Profile for Worker Bee > Reviews

So Rebellious A Lover [Us Import]
So Rebellious A Lover [Us Import]
Offered by MEGA Media FBA

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 26 Jun 2014
Having waited an age for this to actually arrive, it's really very disappointing. This is the 4th of Gene's albums in my collection, and the weakest in my view. The two reasons for this are too many weak and insignificant songs ( and why "cover" Woody Guthrie ? - you can't ) and Carla Olson. I am a sucker for boy/girl harmonies, especially on sentimental songs, and have many albums with lovely combinations (Plant/Krauss, Parsons/Harris, for example ) but here I find Olson's strident Texan delivery positively grating and frankly distracting, and don't find it complements Gene's voice at all.

THAT voice, especially on the stronger tracks (coincidentally when Olson doesn't seem to feature much ) like "Gypsy Rider" and "Day for Night" - well, utterly wonderful is the least I can say

Such a disappointment, expected far far more

It's Raining Men: Every cloud has a silver lining...
It's Raining Men: Every cloud has a silver lining...
by Milly Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough undemanding read but amateurishly written, 12 May 2014
Was lent this by a girlfriend as a holiday read having discovered I had nothing to take, last minute, and she knows I like “chick-lit” very much. I’d never heard of Milly Johnson and the cover was originally enough to make me very wary, but overall I enjoyed the book, although not to the extent of all the ecstatic 5-star reviewers !

I found the storyline a bit rambling and there were phases when nothing much seemed to be happening, and I struggled to “visualise” the village ( not sure how a previous reviewer says it is based on Robin Hood’s Bay ?? ) but all in all it had some originality in the story and some of the twists were indeed clever.

My main gripe is that I found it shockingly badly, and amateurishly, written, and, having read loads of chick-lit over the years, I wonder if one day an author will actually describe things in real detail – I mean, where are the characters complaining of PMT, for example, it never happens in books and as a lot of us know it’s very real and it spoils holidays….except in books !
All in all a decent enough “easy” read, if you’ve got some time to kill and you’re not expecting Shakespeare, but doubt I’ll read any more by this writer.
Comment Comments (19) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2014 6:35 AM BST

Barber/Korngold: Violin Concertos
Barber/Korngold: Violin Concertos

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful all round, 31 Mar 2014
Beautiful music, quite beautifully played and conducted. Shaham certainly brings a lot of emotion to his reading, without the histrionics other violinists may have been tempted to add.

Pifco P44011 Air Dehumidifier, 16 oz
Pifco P44011 Air Dehumidifier, 16 oz

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 31 Mar 2014
Small - so, inconspicuous - very quiet and has certainly extracted a lot of moisture from a damp room. Running overnight on a timer ( on Economy 7 ) certainly hasn't had any visible impact on fuel bills.

Ryman Colour Box File Foolscap Pack of 5
Ryman Colour Box File Foolscap Pack of 5
Offered by Ryman Stationery and Office Supplies

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very sturdy, 31 Mar 2014
OK product and at least not the extortionate price that these box files seem to inexplicably go for usually, but these are quite "flimsy", I certainly wouldn't be confident that in 5 years they won't have collapsed

SAVFY® Mudguard Easy-fit for Rear Bicycle Mountain Bike Mud Guard Cycle
SAVFY® Mudguard Easy-fit for Rear Bicycle Mountain Bike Mud Guard Cycle
Offered by eLifeStore Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, great price, 31 Mar 2014
What more can I say - fitted in 3 minutes, doesn't wobble about and keeps my back ( a lot ) drier

Great product, excellent value, bought a second one for my other bike

No Other
No Other

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm missing something here...., 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: No Other (Audio CD)
In the 60s I was a very big fan of the Byrds and thought Gene Clark’s voice ( albeit fairly shortlived in Byrds incarnation ) to be a fantastic instrument. However, I don’t quite get the adulation for this album (A well-known music review journal describes it as a “masterpiece”, and there are a lot of 5-star reviews here ).

Yes, the voice sounds great on several songs but, for me, on the ones deemed fit to be the final versions ( e.g. tracks 1-8) I really don’t like all the “girlie chorusing” going on in the background, for me it spoils it all considerably. The actual lyrics are great, though.

I much prefer the “additional” tracks ( ironic, really, as these were the ones deemed NOT good enough for the original finished product ) as they don’t have the backing singers and other “enhancements”

I was going to get some more of his CDs but I don’t think I will bother, this one is quite enough, and I find that a major disappointment.

Omega Black High Sensitivity Multiband Radio (Normal FM Radio + Air Band - Marine - TV1 - CB) 4997 - Battery Operated (optional mains electric adapter) 88 MHz - 108 MHz + 108 MHz - 136 MHz + 54 MHz - 87 MHz (some religious broadcasts are also available on these bands) - UK MODEL
Offered by Discount Deals Only

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 28 Jan 2014
Only works if I am within 400 metres of the runway at my local airport and even then it's "crackly". Sitting in my garden trying to listen in to the aircraft passing overhead on way to said airport is pointless, all I get is "hissing".

Utter waste of money
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2014 6:28 PM BST

Center-Loaded Telescoping Whip Antenna
Center-Loaded Telescoping Whip Antenna
Offered by T2 Enterprises Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't fit, 28 Jan 2014
From the description and some of the reviews, I had the impression that this aerial was "universal". However it doesn't fit my airband radio at all so is not usable. You live and learn I suppose

Vienna: The Rough Guide (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
Vienna: The Rough Guide (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
by Rob Humphreys

1.0 out of 5 stars A real departure, 24 Nov 2013
I own a very large number of Rough Guides and have found them invaluable in many palces over many years.

Ahead of a trip to Vienna I purchased this - it's awful. Apart from being in really tiny type, it is a real departure from the usual RG "style". It is like a very boring architecture book, and lacks any of the "humorous insights" endemic ( I thought ) to RG writers.

I have put it in the bin and bought the Lonely Planet book - cost more but at least tells me what I want to kinow about Vienna unlike this dreary rubbish

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5