ARRAY(0x9d26aa14)

Dazman

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Toshiba SD390EKB Upscaling DVD Player
Toshiba SD390EKB Upscaling DVD Player

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but not perfect with multi region DVD capability, 27 Oct 2009
Straight off I'd like to make it clear that at present I'm not using this DVD player with a HD television so I can't rate the picture quality in HD mode.

I own 2 other makes of multi-region capable DVD players and after compairing them all here are my postives and negatives to this particular DVD player.

Positives:-

1) You can open and close the disc tray via the remote control.
2) You can time search, although you have to arrow down once you select this option and key in the time/scene that you wish to jump to.
3) Fast forward by up to 100 times normal speed which is easily the fastest I've seen.

In addition you have the more basic commands like the standby function, menu, setup, reverse, forward, previous scene, next scene, paus/play button, repeat, slow, a-b, slow motion, subtitle, angle, audio, zoom, random, programme, four arrow keys for direction, plus the HDMI button too.

Negatives:-

1) The biggest problem for me is the fact that the display only shows which chapter you're on and does NOT show the time elapsed/remaining on the display itself.
2) Using the display button it shows you how much time has elapsed and how much remains of the film/cd that you're playing, but for some reason rather than coming up at the bottom or top of the screen it's been placed pretty well in the middle and although it's pretty transparant it does impead the view of the film and covers 20-25% of the entire screen space.

So on the whole a good solid DVD player that could so easily have been great with just a bit more attention to detail 8 1/2 out of 10.

A Hole In My Heart [DVD]
A Hole In My Heart [DVD]
Dvd ~ Thorsten Flinck
Offered by FilmloverUK

3.0 out of 5 stars 4 Stars for the first hour, 2 stars for the last half an hour., 4 Aug 2009
This review is from: A Hole In My Heart [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this film in 2 parts the first hour late at night then the last half an hour the next morning.

I was impressed with most of the first part, it was very different (to say the least!!!) and a bit inventive here and there.

The last half hour though was a real mish-mash as the director/writer appeared to be running out of ideas and fast. If this had been an hour and 15/20 minutes this would have got 4 stars from me.

It becomes clear that the director sets out to disgust at least some of the audience by showing a man being (apparently) sick into the open mouth of the only female in the cast and the said male urinating into a glass and yes you do literally see all of this happen.

Showing pictures of various operations being performed, lots of full nudity, food being stuffed into the womans mouth until it was overflowing, a man rinsing his mouth out with washing up liquid, whilst these things (with the exception of the nudity) cover a very small amount of time some of these at least are pretty disgusting things to watch and most of this should never have been included in the first place.

Due to the ideas running dry the director has come up with the idea to shock and disgust the viewer/s, as opposed to making a good a real film.

7/10 for the first hour, 3/10 for the last half hour, just scrapes 6 out of ten for me.

Amores Perros [DVD] [2001]
Amores Perros [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Emilio Echevarrķa
Offered by TwoRedSevens

5.0 out of 5 stars In a word brilliant, but beware any dog lovers!!!, 29 July 2009
This review is from: Amores Perros [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
If you don't mind seeing dog fights and love watching multi-layered films that concentrate on character building first and foremost then I'm sure you'll love this film.

Trying to write a plotline would take ages, purely and simply because there's just so much going on and we look at so many lives and way in which these characters interact with one another, this film is directed by the same person that made both Babel and 21 Grams, but if you thought that one/both of these have alot going on, then it's nothing compared to this film, add those two together and double it and you may just be there!!!

Simply put it's like a giant jigsaw puzzle being put together piece by piece and gradually the director reveals a new and exciting part of the puzzle and I can honestly say that it could well be THE best direction and editing I've ever seen in a film and I don't say that lightly to say the least.

All of the performances are spot on, all of the stories are interesting, the timeline in the film does go back and forth, but at no point was I confused, if anything if made the film even better trying to work out how this and that fits in the the rest of the film.

I can't deny that I was riveted to this film,this has to be one of the very best foreign language (Spanish) that I've had the pleasure in watching, maybe even THE best and if you don't mind watching a few dog fighting scenes at the start of the film then this is very highly recommended.

