Shaver
Offered by RIGHT BARGAINS (U CAN SEND ITEMS AS GIFTS, NO PRICE ON INVOICE)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 5 Sept. 2013
I bought this shaver with the price in mind, being a student I can't afford all these fancy razors and I'm incredibly uncomfortable with regular razors. I've found that this razor gives me a very close shave, a very smooth finish.

I don't know what other people who have also reviewed this product are talking about. My previous razor was also a Braun and this razor far exceeds its abilities at getting a close shave. The style is very good with cool colours. A good razor and a good buy if you're on a budget but still want something decent.

The Planet Construction Kit
The Planet Construction Kit
by Mark Rosenfelder

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 3 Jun. 2013
I looked on Mark's website for some help in finding out some of the finer points of world-building for my book and I noticed he had a book about this. I decided that it was pretty cheap so I bought it. I'm glad I did.

It's a very good book that provides a good number of pointers and aspects of a world that you need to keep in mind when world-building that I had not thought about. For example, I have been building my world for the best part of 4 years and not once thought about marriage customs or clothing styles. I had just written them in with little thought to what cultural styles and how things would develop.

This book is very good for those wishing to create a world based on either a fantasy or a sci-fi theme but if you're doing one or the other, you have to sometimes miss out certain bits which refer to the other genre such as planet generation en mass.

What this book covers are methods to develop an entire planet, complete with realistic year lengths and distances from the sun, plate tectonic's etc. There's also chapters on developing Culture, clothing styles, War and the use of various weapons, law and how to develop a logical set, Religious orders, Economy (which I think is very important but often glanced over) and how to develop an ordered history of the world.

There's little more that I can say that would put this book any higher on the must read list for conworlder's. It's a valuable tool that you can go through, almost list like, and make sure you've got at least something for the each point. The difficulty when you have this book, however, is that you'll realise that you are spending far too much time working on the world and not writing the story that you made the world for!

Only problems I've got with this book is that in at least one place it actually looks like a page is missing and there are a few typo's and spelling mistakes.

Borderlands: Game of the Year - Classics (Xbox 360)
Borderlands: Game of the Year - Classics (Xbox 360)
Offered by Ace Goods Co. Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Open Shooter, 4 Dec. 2012
The experience provided by this game can be expressed in a couple of words, incredibly fun.

This game is almost an open world game with the player being able to go wherever they wished so long as they unlocked the relevant area first. There are a multitude of guns almost randomly generated to the point of that you will rarely see the same gun twice. If you do, they are likely going to be very low level stuff which don't have much more than damage, rate of fire and ammo count taken into the equation. The enemies are varied and very fun to fight against.

Without going into too much detail about the plot of the game, I have to say first that the plot is fairly weak. Gameplay is focused on the player doing missions from bounty boards which can range from collecting audio recordings of the mad doc Patricia Tanner to hunting down boss creatures and wiping out camps of bandits. Thankfully, the story mission aren't played out by accepting them on bounty boards but you are get some seemingly random missions (main missions too) that give big payouts for meeting a person etc. There's not enough done to make the story stand out from the rest of the plod and shoot missions that the game provides on the side.

However, the plot is the only weak thing in the game that I can identify. The rest of the game is incredibly cheesy and very funny at most times when you're blowing apart Badass Skags or watching the psycho midgets get up a rage. With all the guns every playthrough can be fairly varied.

The DLC that come with this Game of the Year edition are great too. The only one I'm not fussed on is Mad Moxxi's arena and while I adore Mad Moxxi, the DLC is geared for almost exclusive multiplayer. It's very hard on your own. But the Robolution and Dr Ned's Zombie Island more than makes up for the (only in my case, who knows, you might have friends with this game and xbox live. ;) ) redundancy of moxxi's arena for me.

I have heard this being said that Borderlands is just a beta testing of the gun system for Borderlands 2 to make better of but I think that its worth a play just for the laughs and if you have friends it can be very fun indeed.

Bladestorm: The Hundred Years War (Xbox 360)
Bladestorm: The Hundred Years War (Xbox 360)

4.0 out of 5 stars damn good game, 25 Aug. 2012
I got this game a while back but ended up trading it in after I finished it, probably because it didn't hold my attention for long after since I had many other games to play. However, I have missed playing this for a long time so I decided to buy it again.

It's a really good game, the massive armies marching around the French countryside is great. The Graphics are basic but that comes with it being a fairly oldish game but they don't take from the content at all. The badly done accents of both the French and the English soldiers are hilarious too.

The only thing I find a bit annoying about the game is that there are so many different types of unit from all kinds of cultures and time period crammed into one big war. Being a student of history this is a little peeve to me despite that it gives the game a good variety of troops to play with since I know full well African warriors took no part in the war.

Each of the units playable needs to unlock a book which allows you to use them and this book also allows you to spend exp on the units to upgrade the abilities. This is a great feature and it really allows you to play about with specialising with the units.

However cheesy the game it, it's very fun to play and if you don't mind the bad graphics then it's a great game to just sit down and have a laugh.

Avatar: A Confidential Report on the Biological and Social History of Pandora (Film Tie in)
by Maria Wilhelm

5.0 out of 5 stars Avatar Field guide, 5 Feb. 2010
This field guide is everything that the Avatar fan needs on their shelf to add more knowledge and background to the wonderful world of Pandora. It gives detailed information about the geology of the moon, why the unobtanium is so wanted, the formation of the Hallelujah Mountains, the life of the native Na'vi, the many plants and animals that inhabit the moon as well as some detailed information on the RDA. All in all, the wealth of knowledge that is contained in this book about Pandora makes is valuable to the Avatar fan. At the back of the book there is also a Na'vi to English dictionary but, unfortunately, there are no guidelines on how to speak the language and if your looking for a particular word from English to Na'vi, then you have to look through the whole dictionary, which is the only time it good that its small. Excellent book and I rarely go anywhere without it.

Halo 3: ODST (Xbox 360)
Halo 3: ODST (Xbox 360)
Offered by bid2win-ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Halo 3: ODST, 14 Oct. 2009
This is a good game. When you first play it you think, "This is quite similar to Halo 3." Well, your right. The controls aren't that much different and the graphics are practically the same, just toned up a little to suit the night aspect of the game. But they manage to pull it off rather well. Although you may be diving for cover every two seconds on the higher difficulties, the health system really makes it seem like you CAN die and the interactions with the squad make you attached to them and that your more in the game than you were with Master Chief. The weapons are the same, although the loss of dual wielding is slightly depressing but the new SMG and pistol make things better. They work well and will almost always be the weapon of choice. The missions walking around the city as rookie are OK but only really get interesting once you start finding the audio logs and weapon caches, they really help in the fights on legendary, which, I have to say, is easier than the origional halo. To sum up, this game is just another view on the war with the covenant with the same sort of gameplay as halo 3 but the campaign missions and the firefight mode make the game definately worth the price. :-D