Profile for A. Duggan > Reviews

Content by A. Duggan

A. Duggan "Rush Lord" (England)

Page: 1 | 2
Clockwork Angels [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Clockwork Angels [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Rush

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply The Best, 27 Nov. 2013
Yes I am a diehard Rush fan and yes I am blinkered by my undivided love for this band. Having said all that I think this is their best ever video/DVD release. Why? because I simply love the 80's era of Rush especially Power Windows and there is plenty on here to keep me happy. And as for Clockwork Angels it's a fantastic album brought to life here with the string section adding a magical element to the whole thing.

If you love Rush then you will have already bought this and if you're not then you won't like it, and if you're one of those whingers who say things like "Why do they have to bring out a DVD every tour" or "The mix is too much bass for my delicate audiophile ears" then don't buy it no one's holding a gun to your head.

Le Sacre Du Travail (The Rite Of Work)
Le Sacre Du Travail (The Rite Of Work)

2.0 out of 5 stars Another case Of Reg Rock, 19 July 2013
I've some great albums this year sadly this isn't one of them. This is one of those albums that will be labelled Prog Rock, but people sometimes forget that Prog is short for progressive and this really is regressive e.g. Reg Rock. The whole album plods along with no direction and no purpose. It could have been made in the seventies it sounds that dated. Why people make these albums is a mystery to me.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2014 9:40 PM GMT

Clockwork Angels
Clockwork Angels

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Album Not An Average One!!!, 12 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Clockwork Angels (Audio CD)
I have completely re-written my review from a few days ago as this album has just suddenly clicked with me. I should have known by now as a Rush fan of 36 years they have done it again. On first listening this album sounded average and after a couple of days it sounded a bit better but not much. Then suddenly last night listening to it on my headphones it just clicked. I really love it now I really do, I take back all what I said before about it being average and apologize if I mislead anyone as this truly is a monster of an album.

Darn those Rush boys they really know how to confuse and old fart like me!!!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2012 12:00 PM BST

Take That: Progress Live [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Take That: Progress Live [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Take That
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars I was there!!, 20 Nov. 2011
This is a good release but the fact it's two nights stitched together spoils it a bit for me. I was there at one of the nights this was recorded and can tell which bits were recorded one night and were was recorded the other. It does however capture the spectacle pretty well and all its effects etc, but I do prefer the Circus DVD

Time Machine 2011: Live In Cleveland [Blu-ray]
Time Machine 2011: Live In Cleveland [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Rush
Offered by MediaMerchants

4.0 out of 5 stars Their Best Yet !!, 20 Nov. 2011
As a long time Rush fan and devotee of the Holy Trinity it's easy to give them over hyped reviews and to defend them even when in your heart of hearts you something isn't that good. Having said that this is their best release in the DVD era just shading past `In Rio` Why because it has a different feel to all their other releases thanks to the Directors Sam Dunn and Scott Mcfayden. Plus the song balance is just right with the whole of Moving Pictures played. For me Snakes and Arrows Live had too many new songs and R30 had too many covers. So all in all a fine release

The Ghost You Gave To Me
The Ghost You Gave To Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 20 Nov. 2011
If you want something fresh, exciting and downright good then this is the CD for you. I always wonder how bands like Coldplay get so big with their turgid rehash of old themes when there are bands like this around. Do yourself a favour and buy this, you won't regret it

AC/DC Live at River Plate [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
AC/DC Live at River Plate [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ David Mallet

4.0 out of 5 stars AC/DC Switched On, 27 July 2011
I used to love AC/DC with Bon Scott and have every record and CD from that era, but with Brian Johnson they only made one good record and that was Back In Black, after that it was just so so album after so so album. Even the band know this just look how many songs they still use live from the Bon Scott era. Anyway after seeing the ads in many a rock magazine for Live at River Plate I decided to buy this with out too much expectation. But hey this is pretty good, not perfect though there are too many plodding songs to make it exceptional. What makes this stand out is the wonderful crowd, South American fans really know how to enjoy music concerts. So I can recommend this and you can always fast forward the bad songs.

Alan duggan

Memories in My Head
Memories in My Head
Offered by skyvo-direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Album From a Fantastic Band, 4 July 2011
This review is from: Memories in My Head (Audio CD)
I love this band they bring something totally unique to the Progressive Table and they have never brought anything less than fantastic until now. Memories In My Head just doesn't reach the giddy heights of their previous releases. Hopefully this is just a temporary lapse in standards (after all this is just an EP) and the next album will of the usual superb quality.

Alan Duggan

Sony ZS-S4IPB iPOD Boom Box
Sony ZS-S4IPB iPOD Boom Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastico, 27 April 2009
I received this product today and I am so delighted with it. It looks good plays good and sounds good, and the Ipod function is fantastic. You can select all the Ipod functions through the units remote control and the Ipod sits inside the unit as opposed to sticking out on it's own which makes moving it about very easy. All in all a very well designed product which I can thoroughly recommend.

Snakes & Arrows [Jewelcase Version]
Snakes & Arrows [Jewelcase Version]

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Album From A Great Band, 16 May 2007
Being a devoted Rush fan since 1976 I was hoping this album was going to be dynamite, but sadly it isn't. It still is a very good album, but not a great one. There are some great tracks and I love Bravest Face and Spindift especially, but there are some so-so tracks to like Faithless and Good News First.

The troule is the three members are all comfortable now, when they were young and hungry is when all their best work was done. I like this album, but as with Vapor Trails I don't think many tracks wil make it on to my greatest Rush songs of all time list.

Page: 1 | 2