Profile for H. O'Sullivan > Reviews

Content by H. O'Sullivan

H. O'Sullivan (Co. Kerry, Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
In My Own Words: The Autobiography
In My Own Words: The Autobiography
by Paul Galvin

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 8 Jan. 2015
I guess I should firstly declare my interest and bias in Paul Galvin, given that I'm a firm Kerry football supporter. I bought this book as I have so many GAA books before, expecting to be treated to tales from within the team and to hear Paul's side of the stories behind some of the more controversial episodes in his career as a player. I got that and so much more. Even a non-football fan is bound to be impressed by the fact that this book is Paul's very own - no ghost writer needed here, thank you very much. I shouldn't be too surprised given Paul's training as a teacher and his word based work post-GAA. As someone who reads a lot I must emphasise, however: What a well written, well structured read! I found it thoroughly enjoyable from a language point of view alone, and found its contents immensely engaging. Highly recommended!

Dead Long Enough [DVD]
Dead Long Enough [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Sheen

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 8 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Dead Long Enough [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this DVD as Douglas Henshall is part of the cast of this film. I had never heard of it before but had high hopes as I always enjoy a well-made Irish comedy. I found the film thoroughly enjoyable. Its engaging storyline, Michael Sheen's second-to-none performance as the ridiculous showman, and the strong supporting cast made for a lovely movie experience. What a pity this film is not better known and loved.

Bernard & The Genie [DVD] [1991] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Bernard & The Genie [DVD] [1991] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Lenny Henry
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

4.0 out of 5 stars The only reason I'm only giving four out of five stars is that the DVD features such bad image quality, 14 Dec. 2014
I have to admit, I'm totally biased towards this movie as it is one of my all time favourites. The only reason I'm only giving four out of five stars is that the DVD features such bad image quality, I might as well be watching my twenty year old VHS recording which this DVD is supposed to replace in my collection. Other than that, if you like a really good Christmas movie, do go ahead and buy this one.

WOMENS BRIDAL WEDDING CLASSIC PUMPS MID LOW PLATFORM HEELS LADIES SATIN PROM PARTY COURT SHOES SIZE 3 4 5 6 7 8
Offered by Fashion-Footwear

5.0 out of 5 stars A great day out, 29 Sept. 2014
I bought these shoes as part of an outfit to wear at someone else's wedding. When I buy heeled dress shoes, I always buy them one size up, then put gel and heel cushions and heel shields from the Scholl Party Feet range into each shoe. Not only can I then wear the shoes for ever without my feet aching or getting tired, the shoes are then also the perfect fit. So equipped, I wore the shoes from 11 a.m. until 2 a.m., and not a spot of bother (literally).
These shoes are also very pretty to look at and several women asked where I had got them. In addition, the shoes are very safe to walk in; I had no wobbly moment, not on tiles, linoleum tiles nor the dance floor. The manufacturers had also provided a spare set of heel tips which I found very thoughtful.
I would have no hesitation whatsoever to buy the same shoes again and if they came in a wider range of colours, I would definitely stock up on them.

Zarla New Women Pleated Satin Diamante Clutch Bridal Party Prom Ladies Evening Bags UK Ivory
Offered by Zarla Uk

3.0 out of 5 stars and I should therefore probably not complain that it looks and feels (and sounds) like a cardboard box covered with a slightly p, 22 Sept. 2014
I ordered this bag for an upcoming wedding and was looking for something cheap and cheerful to match my shoes. Cheap this bag was, and I should therefore probably not complain that it looks and feels (and sounds) like a cardboard box covered with a slightly padded layer of satin-type material.

On the outside, where the material folds, cardboard-y crinkles are already evident; on the inside, the glue used to attach the
fabric to the casing with, is very obvious. I meant to attach photos to this review, but that function seems no longer available.

Basically, this bag will do fine for one or two occasions. I can't see it physically last any longer than that.

Sherlock Holmes for the 21st Century: Essays on New Adaptations
Sherlock Holmes for the 21st Century: Essays on New Adaptations
by Lynnette Porter

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but very expensive, 31 May 2014
As a BBC Sherlock fan, I was interested in several of the essays featured in this collection most of which were quite interesting. Whilst I don't regret having purchased the book and will definitely keep it, I do find it very, very expensive at just over 200 pages, in paperback format.

