Profile for Jay C > Reviews

Samsung Stylus Pen for Galaxy S3 - Titanium Silver
Samsung Stylus Pen for Galaxy S3 - Titanium Silver
Price: 14.45

3.0 out of 5 stars Specific devices and specific uses, 16 Jan 2014
I was looking for a stylus to enable note taking (including simple line drawings) on an Android tablet.

Firstly the cost: it's expensive when stacked up against the range of "crayons" out there with cheap floppy nibs and poorly made bodies. But this is a well manufactured piece of kit. It's much more similar to a mid range roller ball than anything else, with a small and firm nib that gives precise feel and response. It is heavier than cheaper styli I've used in the past which again, feels more like a pen than a pencil.

Secondly compatibility: it's branded as the C-Pen, which I mistakenly assumed stood for "capacitive" and so would work with any Samsung capacitive touch screen - it does not. I bought this (despite it being listed as "for Galaxy S3") for use with a Galaxy Tab 3, and it doesn't work at all. I don't mean innaccurate or not responsive, but it actually doesn't register at all. Curious, I turned to my wifes Galaxy S3 on which it works as advertised. I'm not sure on the physics being this, but I was slightly dissappointed.

It's left me looking towards the Adonit Jot Pro Fine Point Stylus, but these seem squarely aimed at iPad use rather than Android.

The Laws of Simplicity (Simplicity: Design, Technology, Business, Life)
The Laws of Simplicity (Simplicity: Design, Technology, Business, Life)
Price: 7.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking for all technologists, 3 April 2013
As engineers, technologists have a habit of looking through the lense of the "function". Maeda encourages more than a sideways look through the lense of the "form" of an application/device/process. With simple examples and down to earth anecdotes drawn from relevant personal experience, this quick read is thought provoking and backed up by online content for those interested enough to go looking.

Oregon Yukon II Size 8/42 Chainsaw Safety Boots
Oregon Yukon II Size 8/42 Chainsaw Safety Boots
Offered by The Safety Shack
Price: 47.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Large but rugged, 25 Feb 2013
These have only just arrived, so can't say that I've yet used them in earnest, but a few initial thoughts: -

These are large! I do have slightly flat feet so have bought an insole so that my feet don't rattle around too much. You might want to consider buying a size smaller than normal unless you're planning on wearing very thick socks.

The steel toe gives a slightly 'bulbous' appearance to the boot, which is rubberised except for the material cuff around the calf. These are slightly shorter than a full calf wellington boot, but higher than a rigger boot. The class 2 protection runs up the shin as well as the forefoot.

I'm not sure about having laces as a draw string as I don't see myself adjusting it, and I deliberately didn't want laces flapping about whilst using a saw.

There is a stripe of relective material at the base of the material cuff, more for aesthetics than praticality I would have thought.

GEAR4 KRG-D50 DAB Kitchen Radio with Dock for iPod
GEAR4 KRG-D50 DAB Kitchen Radio with Dock for iPod

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great, 1 Nov 2010
Having owned other Gear 4 products, my expectations were set for a well designed and solidly built product. I don't think anyone can argue that the KRG-D50 is not well built but there are several design flaws. I don't know if the unit firmware can be upgraded (I suspect not) but here are my thoughts having used it for a month as a bedside clock-radio.

Pros
* Great build quality
* Very easy setup
* Neat, small footprint
* Good sound quality
* Alarms for Buzzer, DAB, FM and iPod can be set for specific days of the week - no excuses for sleeping in on Mondays
* Clock time picked up from DAB signal - no worrying about setting the clock forward/back for BST
* Plenty of presets for favourite stations (20)

Cons
* DAB reception is poor where I live, but my PURE Evoke worked much better in the same location, picking up far more stations that the Gear 4
* No remote control
* As other people have mentioned, the menu system takes a little getting used to - remember to push the jog wheel to save!
* FM alarm seems to randomly default to the lowest frequency, despite what the alarm is set to
* The screen is bright, I mean really bright. I have a picture that I place in front of it overnight. You can choose between screen brightnesses within the settings, but even the lower option kept me awake
* The radio has to be on in order to change settings, so to set the alarm you have to turn it on. (Pretty antisocial)

I purchased the KRG-D50 because of the price (49 due to damaged packaging) and the list of features on paper seemed to fit everything I needed, but I have been disappointed. If I'd spent the RRP (80 I think) on it then it would have gone back by now. If you know you have good DAB signal then it may well work for you, as the FM alarm gripe that I have would presumably go away with DAB. There is certainly a feeling of design compromise here and you may be better waiting for the mark 2 which will no doubt be in the pipeline.