Profile for Pip Greville > Reviews

Content by Pip Greville

Pip Greville "Pip Greville" (Bristol, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Trash Pack Series 2 Advent Calendar with 24 Trashies
The Trash Pack Series 2 Advent Calendar with 24 Trashies

1.0 out of 5 stars Out of date from the get-go, 23 May 2013
This seemed a really fun idea for Christmas for my 8 year old son, who is into Trash Pack big time. It wasn't cheap but he's outgrown things like the Playmobile advent calenders so I went for this, as an alternative to yet more chocolate. The Trash Pack come out in different series at different times and unfortunately this Advent Calendar was solely Series 2, at a point where Series 2 had been around a long time and Series 3 was only a few weeks from release. So as my son is an avid collector, the whole thing was a huge disappointment as almost all the figures in it were swaps. I'd have thought that they could at least have created a few exclusive 'Christmassy' figures for it but sadly no. So, despite seeming a nice idea, it turned out to be a lot of money for very little.

Captain Underpants and the Terrifying Return of Tippy Tinkletrousers
Captain Underpants and the Terrifying Return of Tippy Tinkletrousers
by Dav Pilkey

5.0 out of 5 stars At long last - the next book in the series., 23 May 2013
At the end of each book in this series Pilkey sets the scene for the next one in true cliff-hanger style. My son who is now nine but probably discovered Captain Underpants around six or seven, has been waiting eagerly for about a year or more for this next installment to arrive. Don't know why it's taken so long but it is as funny as the earlier ones. Daft, slightly subverisve, just a touch of the mild toilet-humour that little boys love and full of delightful illustrations. My son has enjoyed all the Captian Underpants books and we have re-read all of them over the past few years. To be honest, by now he's kind of growing out of them but for a kid in that 5 to 8 range this is a great book, as are all the others. And as bedtime stories, I enjoyed reading them to him immensely.

Old Friends - 13 Coffee Break Stories
Old Friends - 13 Coffee Break Stories

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite nicely written but certainly girlie, 23 May 2013
I downloaded these stories as something I could keep in Kindle on my phone to while away odd moments, like siting in Doctor's waiting room, etc. They seem to be quite nicely written but they are definitely 'chick-lit'. I am a guy and can't really get that involved in stories about the working women's diffficult lot when she need to clean her house for show or her student son need money. Clearly I am the wrong gender for this book - but if you are female you could well find it amusing as a series of brief tales to amuse and distract you.

USB Retractable iPod Cable Lead Charger Sync for Apple iPod with Dock Connector, iPod Nano 1G 2G 3G 4G 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB, iPod Mini, iPod U2, iPod Click Wheel, iPod Video 30GB 60GB 80GB, iPod Classic 80GB 120GB 160GB, iPod Touch 1G 2G 8GB 16GB 32GB and iPhone 1G 3G 3Gs 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB etc (White) iPad by Robin accessories
Offered by adapters and things

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful but a long wait, 10 May 2013
For a start the most important thing about this is to say how much cheaper it is than the Apple one. The standard lead would have cost me £15 in the Apple Store but this one cost about £2, and it's a bit more sophisticated with the retractable function. Only slight disappointment is that the plug that goes into the ipod is a little wider than standard because it has like finger grips to either side. It goes in fine and the thig works fine, but I was planning to use this in the car to connect my ipod nano to the hifi system but because this is a bit wider you can't have the ipod plug and the headphone jack both in at the same time. So will have to use this one in the house and the standard one in the car, which is a shame because i thought the retractable thing would be good in the car.
However, it did take a long time to get here. It did arrive within the estimated period but that estimate covered a long time, from 16th April to 7th May. It arrived about 5th May. I confess I hadn't really looked at the delivery terms properly before placing the order so was a bit shocked to find it might take that long. I mean it's come from Hong Kong bt even so, what delivery system do they use - carrier pigeon? But i guess the bottom line was that to get this for only a couple of pounds it was worth waiting a couepl of weeks.

Power Traveller Power Monkey - Universal Charger for all Mobile, PDA & iPod, 2200mAh
Offered by Flashmemo-Uk

5.0 out of 5 stars What a find!, 29 Aug. 2011
My son has an ipod touch and I have an ipod classic. We recently went on holiday to Canada for 3 weeks and I was concerned how we'd charge them up once we'd used them - my son's ipod is excellent for occupying him on long journeys etc. I asked in the Apple shop if they did a mains-pluggable recharger and was surprised when they said they didn't. Discovered the Power Monkey through on-line research and decided to take a chance. At around £25 it is not too expensive, just in case it turned out to be not much good.
It is brilliant. Charges up from mains in this country and in Canada/USA and comes complete in the box with international plug/socket adaptors. We just left the Power Monkey charging overnight in the hotel room and then recharged the ipod next morning. Easy as pie! Also it is quite reassuring that you never actually have the ipod plugged directly into the mains - just in case of power surges or something going wrong.
Back in the UK, I now charge it up and take it in my pocket whenever my son takes his ipod out with him - just in case he uses the power all up.
A brilliant product. I would thoroughly recommend it.