Snug Safe n Sound Kids Ear Defenders / Hearing Protectors - 5 YEAR WARRANTY - (Aqua Blue)
Offered by iHeadphones UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 18 April 2014
I had bought these kids' ear defenders as we were expecting townie visitors on our dairy farm, and my friends' five year old son was keen to 'help' milking the cows and travel on our tractor. The sound of the milking machine and the tractor's engine are quite noisy and I thought, it would be best to have these ear defenders ready for him. I found them a great purchase. They did the job well and fitted the small head perfectly.

Notting Hell
Notting Hell
by Rachel Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Notting Hell (Paperback)
I don't often read chick-lit but was looking for a light read and found this book in our local charity shop. Having just finished reading it, I found it thoroughly enjoyable. For me, the old cliche of "unputdownable" very much applied to Notting Hell, surprising me no end. I found the book very funny, mercilessly observant und endearingly bitchy for all the right reasons. I will now be hunting for its sequel, Shire Hell.

Island Summers: Memories of a Norwegian Childhood
Island Summers: Memories of a Norwegian Childhood
by Tilly Culme-Seymour

3.0 out of 5 stars Failed to connect, 14 April 2014
I had read very favourable reviews of this book and was looking forward to receiving my copy. Unfortunately, I entirely failed to connect with any of the people this book is about, and the island stories depicted therein. To my surprise, I found the description of the various people and events strangely detached, pale, somewhat lifeless. I certainly didn't find myself drawn into the story, neither "captivated" nor "enchanted", as the blurb had promised. The author's language throughout struck me as peculiarly removed, even impersonal. I had the impression that the book had been written by an impassive outsider, instead of a family member, having experienced these island summers. I was astonished at how disappointed I was with my purchase.

Sherlock and Transmedia Fandom: Essays on the BBC Series
Sherlock and Transmedia Fandom: Essays on the BBC Series
by Louisa Ellen Stein

4.0 out of 5 stars This is serious stuff, 5 Feb. 2014
As there is no content description given for this book, here's the blurb from the back cover:
"The critically-acclaimed BBC television series 'Sherlock' (2010-) re-envisions Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's detective for the digital age, joining participants in the active traditions of Sherlockians/Holmesians and fans from other communities, including science fiction, media, and anime. This collection explores the cultural intersections and fan traditions that converge in 'Sherlock' and its fandoms. Essays focus on the industrial and cultural contexts of 'Sherlock's' critical and popular reception. The volume's multiple perspectives examine Sherlock Holmes as an international transmedia figure with continued cultural impact, offering insight into not only the BBC series itself, but also into its literary source, and with it, the international resonance of the Victorian detective and his sidekick.
Louisa Ellen Stein is an assistant professor of film and media culture at Middlebury College in Vermont. She has written previously on contemporary media culture, including film, television, the Internet and video games.
Kristina Busse teaches at the University of South Alabama and has published a variety of essays on fan fiction and fan culture."

Similar to Lynnette Porter's excellent book 'Benedict Cumberbatch: In Transition', 'Sherlock and Transmedia Fandom' is not a quick read aimed at Sherlock fan girls and boys. This collection of essays is a serious piece of work, written in the style of scientific papers or (albeit individually brief) thesis. Content and vocabulary are mentally demanding, so don't expect this to be lunchtime or a-couple-of-pages-before-bedtime reading.

I found the various essays in this book interesting, well researched and well balanced, with one notable exception: Balaka Basu's unfortunate essay entitled 'Sherlock and the (Re)Invention of Modernity'. Amongst the other essays included in this volume which are well informed and neutral in content and tone, Basu's contribution lets the book down with its almost antagonistic tone, sometimes inappropriate language, and clear lack of understanding of certain characters' motivations. Given the high standard of the other essays chosen for this publication, I'm surprised at Basu's essay's inclusion in this book.

In closing, I wish to comment on a certain 'handicap' this book is subject to, i.e., that its essays were produced after Series One of 'Sherlock', thereby robbing their authors of a deeper understanding of the main characters as enabled by observing their further development in Series 2 and, certainly, 3. This is not intended as criticism, merely an observation.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7