Profile for Shmeely > Reviews

Content by Shmeely

Shmeely (England)

Page: 1 | 2
Compound W maximum strength wart remover one step Invisible medicated strips - 14 ea

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Aug. 2014

Cemetery Junction [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Christian Cooke
Offered by b68solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Unfairly slated, 21 Feb. 2012
I agree with the other reviewer who said this movie has been harshly criticised on here. I think many people go into films with very fixed expectations - just because its a Ricky Gervais movie doesn't mean it's going to be just like his stand up or comedy series. I prefer this movies to all his other work. There are some usual Gervais jokes in here that can go pretty close to the mark. There are fewer laughs overall, but a lot more depth. The guys have a great rapport and their stories are dealt with sensitively. My favourite scene is at the insurance companies party, which the three guys attend - some great laughs - and a moment where an old retiring guy is given a glass bowl for many years of services, which is sort of heartbreaking and says so much. Snork is a brilliant character with a truly terrible tattoo and this guy Tom Hughes is surely a major film star of the future. A brilliant very brief cameo from Mr Merchant and look out for Karl Pilkington, blink and you might miss him. So overall the film has some very funny laddish elements, but is sentimental, sensitive, and life affirming.

Dead Man's Shoes [DVD] [2004]
Dead Man's Shoes [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Paddy Considine
Offered by Rikdev Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Revenge!, 20 Feb. 2012
This is the greatest revenge movie I have ever seen.
I will say a few more words about it after I have said this: Would people stop reviewing the service of Amazon and whether the dvd was in good condition, you are supposed to review the movies, and if you haven't seen it wait until you have.
Anyway, I just want to add to the positve reviews on here. It's bleak, melancholic, emotional, brutal and totally life affirming. You can really sense the depth of feeling of the main character - Paddy Considine is simply brilliant! The movie feels very British and the Northern backdrop really helps create a great atmosphere. It blew me away the first time I watched it, but it's not one for those who dont like any violence in their movies.

Chalet Girl [DVD]
Chalet Girl [DVD]
Dvd ~ Felicity Jones
Offered by MusicnMedia

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect too much from it., 20 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Chalet Girl [DVD] (DVD)
I've never written a negative review before. People who write lots of negative reviews must be a very poor judge of what they like. But I thought I would give this movie a watch, as the lead actress was good in Cemetry Junction and Bill Bailey is in it. In fact the best bit of the film is Bill Bailey licking a frozen Lasagne and he's not in it that much unfortunately. One other reviewer said this film was as delightful as The Princes Bride, or words to that affect. The Princess Bride is top class movie - this is not. It is totally predictable, cheesy and cringeworthy. One other reviewer said its puerile, thats a bit strong, but I can see where they are coming from. I would say it is a film for young girls with low expectations of their movies, looking for something not too taxing. The lead actress is good though, she has charisma and Bill Nighy is always good, but the lead guy overacts and is unlikeable. I realise I will probably get unhelpful ratings now, but I am trying to give a bit of balance as this is nowhere near a four and a half star movie, and people shouldn't expect too much from it even if it does have a few good actors in it.

The Boys Are Back [DVD]
The Boys Are Back [DVD]
Dvd ~ Clive Owen
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated, 29 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Boys Are Back [DVD] (DVD)
No reviews!
This is a brilliant film about a man and his son coming to terms with the death of a wife and mother - don't worry that is not a spoiler, it happens straight away. The two boys are very good actors - and the youngest very natural. The Australian setting is great - and there is just something very real and watchable about this film.
It's probably more geared towards the female audience, but I'm sure fathers or men of a more sensitive nature will enjoy it. I don't like reviews that explain to much of what happens in the films, and are too analytical so I will stop here. This is an uplifting, touching movie, with great touches of humour about relationships and loss - and is well shot and acted throughout.

Where The Wild Things Are [DVD] [2009]
Where The Wild Things Are [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Max Records
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 30 Jan. 2011
I have read this to many young classes in my previous life as a teacher and the book was never really that brilliant, it was for very young children and so had no depth to it - easily the best thing about it was the illustrations, and the children responded far more to these than the story. And how can anybody want a faithful reproduction of a book that would last about three minutes if turned into a film.

I can see why not everyone is going to like this film as it is different - I found this refreshing. It had a both magical and slightly haunting feel to it. Yes it is somewhat melancholic in parts but it does deal with many parts of childhood - the good and the bad. Childhood is a confusing time for a lot of children and this is portrayed well. Not all children are going to love this film, but it will hit a chord with many - not all of them want mindless cartoons - we underestimate children far too much. I like the way the wild things are childlike, so it feels like Max is going through issues that children would face at school with their friends and with their families - many scenes I have seen happen on a primary school playground.

It's not a fast paced all guns blazing kids film - it is thoughtful and at times slow moving, and it has really beautiful, original and fun moments. So if you know your children you should hopefully be able to work out if they are going to enjoy it - or maybe just try it on them - they may get more out of it than you think they would. I'd say its main themes are friendship, relationships and family. And adults can get a lot out of it too - as I did.

Paper Heart [DVD]
Paper Heart [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Cera

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best ever endings., 4 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Paper Heart [DVD] (DVD)
This made me laugh quite a bit. Fans of Indie films will enjoy this. Often tongue in cheek but also heartfelt. Caught it by chance on Sky Movies Indie and couldn't stop watching. The scene with the kids in the park was class and some of the interviews with the married couples were great. The ending reminded me of The Science of Sleep by Gondry.

Cardinology
Cardinology
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a chance!, 5 April 2010
This review is from: Cardinology (Audio CD)
I am very surprised by the one star reviews on here. This is never in a million years a one star album. It is a beautifully chilled and thoughtful album. I have all Ryan Adams albums and this is one of my favourites. This, like much of his work grows on you. Lots of people say Gold his best. But I found Gold to be a very immediate album with not as much depth and feeling as some of his others. As usual, the songs on this album are deep and emotive. And if you like Ryan Adams you will be delighted with it, but give it a chance if you don't love it immediately, I'm sure you will eventually.

Garden State [DVD]
Garden State [DVD]
Dvd ~ Zach Braff
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Poor little Jelly. Brilliant film though., 18 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Garden State [DVD] (DVD)
It appears we have another marmite film from looking at the reviews on here. I could have guessed though: I watched this sometime ago with an ex-girlfriend - she hated and I loved it.

If you like action packed films that don't give you time to think, you won't like this. It's a plotless, slow moving, independent film all about people. It's unusual, subtle with original moments and it gets better every time I see it. The soundtrack is fantastic (probably my favourite ever) and the dialogue is funny and clever. And I really loved the Natalie Portman character, I think I actually fell in love with her the first time I watched it.

If you like unusual indie films then you will probably love this film as much I did.

This review may not be that impressive but `I'm okay with being unimpressive. I sleep better.'

Page: 1 | 2