Angry Birds 4" Mini Plush With Sound - Pig
Angry Birds 4" Mini Plush With Sound - Pig
Offered by Mytoyfactory

4.0 out of 5 stars My 7 year old is happy, 29 Aug. 2011
I bought this for my 7 year old who has recently discovered Angry Birds on his ipod. He is enchanted with the toy.
I asked him what he liked the best about it and he said the noise it makes - authentic Angry Bird-type piggy noises.
It is a litle smaller than the ones they sell for £10 at the Build-a-Bear workshop, so he said it was a shame it wasn't bigger - but then it was a fair bit cheaper than the Build-a-Bear workshop ones. And the on-screen pigs in Angry Birds come in a variety of sizes so we just say this one is a baby pig!
It's a plush toy so durability might be a question mark if it gets wet or dirty etc. - but then that is the case for all soft toys. The battery for the sound is non-replaceable so I don't know how long that will last.
But if Angry Birds pigs is what you're after - this does the trick.

Peter Kent's A City Across Time
Peter Kent's A City Across Time
by Peter Kent

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating Book, 13 April 2011
This is a wonderful book. My 7 year old son loves it. It is full of information presented in a really interesting way. The pictures are drawn with incerdible care and eye for detail - including little touches of humour (e.g. look out for the buried mammoth skeleton and poor old caved-in Iron Age miner as the city builds up above them.)
Educational but in a very fun, enjoyable way. I recommend this book whole-heartedly.

Charlie and Lola - Volume 11: Everything is Different and Not the Same [DVD]
Charlie and Lola - Volume 11: Everything is Different and Not the Same [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a classic, 14 Feb. 2011
Charlie and Lola has always been enchanting - both for my son and for me too. I confess I preferred the original voices of the children in the earlier series but this is a small thing. My son watched the earlier DVD episodes over and over again when he was at the CBBees stage, though decided he'd ourgrown them a year or so ago. But we decided to just watch the Christmas episode in the run up to this Christmas and that got him back into them again. So much so that I had to buy DVDs numbers 9 and 10 for his 7th birthday recently. They are charming, funny, the artwork in them is clever but not too much so and, to be quite honest, they make a change form all those kids cartoons which consist of somthing fighting something else!

I would recommend this DVD to anyone. And watch it with your children - you'll love it too.

SPIN DRYER GRAVITY FED
SPIN DRYER GRAVITY FED
Offered by BA YEOMANS & SON

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job required, 2 Jan. 2011
This review is from: SPIN DRYER GRAVITY FED
I would recommend this product happily to others.
This little spin dryer arrived very promptly, securely packaged. It is not huge but does everything you'd expect - which, I guess, is spin dry clothes effectively. We bought it because the washing spun in our washing machine seems quite damp still and, when it's not the weather to hang it out on the line, it takes ages to tumble. This dryer seems to squeeze a pint or two of extra water out of the average wash which, although I've not done any scientific tests, must mean it takes less time to tumble (which means less electricity used by tumbler drier which, I beleive, gobbles up electricity.)
This drier is not all that big so a full load of washing has to be spun in three or four lots. You also have to be standing near the first half a minute or so in case the load is unbalanaced and it makes painful sounding banging noises, in which case you have to re-arrange the load - but that is common to all spin driers.
Just watch you don't get a finger caught by the lock catch on the top when you open it, as it tends to spring across quite quickly.

The Colour Of Magic [DVD] [2008]
The Colour Of Magic [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ David Jason
Offered by DVD Overstocks

2.0 out of 5 stars Simply doesn't work, 17 Oct. 2010
I adore Terry Pratchett's books and recognise that translating them to film would alway to be a challenge - what can compare with the product of his writing and your own imagination? But Hogfather worked well and Going Postal wasn't too bad, considering it seemed rather low budget, especially in the special effects of creating the golems. But The Colour of Magic simply does not work.
Maybe Terry Pratchett is a great David Jason fan, or vice versa, but, as Rincewind, Jason is totally miscast. Rincewind is tall, gangly, rather despicably self-centred and cowardly. David Jason is, as always, David Jason - cuddly, slightly muddled and loveable. In no way a realistic Rincewind (I have to admit too that his Albert was, for me, the low point of The Hogfather - too much David Jason, not enough Terry Pratchett.)
And Sean Astin as Twoflower the tourist? Who on earth thought of that? What, he played a (passable) hobbit therefore he is indispensible in filming fantasy novels? Pleeease! Dreadfully weak in characterisation. And isn't Twoflower meant to be oriental?(Interesting Times, his return, ends up with terracotta warriors!) Or did the powers-that-be think that casting him as oriental would lay them open to cries of racism? Wussies!
I woud love to say that this enthralled me - but I can't. It simply left me unsatisfied and very disappointed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2013 11:44 PM BST