Profile for Jonathan Wright > Reviews

Content by Jonathan Wright

Jonathan Wright "kitchenperson" (United Kingdom)

Art Brut Vrs Satan
Art Brut Vrs Satan

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the albums of the year, 16 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Art Brut Vrs Satan (Audio CD)
I've had this album since it came out in April and wanted to wait a while to give it a review. Bang Bang Rock n Roll is by far my favourite album of the decade. It's really hard when a band blows you away with their debut album there is always worry of the disappointing second album. Art Brut's second album was a very good record, brilliant in places (Direct Hit, Nag Nag Nag Nag, Late Sunday Evening) but overall it lacked the energy of the debut and I just didn't connect with it as much. Well for the third album that energy is back! The album's first single Alcoholics Unanimous set's things up nicely with a brilliant call and response chorus and a wonderful fake ending complete with Pixies Harmonies. If you're reading about this album you probably already know that Frank Black is the producer of this album. He's done a great job of catching their live sound. Second track DC Comics & Chocolate Milkshake is a simple tale of one of Eddies passions and features yet another great Art Brut lyric
"I'm in love with a girl in my comic shop
She's a girl that likes comics, she probably get's that a lot"
Another highlight is the most moving song they've done yet with Am I Normal? Which has a lyric Jarvis Cocker would be proud of. His tale of heartbreak is a slight update on the Emily Kane story and he delivers it beautifully, sounding so disheartened with his inability to talk to the girl he's chasing. The records best track is probably Demons Out! which is easily the angriest song they've released so far. It's one of the songs that makes me proud to call them one of my very favourite bands. Eddie describes this song as a rant against average bands that sell way to many albums. It maybe an easy song topic but he delivers it with such conviction, I think it comes across that he's incredibly passionate about music and Coldplay/U2 being really huge really baffles him. A lot of why I love this album is down to the lyrics but the band sound as tight as they did on the opening of Formed a Band back in 2004. Another worthy mention is for Summer Job which is such a simple affecting tune and lyric it's hard not to get caught up in the simple I hate my job story a lot of us can relate to. The album ends with Mysterious Bruises which is twice as long as anything they've put out. It's a strange note to end the album on with an almost funky bass line and an odd paranoid lyric about another drunken night out. I just don't get tired of this band and I know they're an acquired taste but I think they're a band to believe in. Art Brut Vs Satan is the sound of them becoming a real band and I hope that they continue to make albums that make me this excited about indie music when I think there isn't that much out there in that scene.

Slow Attack
Slow Attack

5.0 out of 5 stars A complete shock, 4 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Slow Attack (Audio CD)
I've been a Suede fan from the very early days and I've always felt a loyalty to Brett but my interest had really dwindled after the last two albums. The solo debut was an average set of songs with really weak production and Wilderness was better but really sounded like a bunch of demos. So reading about Brett's description of this album got me interested and I went to buy it on the first day of release. I put it on and it really took me by surprise, for a start it begins exactly like something from Talk Talk's Laughing Stock or Spirit Of Eden which is obviously no bad thing. Then his vocals start and he's never sounded so good, he sounds so delicate and graceful. The first track Hymn is stunning with a heart warming chorus and just the prettiest arrangement. I did wonder if the rest might disappoint as his last two albums both do have strong opening songs but it continues and actually remains for the rest of the album. There is not a bad moment on this record it flows and there's quite a few of the songs I want to hear again straight after they've finished. It's hard to pick out a highlight, maybe Summer's heartbreaking chorus? The Haunted is pretty amazing too.

One thing that is fairly criticized about Brett is his lack of variation on lyrical themes, well apart from the mention of London on the opening song gone are all the usual cliches. It sounds like he's discovered nature maybe in the same way Pulp did on We Love Life. It also sounds heavily influenced by late Talk Talk, David Sylvian and even a hint of Kate Bush. Some of the credit has to go Leo Abrahams who has come up with some beautiful arrangements but Brett has risen to the challenge on every song.

I really didn't see this coming and I'm so delighted that he's made this album. It's his best work in such a long time and by such a long way (OK the Tears album had some great moments) For the first time since 1996 I can say he's made one of the very best records of the year.

Bang Bang Rock & Roll
Bang Bang Rock & Roll
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the decade, 22 July 2008
This review is from: Bang Bang Rock & Roll (Audio CD)
In my opinion this is the greatest debut album of recent times maybe even the best since ABC's Lexicon Of Love. There's too many indie bands out there at the moment plodding along with nothing at all to say (Kooks, Pigeon Detectives, Zutons, Wombats) Some of these bands are so average it really hurts! So imagine how refreshing it is to hear a passionate debut full of great tunes with with great lyrics. It's fair to say that it may not be everyone's cup of tea this mainly down to the fact lead singer Eddie Argos has a unique voice. As he sings in Formed a band
"And yes this is my singing voice, it's not irony, it's not rock n roll" This pretty much sets up the rest of the album which over 12 tracks tells us of Eddie's struggles with girls (Emily Kane) his success with girls (Good Weekend) And generally not fitting it (Bad Weekend) The album is like a great film it's exciting, moving and very funny. Mostly of all it's the most quotable album in recent history.
"I've seen her naked twice!!"

This is an album I play every few days that has sadly been overlooked. Eddie should be seen as a great lyricist in the same vein as Jarvis or Morrissey and the band should be selling the amount of records that Kaiser Chiefs sell.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2009 10:36 AM BST