Profile for Terrence Carter > Reviews

Content by Terrence Carter

Terrence Carter "TerryC" (Loughton, Essex,UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Sabona Plain Copper Bracelet - Medium
Sabona Plain Copper Bracelet - Medium
Offered by StressNoMore

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Oct 2014
Plain and simple and at a fair price - no need to look elsewhere

Close to the Bone (Logan McRae, Book 8)
Close to the Bone (Logan McRae, Book 8)
by Stuart MacBride

1.0 out of 5 stars TERRYC, 22 Jan 2014
I always try to see the good in any book I read, and would never criticise for the sake of it. So, with great regret, I have to say this book was worse than anything I have come across. I struggled from page to page, hoping it might improve, but it got increasingly worse. By chapter 4 I gave up and finished the Telegraph crossword - the author started to talk about an area of high pressure from the east bringing rain - does high pressure bring rain? By then I couldn't care less, as the unbelievably disjointed action and gross dialogue and clumsy characterisation made me give up anyway. If ever a novel was unfit to be read, this was it. A grimly unsatisfactory experience, and I won't go anywhere near this author again.

A Wanted Man (Jack Reacher 17)
A Wanted Man (Jack Reacher 17)
by Lee Child

2.0 out of 5 stars Terry C, 27 Jun 2013
This was the first time I had difficulty finishing a Jack Reacher novel. After a dull, meandering start, I expected the usual fireworks to light up, but it simply didn't happen. After so many Reacher novels, you can forgive a dud, I suppose, but I hope Lee Child gets back on form next time, unless he's had enough, after the nonsense of the Tom Cruise film.

Colours of Corruption, The
Colours of Corruption, The
by Jacqueline Jacques

5.0 out of 5 stars Terry C, 5 May 2013
From the very beginning this book captures the grittiness of London's East End, but at the same time leaving the reader sympathetic to the characters, We are taken through the mean streets and led to a satisfying conclusion

LEGO Technic 9398: 4X4 Crawler
LEGO Technic 9398: 4X4 Crawler
Offered by Hair Skin Beauty

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrence Carter, 2 Jan 2013
Arrived on time, well packed and was exactly what was expected from Lego - no problems at all with it

The Quickie
The Quickie
by James Patterson

1.0 out of 5 stars TERRYC, 28 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Quickie (Paperback)
I came upon this one quite late, but I was sorry I did. I have to agree with the 1-star reviewers - far-fetched and really back to his worst. It all smacks of fast production line commercialism.

Private Games: (Private 3)
Private Games: (Private 3)
by James Patterson

1.0 out of 5 stars Terryc, 29 Aug 2012
This is one of James Patterson's poorest ever. Full of inaccuracies, and an opportunistic attempt to create a very poor plot, very hurriedly written and poorly researched, on the back of the Olympics. His collaborator's chapters, and you can mostly tell whose they are, are really poorly crafted.
It was a struggle to finish this book. Still, most of his are excellent reads, so I suppose you can forgive the odd rogue effort.

Glass Geishas
Glass Geishas
by Susanna Quinn

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrence C - ex-Tokyo resident, 17 July 2012
This review is from: Glass Geishas (Paperback)
This book is a massive a take-on. As an impression of Roppongi,Tokyo and Japan it is extremely superficial and the plot itself is dire. The author is trying to impress with her knowledge of Japan, and, to those who are totally unfamiliar with the country, she might appeal, but to expats who know it, she completely fails.

I have to confess, I was so irritated by her skimpy knowledge, her rather pathetic heroine, and the other badly described and unlikely characters, that I binned the book, having struggled to get half-way through. The dialogue is wooden, and the lack of anything approaching authenticity lamentable. Throwing in a few

occasional Japanese phrases couldn't save it from the recycling bin.

Sorry to knock any budding author, but this really is bilge.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2014 3:55 PM GMT

Inspector Morimoto and the Sushi Chef: A Detective Story set in Japan
Inspector Morimoto and the Sushi Chef: A Detective Story set in Japan
by Timothy Hemion

5.0 out of 5 stars Terryc, 6 Jun 2012
This, and Mr Hemion's other four books had a special interest for me, as I lived in Japan for years, and the places were very familiar. I found the Suzuki/Morimoto deductive processes fascinating, which more that compensated for the only slight physical action. Sometimes Mr Hemion used acronyms which would not convert from English to Japanese, or vice versa, as well as puns which also would not cross the language barrier. But that is nit-picking a bit - this and the others are really excellent reads, and it is a pity he stopped at number five. I live in hope for more Morimoto.

The Affair: A Jack Reacher Novel
The Affair: A Jack Reacher Novel
by Lee Child

5.0 out of 5 stars Terryc, 6 Jun 2012
A slightly slow burn at first, but then it really cuts the mustard, and is up there with his best. Lee Child is the best thriller writer in the business, bar none.

Page: 1 | 2