Profile for Campbell79 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Mundial 6" Craft Scissors, Set of 12 Scissors
Mundial 6" Craft Scissors, Set of 12 Scissors

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 11 Dec 2014
Great product as described and super fast delivery too. Can't complain

G-HUB® - EE KESTREL Silicon Bendy Gel Phone Case - Protective Soft Gel Phone Cover Skin in BLACK for HUAWEI ASCEND G6 4G Model SmartPhone - 2014 (Alias Name in UK is EE KESTREL for this Model)
Offered by OGADGETHUB

5.0 out of 5 stars would use again and recommend., 26 Nov 2014
Product as described, no problems, and speedy delivery, would use again and recommend.

Mrs Fisher's Tulip
Mrs Fisher's Tulip
by Melanie Hughes

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading reviews and praise for Mrs Fisher's Tulip, 30 Sep 2010
This review is from: Mrs Fisher's Tulip (Paperback)
I am terribly sorry not to have read the review by `Mum To One Dog' before purchasing this book. In fact I, rather foolishly, believed some of the rave reviews this title received within the forum section of this website, this, along with the decent number of 5 and 4 star reviews, made me click to `buy'. Big mistake! Looking in detail at those persons who have left 5 star reviews, the majority have chosen this very book to make their first, and only, review. Never a good sign.

I totally agree with Mum To One Dog's comments regarding punctuation and this was my reason for reading the reviews at this stage as I have reached mid-point of this novel and my patience has started to wear thin - and I am no written English expert by any means (as you can probably tell!).

If you see the comments left by Melanie Hughes (author of this novel) under the review Mum To One Dog has made, we see her state that as the narrator is a child this warrants the "erratic grasp of vocabulary and grammar". Yes, this may go some way to describe some of the vocabulary, and I do not have a problem with that at all, however, on page 47 the narrator explains to the reader that she is not very good at spelling and, having completed a spelling test and had her work checked, the page was "mostly red pen". How then do we not see numerous spelling mistakes in the book - surely this would go hand-in-hand with the child's incorrect use of punctuation?

As mentioned before, I am only half way through and so far the story is...ok. I would certainly not state it is "engrossing" or a "must read" as other (one-review-only) reviewers have. I would award it three stars at best; however I may alter this once I have read to the end.

In the meantime I thought it useful to publish this review to prevent others being taken-in by the large amount of, unwarranted, praise this has received so far.

01/10/10 Well, I have today finished this novel. The story itself is fine, quite readable but I would say that it is geared to the teenage market, actually I think this book will be well received by teenagers. A little too simplistic for my tastes but an ok read to pass the time. I will keep the rating as 3 stars.

The Girl on the Swing
The Girl on the Swing
by Ali Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 27 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Girl on the Swing (Paperback)
I will not give any details of this book as other reviewers have done a decent job of that already, all I will say is that I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it to anyone. It has a gripping narrative and a protagonist which you instantly warm to. It keeps you guessing and wanting to read on and on despite not wanting it to end.

Company of Liars
Company of Liars
by Karen Maitland

5.0 out of 5 stars Company of Liars, 17 Sep 2010
This review is from: Company of Liars (Paperback)
I have today finished this novel and can say I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The story has several twists and turns and, although I did guess at some of the 'reveals' it was fun waiting to see how matters turned out.

This book is well written and fast paced and a joy to read, in fact, I have just bought Karen's other book as this one was such a pleasure.

The Man Who Disappeared
The Man Who Disappeared
by Clare Morrall

3.0 out of 5 stars The Man Who Disappeared - or, the Man Who Went Away for a While, 18 Aug 2010
A man/husband/father/bread winner takes off and no one knows where he has gone, the family are left picking up the pieces and the mother, who had enjoyed living as a home keeper, has to find employment to keep her family's head above the water, suspicions are raised about the integrity of the father and we see how the family cope with his loss and the way that other people look down upon them because of the accusations against the father.

So far so good and I did think that this would be a fast paced book which would intrigue the reader, however, although I did enjoy the story itself, I did think that so much more could have been done to develop the characters and make one emphasise/relate to them or even like them.

Also the writing style at the beginning of the book slightly annoyed me; it seemed as though Clare Morrall was more used to taking meeting notes than writing novels as many paragraphs seemed to be in the style of bullet points rather than flowing narrative, however, this style of writing does not happen so much once the middle of the book is reached.

