Profile for Adam Cranfield > Reviews

James Brown's Funky People
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 8.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless!, 12 Oct 2003
A sample source of unrivalled importance in dance music culture? Yep.
And an awesome collection of soul-funk nuggets.
Go get it!

Another Late Night: Zero 7
Another Late Night: Zero 7
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 15.11

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars and then some..., 26 Mar 2003
Perfect. Awesome. Inspirational. Phenomenal. My life is better for owning this mix. (And when you've got this, check out the hot ones from Groove Armada and Rae & Christian too...) Thank God we have vinyl junkies like these to educate us all. Message to Zero 7: when will you be delivering the next lesson?

The Secret Tapes of Doctor Eich
The Secret Tapes of Doctor Eich
Offered by sdiscs
Price: 32.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Share this secret..., 26 Mar 2003
Slightly weird in places, very funky in places -- Carl Craig has crafted a compelling album here. The man has a great ear for a an off-kilter loop. Truly dancefloor, but truly innovative too. Oscillator is a chugging, lo-fi analogue groove that grows with repeated listens. Paperclip Man might be a tad self-indulgent for some, but Carl never compromises in his quest for atmospheric vibes. Throw is a legendary bouncy track which was rightly picked out by Danny Rampling on one of his comps. The Climax kicks harder but still retains that intriguing melodic feel that Carl loves so much. Clear and Present is moving with its emotional washes and insistent, deep baseline. More funky minimalism follows with Floor. Steam is a very chilled groove, which urges you to "Let off steam". Country Boy Goes Dub has a bonkers and fairly irrelevant title! On Slam Dance and Parking Garage Politics, Carl shows off his techno side a bit more. In summary: an inventive, non-conformist piece of techno-house tomfoolery.

Patrick Forge: PF02
Patrick Forge: PF02
Offered by themusicmerchant
Price: 12.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Forge a way ahead, 28 Feb 2003
This review is from: Patrick Forge: PF02 (Audio CD)
Another top mix from PF. Opening with the proud bass-n-strings stomp of Betcha, we move into a very retro rare groove track, The Dance -- hand-clap-tastic mate!
A bit of broken-beatery next from a Japanese bloke -- the airy vocals on this one are nice and sweet. A wicked little trumpet pops up on the next track from Poyo. Sexy Latin keys keep you nodding.
Next we cruise the latin-swing house highway with Gigi. More evocative vocals here. The main vibe of the mix is that broken beat/latin/house fusion. All the textures are rich and satisfying. It's a strong sound -- no wishy-washy fake latin gear here. Check the Vikter Duplaix mix album if you dig this sound.
I have withheld the 5th star only because, perhaps, there is a lack of a truly unforgettable tune. But that isn't to take anything away from the mix as a whole. It's lovely stuff from the beginning to the Cleveland Watkiss-MC'd Brazil-n-bass finale.

Miss Moneypenny Presents
Miss Moneypenny Presents

5.0 out of 5 stars Let the good times roll, 24 Jan 2003
This mix is magnificent. CD 1 is warm, funky housiness with tunes galore. CD 2 is some nu-school rare-groove bizness. Every track is a belter. Just buy it! And get yourself down Norman Jay's Good Times sound system at the Notting Hill Carnival! Proper songs and mega tunes to the fore. Love it.

Globetrotting
Globetrotting
Offered by msales-8
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars One for the clubheads, 23 Jan 2003
This review is from: Globetrotting (Audio CD)
Admittedly I might not be the best person to judge this album, since I'm not a fan of hard techno. However, I loved some of the tracks on Angel's Tales Of The Unexpected album, so I'm writing this to point out the contrast between the two!
The album starts off promisingly with a very quirky piece of dialogue from a film that I'm sure I should know, but don't.
After this intro track, we're off with the nice n bumpy, clean-cut funk of Philly Bluntz. I'd love this in a club.
However, the next 8 tracks I wouldn't much like in a club, or anywhere. Ok, that's a little unfair, there are some good bits -- the jazz-jungle-techno (trust me, it's a good term) of K Road NZ is pretty hot.
This Is Disco, well, isn't. It's noisy though! (I'll get me cup of cocoa now.)
Tokyo Stealth Fighter is a robo-stomping track that could be what the Transformers (remember that cartoon?) dance to in their local Ritzy. (Ok, I'll get my coat...)
Liquid Rooms, ah, that's more my cup of tea (or cocoa) -- deeper. Maybe I shouldn't write off this album yet. It's not that memorable though. Angel seems to have lost the melodic touch he had on Tales Of The Unexpected.
Too much stomp, stomp, stomp.
Mmmm, cocoa...

