Profile for Spud > Reviews

Read Write Inc. Phonics: Speed Sounds Lesson Plans
by Ruth Miskin
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful planning tool for teachers, 3 Oct. 2011
As a teacher of a mixed-age class (Reception/Y1) this has been a very useful tool for planning lessons across the 2 age-ranges. It forms a good guide to plan teaching from and includes regular lessons specifically aimed at blending and segmenting skills. I'm not sure I'd recommend it to parents as it is really more suited to teachers, but if you have the money then go for it (just make sure it fits in with the phonics scheme used at your school first).

The Great Paper Caper
The Great Paper Caper
by Oliver Jeffers

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the usual Jeffers standard, 12 Feb. 2009
This review is from: The Great Paper Caper (Hardcover)
My family are all big Oliver Jeffers fans so we were very excited about the latest title. The Great Paper Caper is quite different from previous books, although it does have the usual fantastic illustrations and off-the-wall story line. What I don't like so much is the lack of sufficient text on most pages. This either makes the story painfully slow (to allow time to look at the great pictures), or you have to race past the pictures to pace the story well. My only other criticism is that it stops very abruptly and without a real ending.

It's still a good children's book but definitely not as good as other Oliver Jeffers creations.

Terra Plana Women's Odette Flat
Terra Plana Women's Odette Flat

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and stylish but small sizing, 5 Feb. 2009
I normally take a size 5 so bought these shoes in a 5 but they are little bit short on the toe. I can still wear them but I wish I'd gone for a size bigger so that they are more comfortable. I would recommend these shoes as they are very comfortable under-foot and look great - just buy a size bigger than you would normally take.

Postman Pat: in a Muddle [DVD]
Postman Pat: in a Muddle [DVD]
Dvd ~ Postman Pat

2.0 out of 5 stars Possibly not for fans of the new Postman Pat SDS, 19 Dec. 2008
My little boy is a fan of the new Postman Pat SDS series but I thought I'd try this one to introduce him to the original version. Unfortunately we all found it a bit slow and hard-going compared to the newer episodes. I'd think twice about buying this for a child who has only seen the new series as they may be disappointed.