The above said, Clare Morrall does make the reader think about just how much we know about those we choose to spend our lives with and what we would do if faced with similar circumstances. For this reason, and for the fact that it is a good idea, I have decided it is worth 3/5 stars. The writing style at the start of the book, the fact that I didn't particularly like the main characters and the way that more could have been done with the story itself lets this book down.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2011 4:23 PM BST

Orpheus Rising
Orpheus Rising
by Bateman

4.0 out of 5 stars Orpheus Rising, 17 Jun 2010
This review is from: Orpheus Rising (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading this novel; it has all the features of a decent book - love, romance, action, thriller, lust and a man with titanium legs.

The novel tells of Michael's life living with and without the love of his life, Claire, the book jumps back and forwards at an easy-to-keep-track-of pace and is a flowing and decent read. Towards the end of the middle, it slows down a gear and introduces us to some characters that we may think we would not hear from again (all this will make sense if you read the book, I am deliberately trying to be vague).

If you are new to Bateman I would suggest reading Mystery Man first for a really good read and then perhaps moving into Orpheus Rising, as I have done, for a slightly different read.

This book is the perfect easy reading companion, good, not great but keeps you hooked all the same.

House Rules
House Rules
by Jodi Picoult

5.0 out of 5 stars House Rules - Read It!, 10 May 2010
This review is from: House Rules (Hardcover)
Jacob Hunt lives with his brother and his Mum. He has a brilliant academic mind but cannot really interact with others on a social level; it is explained to the reader that these are some of the attributes of having Asperger's Syndrome.

Due to his syndrome, Jacob requires his life to follow certain patterns and when these patterns are broken Jacob feels he can no longer cope and regresses into his safe-mental-place. His syndrome also means that he can become obsessive about certain matters and, without going into much detail, forensic science is Jacob's current topic of interest.

Both the Aspergers and forensic science have obviously been well researched by Jodi Picoult; she facinates the reader with details of how not only Jacob's life is ruled but how this also rules the lives of his family - to a huge extent.

As can be read in the majority of Jodi Picoult's novels, we have the intricacies of daily family life merged with the drama of the court room and a rollercoaster ride along the way.

I have read all of Jodi Picoult's books and must say that she is one of the best novelists I have found. House Rules certainly does not disappoint, I read this in just over one and a half days, I found it hard to put down and it kept me glued to the very end.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2011 4:36 PM BST

Fingersmith
Fingersmith
by Sarah Waters

5.0 out of 5 stars Fingersmith - Sarah Waters, 5 May 2010
This review is from: Fingersmith (Paperback)
I found this tale to be filled with suspense, intrigue and drama. It is the first of Sarah Waters books which I have read and I am now going to purchase some of her others.

I am giving this book 5 stars as the way it has been written is beautiful; it certainly makes 19th Century London come alive again, the differences between society classes are nicely portrayed, and the love story is insightful and written with care.

Without giving anything away, I certainly didn't see the story turning out as it did and I found it difficult to put down.

Excellent read. *****

The Hungry Ghosts
The Hungry Ghosts
by Anne Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hungry Ghosts - Simply Wonderful, 22 April 2010
This review is from: The Hungry Ghosts (Hardcover)
Alice's family reside in Hong Kong during the British rule, I suppose to the outsider they might look like the perfect family; father with a high ranking job, mother who is always dressed to perfection, has servants to wait on her every whim, and knows intrinsically the rules of etiquette, and then the four seemingly happy children. However life is not always as it seems to those looking in.

Myrtle, the mother, does everything in her power to maintain the illusion of perfect family life, while her four children and husband remain unhappy and seek solace in a variety of different ways. However, is it the mother who has made the family unhappy in the first place?

This captivating story of Alice's life is told by the ghost of Lin Shui. Lin Shui was brutally raped and murdered as a young girl and, not being quite ready to completely leave life, she finds Alice who becomes her host.

Although Alice is a host, it is difficult to explain the relationship between her and the ghost. They are almost like friends who look out for each other, are mischievous, loyal and dependant on each other.

Saying that, this book itself it difficult to sum up. It is a wonderful story which is unlike anything I have read before (I certainly wouldn't compare it to The Lovely Bones as others have). The descriptive narration is beautifully picturesque and enchanting.

I would say that this book is a 'must read', Anne Berry is a hugely gifted writer and I am looking forward to her next novel. Worth every one of five stars. *****

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9