Profile for Amazon Customer B728 > Reviews

Content by Amazon Custome...

Amazon Customer B728 (England)

Page: 1 | 2
Buddhist Dictionary: Manual of Buddhist Terms and Doctrines
Buddhist Dictionary: Manual of Buddhist Terms and Doctrines
by Nyantiloka

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential help to understanding Buddhist terms in the Pali Canon, 22 Mar. 2015
Please be clear what this book is. It is a dictionary of the technical Buddhist terms used in the Pali Canon. Although the main entries are all found under the relevant Pali term (e.g. avijja, dukkha, khanda, etc.) the dictionary also includes the English expressions commonly used (e.g. ignorance, suffering, aggregates) with brief definitions and pointers to the Pali terms where the main articles are found. Since it is limited to terms used in the Pali Canon, it is of value for understanding the early Buddhist tradition, and the Theravada tradition which grew out of that. It does not cover other Buddhist traditions. It was originally compiled by the German monk Nyanatiloka while he was interned in India by the British authorities during World War II. Since then it has been enlarged and revised.

Many meditation books today refer to Pali words as part of their explanations, often because the writers find them largely untranslatable. And when I try reading the early Buddhist suttas, even in translation, the terminology used is often unclear. (What are defilements, or influxes? What is liberation?) This dictionary does a very good job at telling me, in a concise way, exactly what these words mean. It also illustrates terms with quotations from the Buddhist suttas. As I continue to puzzle over the teaching of the Buddha, and try to express it in ways that are both faithful to the original and yet understandable in today's English, this is an essential book for me.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, 6 Mar. 2015
Nice dark brown colour, but very thin, cheap material, and appallingly cheap tailoring. Two pieces of pleated material have just been stitched together with no regard to the pleating. Hoping you won't notice this, someone had pinned a label to it which read "A-star School wear speclist" (sic). Perhaps someone needs to go back to school! Or needs to employ an English specialist!

The Lakeland Peaks
The Lakeland Peaks
by William Arthur Poucher

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth getting, 5 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Lakeland Peaks (Hardcover)
Brilliant book. A bit long in the tooth now, but the (black and white) photos have certainly inspired me to do better with my own camera - not just to take a photo of something, but to make a real picture of it. Includes some fascinating information from a previous era - now I know why Hole-in-the-Wall is so called. And seeing the routes marked on the photos, and peaks and other features named on them, just makes everything so much clearer. Has been well worth getting.

Jasmine Silk Pure Silk Gloves Thermal Liner Glove Inner Ski Bike Cycle Gloves (Small)
Offered by Jasmine Silk

5.0 out of 5 stars iPad friendly!, 12 Feb. 2014
I'm delighted with these new inner glove liners. Used them on a cold, windy day last week. When I took my outer gloves off to adjust my camera settings I had no problem using the rather small, fidley buttons on the camera - as I had hoped - without exposing bare skin to the wind. But even better, I found I could operate my iPad. The gloves must be thin enough so that the touch screen still responds to my finger through these gloves. Since I use the iPad for navigating on a walk, this is very useful on cold windy days.

Polycell 3I1MKSPRY 500ml 3-in-1 Mould Killer Spray
Polycell 3I1MKSPRY 500ml 3-in-1 Mould Killer Spray

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 22 Dec. 2013
Had some mould growing on a piece of furniture, and on the spines of a couple of books, all of which were in a cellar which was more damp than I realised. I had tried a number of approaches to get rid of it from the furniture without success. But this got rid of it immediately. And the two books have come out nice and clean with no damage. I don't know how typical this is, but it certainly seems to have worked well for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2014 2:27 PM GMT

Complete Lakeland Fells
Complete Lakeland Fells
by Bill Birkett

4.0 out of 5 stars Describes lots of walks rather than the fells, 21 Dec. 2013
Bill Birkett has done a meticulous job of identifying and classifying all the summits and minor tops of over 1000ft in the Lake District, and along the way he has taken some marvellous photographs, all on 35mm colour transparency film.
Bill's approach to hill-walking is not mine. His aim appears to be simply to 'bag' as many of these tops as possible, in the shortest distance he can manage. For me the top is often the least interesting part of the fell. I like to savour the approach, and the return. I like to explore the ridges, the coves, the valleys. The best views, I often find, are from half-way up; or, at least the ones that yield the most picturesque photographs. And I like to link my walks up, gradually extending the 'net' of paths and routes I've covered. Places become old friends, approached in new ways.
And yet I do find Bill's book to be both inspiring and useful. Often I've puzzled over planning a route, only to turn to Bill's book and gain a completely new approach from it. I started with his brief 'almanac', which gives me all I really need from him, but I've moved on to this volume which I find more readable.
I wish he had said something about the fells themselves, to help me get to know them better. Other guide books, and even Wikipedia, have to fill in that gap. I wish he had discussed the merits of alternative routes. But his emphasis on visiting all the minor tops rather than just "the summit" does chime in with my approach of savouring the whole fell. In the end, what he does, he does well, and even I find new inspiration from his book. So, four stars: I like it!

The Voyage of the Beagle
The Voyage of the Beagle

4.0 out of 5 stars a surprising discovery, 8 Dec. 2013
This book revealed Darwin to be a fascinating person, who was himself intrigued by all he found on this lengthy voyage. He was evidently very fit and prepared to undergo some deprivations to explore many of the lands he visited. The way he records his thoughts and observations are quite readable and generally comprehensible to the layman; we learnt a lot and were also entertained. Incidentally, the book is about the places visited and almost nothing about the voyage itself.

Exped Air Pillow-Ruby Red-M
Exped Air Pillow-Ruby Red-M
Offered by Facewest

5.0 out of 5 stars For a good night's sleep, 23 Nov. 2013
I used this pillow on a camping trip last week. It's as light as a feather and packs flat when deflated. I roll it up with my Thermarest. Then it blows up with just a few puffs. It made a good cushion to sit on while I was cooking and eating, and then at night it gave my head plenty of support. I sleep on my side and found it worked well. It seemed to stay in place with no trouble either. An essential bit of camping kit.

Coghlans Back Packers Trowel - Orange
Coghlans Back Packers Trowel - Orange

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough, sharp, strong, light and easy to use, 23 Nov. 2013
I've used this trowel on a couple of camping trips now, and it is wonderful. It cuts easily through the tangled mass of vegetation roots with its sharp point. I angle it at 45 degrees, pointing to the centre of a small circle, so it cuts out a cone shaped plug of soil, then lift that out in one piece. If necessary, I then dig further down, and afterwards I can pop the cone-shaped lid back over the hole. Bright orange, so I don't lose it either.

MSR GroundHog Stake Kit - Red
MSR GroundHog Stake Kit - Red
Offered by Dales Distribution Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock solid stakes, 23 Nov. 2013
Went camping last week and used these tent pegs. They slid into the ground easily. Then the wind picked up, it was quite gusty up in the mountains where I had camped, and it kept moving round. At one point it was blowing really hard against the side of the tent. Luckily things quietened down overnight. But the MSR groundhogs hadn't budged a millimetre. In the morning a sharp tug on each of the attached cord loops brought them straight out of the ground. The peat needed cleaning out of the three angles, but that was a very small price to pay for a design which certainly paid for itself many times over that night. Excellent.

Page: 1 | 2