Profile for The Northumberland Naturalist > Reviews

Content by The Northumber...

The Northumberland Naturalist

Vax U88-AM-B Air³ Multi-Cyclonic Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Vax U88-AM-B Air³ Multi-Cyclonic Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars This cleaner is great, 16 Jun 2014
A friend recommended this cleaner and as I wanted a lighter replacement for my original Dyson, I decided to to go ahead and buy it. I like it very much. It is very light weight and low enough at the front to get under some of my furniture (bed-side cabinets and chest of drawers) which is very useful. It is very easy to empty straight into my kitchen bin and easy too to take apart and clean entirely, following the manufacturers instructions. It has great suction on carpets and very phenomenal suction on my vinyl-covered kitchen floor. It cleans very close to the skirting boards. I have used the cleaner four or five times since delivery and can't fault the it at all. I bought an extension hose to help with cleaning my stairs and a 32mm turbo tool which I am also pleased with. I feel happy to recommend the Vax Air3.

Minky Trio Concertina Tubular Clothes Airer, Silver
Minky Trio Concertina Tubular Clothes Airer, Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 30 May 2014
Excellent quality. I am very pleased with the drier. I puts up and down easily and holds lots of washing

Picture Chord Encyclopedia Gtr
Picture Chord Encyclopedia Gtr
by Various

5.0 out of 5 stars Suits my needs perfectly, 3 Jun 2013
I wanted a book which provided individual chords at various positions on the finger board. This book does exactly that and I am pleased with it

G7th Performance Capo for 6-String Electric/Acoustic Guitar
G7th Performance Capo for 6-String Electric/Acoustic Guitar
Offered by Appods

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 15 May 2013
I am delighted with the G7th Performance Capo. It is simple to use and beautifully engineered. While more expensive than other models, I think it is more than worth the the extra cost.

Melamine Pasta Bowl 22cm White
Melamine Pasta Bowl 22cm White

5.0 out of 5 stars Melamine Bowls, 19 Dec 2011
These are lovely bowls and most people will be delighted with them but they are not exactly the shade of white I would have preferred. I have a set of melamine picnic ware (white base with flower pattern) and wanted to add a couple of soup-cum-pasta bowls to the set for use in my camper van. These bowls will do me fine but I would have preferred them to be a shade of white nearer to the base colour of my existing melamine ware. None-the-less, I do like them and they seem good quality and well made hence the five-star score.

England (Lonely Planet Country Guides)
England (Lonely Planet Country Guides)
by David Else

2.0 out of 5 stars Not much use to me, 15 Aug 2011
I've used both Rough Guides and Michelin guides over the years and of the two, found the Rough Guides suited me very well (my Morocco Rough Guide and my Paris Rough Guide have both been loved to death during numerous visits). This said, I can't explain why I chose this Lonely Planet England over other titles available, but on receiving it and thumbing it through I would have to agree with an earlier reviewer who says that England is probably too big a country for one guide book.

Now some years into my retirement, I had thought that I might try a little travelling in the UK, to places I've not visited before, and see if I could travel on public buses using my free Over 60's travel pass wherever possible. Even looking at places I know well, particularly in my home county of Northumberland, and in Derbyshire, the Cotswolds and East Anglia, I found this Lonely Planet guide very inadequate for my proposed needs (although it did contain some information in the 'Getting there and away' sections about public bus services into, out of and around places I was interested in visiting).

Focus in on a destination and there is often only a short paragraph about the place or attraction and there's a miserly eight pages of hardly representative colour photographs for the whole country (along with a splattering of other colour illustrations). Maybe it's my age, but I didn't like the style of writing very much either and, as a prospective independent traveller on not a great budget, I would have also liked to know more about reasonably priced overnight accommodation, not £95-a-night hotels).

I don't want to say "don't buy this guide", it might well suit YOU, but I do feel that if Michael Portillo had used Lonely Planet England on his television travels, rather than his ancient Bradshaw, I don't think he would have got very far or entertained his viewers half as much. For me, it's just a big book to carry about in hand luggage for very little informational return so I'm sorry to say it's going to be returned as soon as possible.

Velbon Ultra Maxi L Tripod
Velbon Ultra Maxi L Tripod

5.0 out of 5 stars What a lovely tripod, 8 Nov 2010
I have been looking for a new tripod for some time and really didn't know what to buy. I decided on this model, mainly because 1) the price was good, 2) it is very light weight (as a sixty-something retired lady I don't want to carry lots of heavy equipment about the countryside) and 3) it has the facility to stand only 6" off the ground, ideal for photographing flowers and fungi. I use a Panasonic Lumix FZ28 and am planning to buy an FZ100 in the near future. The tripod is ideally suited to either of these cameras and I think it will also be a perfect companion for my Nikon ED50 fieldscope when I get around to trying the two together. Though lightweight at just over 1kg, the tripod is exceptionally well made. The three-way head is excellent and an added bonus was the inclusion of a carry-bag, a welcome surprise when I opened the box.