Tales of the Unexpected
Tales of the Unexpected

4.0 out of 5 stars Thinking outside the techno box, 23 Jan 2003
This review is from: Tales of the Unexpected (Vinyl)
This album was rated as one of the albums of the year in Muzik magazine in 1995. It kicks off with Arabian Nights and the sample "Hi, my name is Hal 9000, I was invented in 1992, my teacher taught me a song, would you like to hear it?" taken from Kubrick's "2001". This is a genius sample, because it sums up the feeling of the track and the album: it's as if the music has been conjured up by some kind of organic mechanical genius. The way Arabian Nights develops is so original that you could believe only a supercomputer could have thought outside the box in this way.
Angel is a true musician, not a DJ pretender. He mixes jazziness and disco themes, yet manages to make it all sound unique. This is largely because he doesn't use many samples, prefering to create his own warm keyboard soundscapes and skittering drum patterns.
The first 4 tracks are superb, the cooly groovy Big Tight Flares, the future-scat of Scatman, and Timeless with its melancholy vocal sample. But track 5 is significantly harder and simpler -- one for the real technoheads (which ain't me!) Tracks 6, 7 and 8 are also more club-focused, nice, but again a bit too hard for me. Track 9 goes all warm and sweet again, taking the tempo right down. Track 10 is abstract percussive jazziness.
So it's a strange but beautiful album. Angel is great when he drifts into deeper, cooler waters (tracks 1 - 4 and 9). But the geezer clearly loves his hard techno. I found with his next album, Globetrotting, that he had mainly gone for the hard stuff, so I wasn't such a fan.
There's a lot of substance to Angel's work. Check it out.

Done By the Forces of Nature
Done By the Forces of Nature

5.0 out of 5 stars When hip-hop was pure fun, 25 Dec 2002
Back in the days when kids liked rap cos they could learn the lyrics and the music was wild and fun and creative... the JBs! Tribe Called Quest, De La, Run DMC! I have this album on tape and I want it on CD. The Amazon reviewer for "Straight Out the Jungle" is correct to big-up "I'll house you" (classic!) and "Because I got it like that" (old skool!), but wrong to overlook their second album. "Feeling alright" sums up the happy JBs vibe on this album. "What U waitin' 4" is a stomping party track. "U make me sweat" is dirrrty funnkeee. "Belly dancin' Dina" - boy you shoulda seen her! "In dayz 2 come" is superb. "Doin' our own dang" has Monie Love -- retro teenage fun!
Do I only like this cos I had it when I was 15? Possibly. But the JBs had a unique sound that always made me think of a New York block party relocated to a remote island in the West Indies. The samples on this album are so soulful and funky. I'm sure they've put some Salsoul classics in the mix, but I'll have to check the sleeve notes. Back then, JBs definitely had it going on. (Note: this music doesn't sound like hip-hop today, so it might make a refreshing change)

Peace Beyond Passion
Peace Beyond Passion
Price: 5.81

5.0 out of 5 stars This album is legendary, 21 Dec 2002
This review is from: Peace Beyond Passion (Audio CD)
This is the Me'shell album you have to own! I bought it back when it came out and it still sounds so good. Nu-soul was doing very well back in the mid-late 90s, with superb albums from Maxwell and Erykah Badu. Like those albums, this one is a definite classic soul/funk album. Me'shell's first big record was "Diggin you (like an old school record)", which was great, but she took things to new levels on "Peace Beyond Passion". Every track is so strong! Energy and passion courses through the veins of this album. Whether fast or slow, bitter or sweet, Me'shell excites. She went off the boil on "Bitter", but having seen her do a storming gig at the Jazz Cafe recently I think she might have returned to form on her latest album -- only one way to find out, better get that credit card...

Testimony
Testimony
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A nu-soul gem, 21 Dec 2002
This review is from: Testimony (Audio CD)
I've had this album for about 5 years and I still love it. The single "Lovely" was given a funky, bumpy UK garage remix I recall, but the album is a lot deeper. With gospel and 60s/70s soul roots, Kwesi's little gem (only about 45 mins) is very original, very spiritual, but utterly unpretentious. Definitely on a laid-back vibe, but never boring, the music is richly textured while Kwesi's voice is simple, smooth, hypnotic and full of heart. He sings: "I'm a blues man for the 90s, a blues man for 2-thou", and I'm just disappointed I haven't heard any new Kwesi stuff since this album was released in '97.