Brotherhood [DVD]
Brotherhood [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dong-Kun Jang
Offered by Jasuli

5.0 out of 5 stars A great film and a true story too!!!, 3 July 2009
This review is from: Brotherhood [DVD] (DVD)
This is the very first Korean film I've ever seen and if this is anything to go by then I'll be looking for more.

I not only thought that this was a great film, but I can honestly say that I too think that it's the best I've ever seen and yes I've got films like Patton, Hamburger Hill, Saving Private Ryan etc etc.

I can not believe that a film based on a true story can have someone turn around and say that it's cliched or that they've seen it all before, if that's what happened then how else are you supposed to depict it?, make it up?, some people are so stupid it's unbelievable!!!

Right that's that out of my system back to the film, it's called brotherhood as the film follows 2 Korean brothers who due to their ages are forced to join the Korean army fighting for what is now South Korea.

The film is set over 3 periods of time, just before war broke out, present day and wartime itself.

I was very impressed with the acting of the 2 male leads, the cinematography and the various ways that you see the soldiers get killed/maimed, it's all very realistic and has a great and very human was of telling the story of the bothers.

This is a very real war film in every sense showing you the quiet times, conflict between the sides both verbally and physically, it depicts the struggle of friends and family who find themselves through no fault of their own literally fighting against one another.

I could not recommend this enough I knew I'd like the film after watching a trailer, but I next thought that it would be as good as this, I'm very pleased to say money very well spent!!!

Living It Up [DVD] [2002]
Living It Up [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Salma Hayek
Offered by Discs4all

2.0 out of 5 stars Very promising start, but it's pretty well downhill from there onwards, 2 July 2009
This review is from: Living It Up [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
I've always liked Salma Hayek and I'd never seen nor heard of male lead Carmelo Gomez before, this is very much his film and it takes sometime before we even get to see Salma Hayek.

Carmelo Gomez plays the part of a bus driver who through various circumstances ends up borrowing a million dollars from the mafia and decides to go on a huge spending spree living it up like there's no tomorrow, throwing parties and generally living the high life.

Pretty much from the point of borrowing the money onwards the film starts to get silly, it's hard to believe what's going on as Carmelo Gomez goes from being a likeable character as a bus driver turns into a stupid arrogant fool who only shows glimpses of his former self for the rest of the film.

When she's in it Salma Hayek is effective enough, but the actors are basically given a second rate script that's low on laughs, in fact I can honestly say it's one I smiled at every now and then as opposed to laughing out loud,rather than being what should have been a really fun film ends up stuttering along until a nice ending, but it's not enough to save this second rate film, okay, but that's as good as it got for me.

He Loves Me... He Loves Me Not [DVD] [2002]
He Loves Me... He Loves Me Not [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Audrey Tautou
Offered by RX dvds **international shipping**

5.0 out of 5 stars If at first you don't believe try and try again, 28 Jun 2009
First off I'd just like to make it clear that until very recently, 2-3 days ago to be more precise I only had 5 non-English speaking films,the reason is that I like to be doing other thing whilst watching a film as opposed to sitting down and paying total attention to reading subtitles.

I did not know it until yesterday, but I do have one other Audrey Tautou film (A very long engagement), which is well worth checking out, I was very impressed with her performance in both of these films.

I thought that this was a very well made and stylish film, with some very clever twists and as others have pointed out all is not what it first appears to be and for me that's the very reason to watch this film once if nothing else, though I'll be doing that much more than that.

For me it has a film noir feel to it the way it sets itself out and reveals the whole story to you through the eyes of various characters, it does jump about a bit a terms of time frame, but it's easy enough to follow without getting confused.

It's not a story that I'll anything more about as I'd hate to give any clues away, but that revelation at the end when a piece of furniture is moved was a wonderful touch,I don't think that the French are too high on sequels, but there's certainly scope for one, it'll be good if there's not one though as you can use your imagination to guess what will happen next.

Highly recommended!!!

An Unfinished Life [DVD]
An Unfinished Life [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Redford
Offered by RX dvds **international shipping**

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent film with an excellent cast, both young and old, 20 Jun 2009
This review is from: An Unfinished Life [DVD] (DVD)
I'm shocked that this film has not been released in the UK earlier, I managed to pick up an ex-rental copy of this on DVD a while ago, after viewing the trailer I knew I'd like the film,I was wrong though I love it, it's the kind of film I can only describe as beautiful.

