Profile for FabDan > Reviews

Tanglewreck
Tanglewreck
by Jeanette Winterson

3.0 out of 5 stars Time and its sickening crimes, 4 July 2008
This review is from: Tanglewreck (Hardcover)
I read Tanglewreck a few months ago so I don't actually remember it much. Not because it's a bad book, rather because I'm getting old and memory's not what it used to be. Besides, my knowledge of the English language is getting scanty since I left England ages and ages ago and I have a one-way mind so now I think and speak mostly Italian.
I didn't mind Tanglewreck. It's ok. I like the Jeanette Winterson bits, for instance the diabolic rabbit. I didn't like the `it must be like this' bits. Silver is your usual heroine. She's special and has special parents like most of the heroes and heroines of current books for children have. And she's looking for signs and stuff like most of the heroes and heroines of books for children do. So they can save the world. It's a bit disturbing for parents. We end up wondering why our children don't ask us questions about the fourth law of thermodynamics instead of asking us what's for dinner.
My favourite children's book is Tom's Midnight Garden because Tom is as perplexed at what is happening to him as any other child would be. His mother and father are common-place and worry about measles and the trouble they are causing to their relatives, just like my mum and dad. The topic is still Time, with a capital letter, and its heart-breaking rules and laws and how it makes us feel sad and excited at the same time. But Tom could be my son while Silver could never be my daughter. I know that stories can't be the same as us. If I told you what my son and daughter did in a book you would probably throw it in the bin for separate paper waste disposal (we've got them in Italy...don't know if you've got them England) after a few pages. But do these children stories have to be so sopra le righe, which is to say slightly exaggerated.
Dunno....still looking out for a straightforward story for children, not straightforward in the meaning of boring but....you know.