Profile for J. Charles > Reviews

Content by J. Charles

J. Charles

Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the Dog (Penguin Classics)
Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the Dog (Penguin Classics)
by Jerome K. Jerome

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 years young, 10 July 2012
This piece of literature was written over one hundred years ago...and it had me in fits of laughter. It was such an absolute joy to read, it turned my mundane robot like commute into my favourite part of the day. The way Jerome tells a story is timeless, hilarious and at times poetic. Its an amazing piece of escapism that transports you back in time and takes you along the beautiful (in most parts) stretch of the Thames with Jerome and his friends...not forgetting the dog!

It really does deserve its label as a classic if only because its stood the test of time and I honestly cannot see how it would fail to ignite the imaginations of everyone that reads it.

If I can offer any advise to those of you that have taken the time to read my review it would be this...buy the book, it WILL put a smile on your face and ignite your sparky grey matter.

The Legendary Bulldog
The Legendary Bulldog
by Gabriel Michaels

4.0 out of 5 stars A book for enthusiasts, 10 July 2012
This review is from: The Legendary Bulldog (Paperback)
When I discovered this book i was instantly excited by the idea of a book solely about one of my great passions in life, bulldogs. I ordered my copy with out hesitation and couldn't wait for it to arrive.

After great anticipation the book finally landed on the door matt and I instantly dove in nose first. I would like to say that I fell into the story like Humpty Dumpty but unfortunately it didn't quite happen like that. Something about the way in which it had been written left me battling with the book, I just couldnt find the all important flow that you get with those great books we've all read. How ever I forced my self to persevere because I knew it had to be worth it.

It took me the first three or four chapters but finally I found my self not wanting to put the book down. Every chance I had the book was in my hands, I even found my self wishing the train would be delayed or I would get stuck on the underground just so I could read a few more pages. Before I knew it I was reading the last couple of paragraphs and wishing there was more to read.

All in all it was a great book and an enjoyable read. I think it is definitely a book for enthusiasts of bulldogs but I think any one could enjoy it.