The setting/landscape are perfect, you've a great cast including Robert Redford, Morgan Freeman, Jennifer Lopez, Josh Lucas and a very talented newcomer (to me at least) Camryn Manheim who plays the daughter of Jennifer Lopez.

It's made by the same director that made Casanova (which I've not seen), Chocolat and The Cider house rules, both of which is are wonderful films.

From the opening credits to the start of the end credits it runs at 98 minutes long, which leads me to my one and only criticism of this film, I wish it were longer, 2 hours plus would have been fine with me.

The following is what's written on the back of the DVD itself:-

Director Lasse Hallstrom delivers Hollywood legend Robert Redford and an incredible all-star cast in a powerful story where a broken family learns the only thing harder than holding on is letting go of the past, Einar (Redford) lives quietly alongside his trusted friend (Morgan Freeman) until the woman (Jennifer Lopez) he blames for his only childs death arrives at his door broke, desperate and with a granddaughter he's never met.

But even as buried anger and accusations resurface, the way is opened for unexpected connection, adventure, mercy and true reunion.

Reading that I guess it sounds a bit of a hard slog, but there's plenty of other things going on in the film together with some good light hearted moments too, Ive just purchased my second copy of this film so I have a brand new copy to go with my ex-rental, it's the kind of film I could watch and once finished go back and watch it all over again,that's how much I love it.

Whales of August [DVD] [1987] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Whales of August [DVD] [1987] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Bette Davis
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful.......just beautiful, 8 May 2009
This film marks the end of an era for 3 of the main actors in this film, although Bette Davis did appear in one more film this was apparently her last film that she was to complete. This was to be the last film that both Lillian Gish, who looked great for for her age (92/93 at the time) and Ann Southern who was 78 at the time and also looked great for her age.

There's also fine support from Vincent Price.

This is primarily about 2 elderly sisters (Bette and Lillian) who are both coming to the end of their long lives, they are both widows who have lived at their seaside cottage for the past 50 years, whilst one sister wants to embrace new and exciting things in life, the other is bitter and unwilling to embrace change.

Over the course of the film they begin to get closer to eachother and embrace their lives together, for now and the future.

This is a film with a good and strong heart, it's warm and easy going and is a joy to watch a group of legendary actors doing what they always did best, the last few shots in particular are very subtle and moving, as the screen fades to black so too do the two main characters long and successful careers and their lives.

The Covenant [DVD] [2007]
The Covenant [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Steven Strait
Offered by Jasuli

4.0 out of 5 stars A well put together film that looks and feels really good too, 6 May 2009
This review is from: The Covenant [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I love the realism to this film it not only feels good to watch, but all the special effects are spot on too they look great.

The storyline is a pretty simple and straight forward one, there's a group of friends who are bound not just by friendship, but by a covenant, they all have various levels of supernatural powers, add to this a former member of this covenant who after some time away from this town and intends to take their revenge on the covenant for their past acts toward his family.

Unlike some people who can't help but compare this film to that, that film to this I much prefer to take each film as it comes and mark them purely on the film itself, this is not the greatest film you'll ever see for this genre on any other, but I for one really enjoyed this film.

Good music and a film that does not outstay it's welcome, good pace and good acting, plus for those that care it's got some really good eye candy for the guys and the girls.

James Stewart Silver Screen Collection [DVD]
James Stewart Silver Screen Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Stewart

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard to rate Made for each other due to poor sound quality!!!, 1 May 2009
I've just finished watching this film, unfortunately due to the very poor sound quality it's hard to say for sure just how good or not Made for each other is,it's certainly watchable, but when you consider you've got James Stewart, Carole Lombard and Charles Coburn in this film this really should have been so much better than it is.

It has some good humour and the storyline is okay, but having purchased alot of films starring these three very talented actors I can't help but be even more disappointed that this film is not better, without a doubt a very disappointing film and the only film that I've seen of theirs that I'd give anything below 4 stars.

I had to have my stereo 40-50% louder than normal in order to have any chance of hearing the dialogue and even then I struggled to hear some of what was being said, if you're going to sell a film here's an idea make sure that the picture and sound quality is good, if it's not then don't sell it, that way it'll force the makers of these DVD's to ensure better quality of the goods they sell.

Lets hope that Pot O'Gold is better than this in more ways than one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10