Profile for J. Osborne > Reviews

Content by J. Osborne

J. Osborne "osbornej76" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Thermos Thermocafe 0.45 Litre Desktop Mug, Blue
Thermos Thermocafe 0.45 Litre Desktop Mug, Blue

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, leaks when in closed position, 28 Jan 2014
It's a thermal desk mug. I get it. It's not designed to be filled with boiling water and thrown into a backpack. I get it.

What I don't get is how a mug with a closed lid position let's out as much liquid out as when it is in the open position.

For an extra few pennies they could have made a lid which stopped the liquid from pouring out when closed, instead they went for a cheap, loose revolving lid which is always 'open'.

PIG IRON
PIG IRON

5.0 out of 5 stars Brutal, dark and believeable, 13 Jun 2013
This review is from: PIG IRON (Kindle Edition)
I wasn't sure what to expect from a book about a traveller family and their black sheep son.

After finishing this book I was completely bought in to John-John, the story is quietly brooding and whilst it has it's explosive moments it's more about John-John being unable to escape a seemingly predetermined role.

I loved the twist in the tale and the ending was just right.

Looking forward to Benjamin's next book.

The Good Father
The Good Father

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly moving and compelling story, 13 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Good Father (Kindle Edition)
This book made me very aware of being a father.

In my opinion this book is at it's most successful when it explores how we deal with the cognitive dissonance that occurs when we love someone and simultaneously can't understand them.

This isn't my normal read, and to be honest I was put off a little by the Richard & Judy Book of the week type publicity, I'm glad I read it and won't forget it in a hurry.

Jog On Fat Barry
Jog On Fat Barry

5.0 out of 5 stars Memorable, gritty and haunting stories, 13 Jun 2013
This review is from: Jog On Fat Barry (Kindle Edition)
Buying self published books on Kindle has been for the most part a complete success, and Jog On Fat Barry is no exception.

I read this a few weeks ago and the stories and characters are still lurking in the back of my mind.

Worth every penny.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars After looking at dozens of money clip wallets this is by far the best quality., 13 Jun 2013
I have been searching for a high quality leather money clip wallet for a while now, and I have been in to numerous shops and looked at a lot of them.

This TUMI product is by far the best I have seen!

PROS: Beautiful soft tactile leather, very high quality solid feel
CONS: Can really only hold 4 credit cards and it can be a bit slow to get at them since it is a snug fit.

A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy
A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy
by William B Irvine

5.0 out of 5 stars This book should change your life, 23 Oct 2012
I'm not one for self help books, however after stumbling across the Stoic philosophy in Tom Wolfe's A Man In Full I searched out any books which could shed some light on this world view.

A Guide to the Good Life is a marvellous book, which manages to intertwine the history of the Stoics into a modern day manual for living.

OUTSIDE - a post-apocalyptic novel (Outside Series Book 1)
OUTSIDE - a post-apocalyptic novel (Outside Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! Bring on Book 2, 2 Sep 2012
Okay, I'm going to fess up.

I have always tended to avoid 'action' books written by women... I mean surely they can't really do dark, gritty post apocalyptic novels!

Shalini Boland (amongst others including Julianna Baggott) have re-wired that shameful, shallow and chauvinistic part of my brain permanently.

Outside is set in the sweetspot of post-apocalyptic fiction - enough time has passed to let the world mature into some semblance of society, yet tension and violence lurk everywhere.

I'm hooked on the world and characters that Boland has created and I'll grab Outside Book 2 as soon as it comes out.

Pure
Pure

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it. Felt like one of China Miéville's better novels, 2 Sep 2012
This review is from: Pure (Kindle Edition)
Before I bought this I skimmed the titles that Baggott had written previously and was a bit concerned that despite the good premise and great reviews that Pure would be a modern fantasy in the sparkly, angst ridden vampire genre.

Boy did I do her a great disservice. She creates worlds in a similar fantastical mould as Paolo Bacigalupi and China Miéville

There are plenty of smart reviews below which outline the plot, so I will really only add one more thing... buy this book!

Flowertown
Flowertown

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 2 Sep 2012
This review is from: Flowertown (Kindle Edition)
Believable, action packed and very well written. I'm very impressed with this book and can't wait for more novels from this author!

The Last Man on Earth Club
The Last Man on Earth Club

5.0 out of 5 stars Novel premise and excellent writing, 2 Sep 2012
A therapy group for the last remaining individuals of their species... The Last Man on Earth Club is set in a future where we have discovered, and are able to travel to parallel universes - the multiverse theory. Our human society inevitably encounters civilizations which are dying. How we might cope with that and help deal with the trauma felt by lone survivors makes a tremendous setting.

Despite dealing with some complex science and intricate back-stories, the pacing of the book is just right. Hardy keeps the plot believable, yet adds a few twists. His writing is confident.

Very highly recommended!