Profile for Aub > Reviews

Content by Aub

Aub

Lenovo Ideapad A2109A 9 inch Tablet - Black (Nvidia Tegra 30 1.3GHz, 1GB RAM, 16GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Android 4.0)

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 13 Jun 2013
Having done some considerable research before diving into our first tablet, this looked a reasonably reliable product to start with. We decided on a tablet over a laptop for the versatility it offers as a reader for holidays. What a catastrophic disappointment - it's unbelievable that people are prepared to pay such a premium (more so for the Samsungs and Apples) for such a compromised computing experience!

That aside, it was a really steep learning curve getting used to the new format from a pc - I really didn't like that you can't close an application from within the application itself but have to instead go to the 'desktop', then check the list of apps still running and swipe it off from there. The machine initially froze a few times with inconsistent behaviour. It's quite possible that as novices we were doing something wrong, but the freezing was odd. We uploaded a word document and tried modifying it, but the docs-to-go app modified the whole format of the document so that it was different in MS Word and Open Office. Then on the 6th day the touch screen stopped responding to touch by either finger or touch-pen. Fortunately we'd bought a micro USB keyboard and with my reasonably savvy abilities from working in IT, I was able to use this to erase all documents and data before sending it back for a refund. Now we're sitting with £50 worth of Lenovo accessories and nothing to use it on!!

If you're considering a first tablet "because all my friends have one", I'd urge a long and considered think about it. If I like plums then I'm not going to start eating apples because all my friends do. Personally, I'm happy to stick to a fully functional laptop for that kind of money - there's nothing a tablet can do that a laptop can't, even if I do have to put up with a permanently attached keyboard! Of course, theres a LOT more a laptop can do that a tablet can't.

But if you must have a tablet, then this one - if you aren't as unlucky as we were with the touch screen - is a pretty good value for money option.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2013 7:57 AM BST

Afunta(tm) 9.7 inch Universal Tablet PC Leather Case with Keyboard/Holder for 9.7" Tablet PC (With Micro USB Keyboard)

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 13 Jun 2013
We got this for the 9" Lenovo and so it's not a snug fit. Nowhere on Amazon is it described that the top clip is spring loaded to fit tablets of different sizes, so I expected to have to 'jam' the tablet in, but no need.

The keys are a bit smaller than I expected, but it's still better than using the touch screen. Also, a full set of keys, so more functionality than the touchscreen option. I tested them all and there were no faults at all; this product is very good value for money.

One issue: when you hook the touch pen into its holder, it does not close properly, but this problem was easily solved by hooking it onto the spring loaded clamp!

It REALLY came into its own when the Lenovo touchscreen stopped responding to touch and I was able to use the keyboard to wipe all settings and documents before sending the tablet back. Now we are sitting with £50 worth of Lenovo accessories and no tablet :-(

SLx 27881D 18 Element Digital TV Aerial
SLx 27881D 18 Element Digital TV Aerial
Offered by THE ELECTRICAL SHOP

3.0 out of 5 stars Buckled elements, 13 Jun 2013
This item was shipped under super saver free delivery and still arrived within 2 days!! Mega impressed. However, on opening the box, I was disappointed to see a few of the elements were bent & buckled. Having a technical background, it was no issue to straighten them roughly, but I would have expected the 'ordinary Joe' to send it back.

Also, the bracket that attaches the aerial to the mounting pole is diagonal (across opposite corners as opposed to squarely one side to the other) which has a slight tendency to sway the aerial off horizontal. Reception seems fine though (I don't have a meter to measure the signal strength).

BP-508 BP-511 BP-511A BP-512 BP-514 7.4V 1400mAh Li ion Battery for Canon Cameras
Offered by Mad4tabs

4.0 out of 5 stars Cautious 4, 31 Jan 2010
So far so good; I've bought a non-brandname battery for my Canon 400D before and I look after it and it's still going strong more than 2 years later; I take a LOT of pics!
There's no telling if this one will give up the ghost prematurely, but I will try to edit my review if it does.
So that's why the 4 stars: I don't know if it will break down, but so far it does as it says on the tin!

Second Skin [DVD] [2000] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Second Skin [DVD] [2000] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Natasha Henstridge
Offered by EliteDigital UK

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm in it!, 31 Jan 2010
Not a great movie by any standards. Angus played Robert the Bruce in Braveheart. I was an extra in CT, SA and this was a set I worked on (one of the chest carriers in the hotel). A very good friend is in it too (cleaner calling room service). Neither of us got paid any extra for it! But that we are in it is the only reason I bought it.
Angus was great. I don't follow celebs, so didn't even recognise him when I sat down next to him when he wasn't filming. We struck up a conversation and he didn't let on he was famous or even the main star! Only afterwards did people ask me if I knew to whom I'd been talking!!

Don't Look Back
Don't Look Back

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reunification!, 30 Jan 2010
This review is from: Don't Look Back (Audio CD)
I have Loved Boston from about the age of 11, and had my previous collection stolen by my ex-wife! I'm very pleased to be reunited with their music again. Good ol fashioned Rock n Roll - Real instruments; real music. Roll over rap rcap claptrap trash!!!

VGA Monitor Replacement SVGA M-M 15 pin Cable Black 1.8m
VGA Monitor Replacement SVGA M-M 15 pin Cable Black 1.8m
Offered by WHOSAVE

1.0 out of 5 stars No good for modern PC's, 30 Jan 2010
I bought this cable to link a modern laptop to a modern flatscreen TV, and it didn't work. So I connected it to an existing laptop-with-2nd-monitor setup and couldn't get the full resolution capabilities of the monitor any more.

My summary is: perhaps it will work on PC's about 10 years old, but it doesn't work on the latest technology (Windows Vista etc)