Profile for B. Baxter > Reviews

Content by B. Baxter

B. Baxter (South East England)

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite perfect, 14 Sep 2007
I'll be short as there are other reviews here that state just how good the sound from these headphones are. However I wish to note one important benefit not so far mentioned.

They do not leak noise into the external environment.

If your like me and end up wanting to strangle various inconsiderate people whose headphones blare music out into the external environment then these are a superb choice. Even at full volume and in a quite office environment I can hardly hear anything. Arguably that's because they do not go very loud as one reviewer has stated. but how loud do you want something to go that sits so close to the eardrum? They go loud enough for me to enjoy my music. The only time you'll really notice that they do not go high enough is on the tube.

On the down side the bass can be a bit heavy. Depending how you listen you can adjust your EQ to balance this. I have yet to but then I do not find the sound invasive on my listening experience.

I've now had mine for the best part of 9 months and I am still incredibly pleased with them. Although expensive they do justify their price with the superb sound quality.

Chasm City (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Chasm City (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Alastair Reynolds

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark; Hard and Slippery, 16 Oct 2003
Chasm City is the follow up to Alistar Reynolds first book Revelation Space. The book's opening pages are satisfyingly dark and tense, but unfortunately the author fails to capitalise on this and the story ends up being far lighter than the intial pages would implie.

The Canopy dwellers also seem very reminiscent of the Culture and other similarities exist between Reynolds and Ian Banks writing, but there is enough original content there to satisfy those looking for a new experience especially for those that enjoy hard science SF. That said this book is far lighter on the hard science than Revelation Space.

For those that have read his first book Chasm City returns to Yellowstone and Sky's Edge; concentrating its story around the melding plague, and revealing far more history than previously supplied. In doing so Reynolds successfully adds depth to his universe. A nice touch is that the first two books can be read in any order both giving hints at what's in the other. It also retains the same outrageously slippery plot which truly has you guessing right to the end as the original.

This is a exceedingly well written book and even with it's hard science, as a relative new comer to the genre I found it easy and compulsive reading. Well worth checking out.