Profile for Daniel Defoe > Reviews

Pure Move 400D Palm Sized Rechargeable Digital DAB/FM Radio - Silver
Pure Move 400D Palm Sized Rechargeable Digital DAB/FM Radio - Silver
Offered by TODO! TODO!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent travel radio, 20 Oct 2014
Our previous FM travel radio was difficult to keep on station because of weak signal where we live, so our new Palm has solved the problem.

It would be perfect if one didn't have to pull the stand out to make it stand up.

Casio MRW-200H-1BVEF Men's Quartz Watch with Black Dial Analogue Display and Black Resin Strap

3.0 out of 5 stars Good watch for its price., 20 Oct 2014
Keeps excellent time and does everything I want. My only worry is that the winder came right out once when I was trying to adjust the date. I thought I had damaged the watch beyond repair, but eventually I managed to replace the winder, and it seems to work alright now. Its timing mechanism has to assume that all months are 31 days long, so after any shorter month, it as to be manually adjusted.

One other criticism - I personally cannot pull out the winder with my rather fat fingers; I have to use narrow point pliers for this each time.

A Cruel Harvest
A Cruel Harvest

4.0 out of 5 stars A hard book to put down, 30 Aug 2014
This review is from: A Cruel Harvest (Kindle Edition)
A difficult book to put down. Jam packed with action and suspense, and not the sort of book that can send you to sleep, however tired. After a while the author's technique becomes repetitive. A desperate situation arises, crisis is solved and all seems well, but then the unexpected happens. Fortunately the new problem is solved by a bullet luckily hitting its target, a friend turning up in the nick of time etc, followed by more relief - until.... and so on.

But I enjoyed it all the same.

Colgate Toothpaste Regular
Colgate Toothpaste Regular
Offered by Blackbeautyint

1.0 out of 5 stars A bad taste, 4 July 2014
Doesn't taste right.

The pack contained 2 tubes with the Guildford address on them, while all the other tubes seem to have been made in Taiwan.

The Guildford ones taste OK, but the Taiwanese ones taste awful - and leave a nasty aftertaste in the mouth.

I certainly can't use them.

An Officer and a Spy
An Officer and a Spy

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of interest and suspense, 21 Oct 2013
Robert Harris has written a gripping account of the Dreyfus Affair, revealing the corruption at the top of the French army in those days, and the tremendous battle by George Pickard to reveal Dreyfus' innocence and the degree of army anti-Semitism and obstruction. An army that was quite prepared to let an innocent man die in dreadful circumstances, rather than admit to the phoniness of his trial, their part in this, and Dreyfus' obvious innocence. A thrilling page turner.

WHITE ROTARY GRATER WITH STAINLESS STEEL DRUM
WHITE ROTARY GRATER WITH STAINLESS STEEL DRUM
Offered by best deal 4 u

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 Oct 2013
It grates cheese too fine, and also leaves a big residue of cheese ungrated. It looks very similar to our previous one, which is why we bought it, but this new one performs a lot less well.

CTEK XS 0.8 12V 1.2A - 32A 6-Stage Battery Charger
CTEK XS 0.8 12V 1.2A - 32A 6-Stage Battery Charger

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent product, 25 Sep 2013
I bought this because my ageing sports car is seldom used, and I often found that the battery was flat as a result. The CTech is very neat, and it has performed exactly as promised. I now leave it charging the battery whenever I am not using the car, and don't fear a flat battery again.

Navitech Black Premium Executive Leather Flip Folio Book Style Carry Case For The Amazon Kindle Paperwhite & Kindle Paperwhite 3G 6 Inch
Offered by Navitech Official Uk Store Ltd - Order Expedited shipping before the 23rd Dec for Guaranteed Christmas delivery

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent product, 25 April 2013
My only grumble is that the magnetic catch should have been stronger; it has a habit of coming undone on its own.

Memoirs of a British Agent
Memoirs of a British Agent
by R. H. Bruce Lockhart

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating historical document, 9 Sep 2012
The author came once and addressed this reviewer's school, of which he was a former inmate. He described himself to us as "a rolling stone who has gathered some moss".

The descriptions of the author's young life with the rubber planters in Malaya are fun, but the really fascinating chapters are towards the end of the book, when he describes his many meetings with Trostky and Lenin and other leaders of the Bolshevik revolution in Russia towards the end of the First World War, and his failed attempts to dissuade the Western Allies from intervening to try and defeat the nascent revolution. Then being accused, falsely, by Bolshevik elements of being behind the assassination attempt on Lenin, resulting in his imprisonment in the Lubyanka and the Kremlin before being released in a spy swap, as Lenin recovered from his serious injuries.

Some of the middle parts of the book can be a bit tedious, as we are introduced to one Russian after another, but the gripping final chapters fully reward perseverance. The author's son provides a useful forward, which casts light on all the many activities that his father was involved in during the rest of his unusually eventual life.

Roberts Unologic DAB/FM RDS Digital Radio with Built-in Battery Charger - White
Roberts Unologic DAB/FM RDS Digital Radio with Built-in Battery Charger - White

5.0 out of 5 stars A neat little radio, 14 Feb 2012
We have been very pleased with this radio for the limited use it's put to. The sound is clear, and it's easy to work.

My wife uses it just to listen to the Archers over her drink in the evening, as our superb Linn sitting room tuner/amplifier no longer works for Radio 4. But for music, we always use the Linn, because of its outstanding quality. We have other radios around the house for listening at other times of the day.

Page: 1 | 2