Profile for R. J. Alexander > Reviews

Content by R. J. Alexander

R. J. Alexander

The Lazy Teacher's Handbook: How your students learn more when you teach less (Independent Thinking Series)
Price: 10.55

2.0 out of 5 stars No real insights., 21 Dec 2013
Pretty obvious stuff for any but the most new teachers. If you followed all his advice you would definitely be delivering 'good' lessons but I would doubt the potential to reach 'outstanding'.

Iron War: Two Incredible Athletes. One Epic Rivalry. The Greatest Race of All Time.
Price: 3.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Nail Biting Stuff, 21 Dec 2013
Excellent book. As a runner who knows nothing about Iron Man I had no idea who Dave Scott and Mark Allen were before a friend recommended this book. From the first page it really draws you into the race and keeps you hooked until the final showdown. I truly had no idea which way it was going to finish. A fantastic read.

Lightning Bolt
Lightning Bolt
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and Miss, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: Lightning Bolt (MP3 Download)
There are some great new songs on here (Getaway, Sirens, Swallowed Whole, Pendulum) but also a lot of filler (Mind Your Manners, My Father's Son, Let the Record's Play) and why there is a re-recording of Sleeping By Myself is a mystery. There is still life in Pearl Jam but this is far from their classic early albums.

BioShock 2 (PS3)
BioShock 2 (PS3)
Offered by Trade-N-Go Gaming
Price: 14.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good...but not great., 17 Feb 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: BioShock 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
Firstly I should point out that i've not played or seen the first.

Graphics - Given that I was really pleased by the whole steam-punk 40's version of the future, even if it was too dark at times. In fact, for claustrophobia and shocks it would have been better to include a torch mode and made it darker.

Animation/Gameplay - This started really well but did become samey. One good feature is being able to change the difficulty setting as like many games in the first 2-3 chapters everything is impossible to kill but once you have a bunch of guns and tricks it's too easy. I also thought the tragetting system was erratic at best and there's too much ammo (i never once got that Res Evil feeling where I was counting each bullet!)

Story - Seen a few complaints about this but as a newbie to the franchise I thought it was quite good (if somewhat sick) and am looking frward to it unfolding further.

Overall (B+) Good, solid, well produced game, that never quite reaches the heights or originality to make it great.

Sony CMT-BX70DBi DAB Micro HiFi System with Built-In iPod Dock
Sony CMT-BX70DBi DAB Micro HiFi System with Built-In iPod Dock

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking system but terrible radio signal, 12 Dec 2009
Bought this a couple of months ago from Amazon but only just round to reviewing it. Decent delivery etc, good price for a nice looking system. The sound quality for a small system is good, I like the fact that it is compatible with every type of ipod/iphone we've plugged into it. On the minus side, and this is the reason for only three stars, the radio signal is terrible. If you have a weak DAB signal in your area do be prepared to buy a booster, which I am finally biting trhe bullet and doing. I can't even get Radio One or other FM stations with the system. The only station I can get is our local BBC station on MW, and as for DAB, forget it! It's a shame because if there was a better aerial provided rather than the flimsy (and very short) bit of wire, then it would pick up more. Wish me luck finding a booster which works!

Forever Odd (Odd Thomas 2)
Forever Odd (Odd Thomas 2)
by Dean Koontz

1.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the worst book ever, 4 Oct 2009
I have read many of Koontz's book and they tend to jump between either masterful or awful, but this is truly rubbish. The fact that trees were cut down to print this dirge is a sad sign of modern society. Mr Koontz should publicly apologise.
I realsied it was bad about a third of the way through. 'Why are you still reading it?' asked my wife. I explained that I was gripped by a grim fascination that I had discovered the worst book in the world - ever - and had to get to the end to see if it kept getting worse. It did.
The only advice I can can give is; READ SOMETHING ELSE.