Profile for M. Smart > Reviews

Content by M. Smart

M. Smart "matties25" (London)

Sony BDPS1200 Smart Blu-ray Disc Player
Sony BDPS1200 Smart Blu-ray Disc Player
Price: 59.00

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so impressed by this little blu ray marvel, 26 April 2014
After having this unit less than 5 days I can now write this review and say; this is a great blu-ray player for the money, buy one today!

After a few years of good service our PS3 died again, it was in actual fact a replacement that Sony had sent to me after the 1st one died after only 17 months! (my PS2 is still alive and works fine by the way) So why didn't I replace my PS3 with a PS4? And buy another Sony product?

1. Expense of a new PS4.
2. I hardly ever had time to play games any more.
3. Sony decided that DVD playback wasn't an important feature, apparently the quality of DVD is very poor on PS4, Blu Ray is fine.
4. Reliability concerns after having two failed PS3 units.

If you don't need 3D playback (a gimmick in my opinion) or WIFI capability (I use an ethernet cable anyway, far more reliable and stable) then this cheaper Sony BDPS1200 is the perfect replacement Smart (money) Blu-Ray machine. sixty quid is a major bargain! The unit itself is tiny which is great for us as it fits a space I couldn't use before next to my AV amp. The blu-ray picture quality is better than the PS3, which is understandable really, the DVD up-scaling is also very good as well, the sound quality through the coax cable to my amp is also excellent as well.

The remote control with this unit is very small but it has a Netflix button, I'm very happy with that. It also now plays Amazon Instant Video which is great news for those that were holding off buying this player because it wasn't available initially. The app is very similar to the interface on the old PS3 Lovefilm app, which is what I needed after spending about 6 weeks using the absolutely awful shop like Amazon online version.

Downsides, no ITV player (not bothered!) No 4oD, which was my main concern with this player, I hate 4oD at the best of times, it must be the very worst streaming player available always cutting out etc. etc. but the later PS3 app version was almost bearable. No idea why Channel 4 insist on not producing a good app for the Smart blu-ray player market? Failed. The remote control is not bluetooth like my old PS3 I do miss not having to point the remote control directly at the unit to make it do something.

If you can live with these minor downsides then you are onto a winner with this player.

Saltwater [VINYL]
Saltwater [VINYL]
Price: 5.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky Clever Pop, 30 Jun 2013
This review is from: Saltwater [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I was looking forward to receiving this album on vinyl and it was well worth my investment and the pre order wait. After hearing How The Ranks Was Won for the 1st time on the radio I was hooked on the sound of Brazos and Martin Crane. The music can be best described as hooky pop with well written lyrics, I cannot get the David Byrne and Talking Heads comparison out of my head if that helps you. This album was written with a nautical theme throughout, so expect plenty of references to long voyages and whales and choppy seas, you can even hear the sea on some tracks. It took me a few listens to get into the album but now I love it, the musicianship on all of the tracks is excellent with a great bass and drums driving each song behind the distinctive voice and guitar of Crane. Ranks, Charmed, Valencia and the title track Saltwater all stand out for me, this band deserves to be appreciated by many, please give their music a listen you too might be drawn in by their infectious, great music.

Neewer Ml-L3 Wireless Remote Control For Nikon D90 D60 D40 D80 & More
Neewer Ml-L3 Wireless Remote Control For Nikon D90 D60 D40 D80 & More
Offered by Ultra Sales Global (7-23 Business Day Delivery Time)
Price: 4.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Why pay Nikon more?, 23 Dec 2011
Very happy with my bargain remote, to be honest this sort of thing should come with the camera as standard, but because Nikon want to make as much money from you as they can they sell this sort of thing to you for at least fifteen pounds. Don't do it buy this for a pound or two and you will have wished you had done it sooner. It really does make shooting group or couple shots that you are in so much easier + you will be able to take as many shots as you wish without having to reset the timer each time. Also excellent to use for long exposure shots at night so that you get the most light to the sensor and stop any shutter press wobble to your pics.

Mind Driving: New Skills for Staying Alive on the Road
Mind Driving: New Skills for Staying Alive on the Road
by Stephen Haley

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for ALL drivers of any vehicles, 28 Aug 2007
I passed my driving test 10 months ago, I bought this book within a week of passing my test. The book is certainly worth paying a few pounds for as it could really save your life or someone elses.

As a novice driver I have come across quite a lot of really bad driving already, to the point where I now think that all drivers should have some form of re-test every 10 years or at the very minimum be forced to go to and listen to a one day lecture on safer driving and thinking.

Until that time all drivers should read this book at least once, the book shows you that driving is not something you just do automatically with your limbs you should be useing your brain to THINK about your actions and that of other road users.

A good bit of advice from the book talks about driving as a team, we are all on a team even though the other drivers may change along the way, but the ultimate aim of the team is to ensure that you and your fellow team members all get home safely.

There is so much advice and so much to think about when you are driving that you will wonder why this is not part of the driving test as standard. I quite often dip into the book to refresh my thinking about certain driving aspects.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2007 9:50 AM GMT

Philips HQ8150 Philishave Speed XL Mains/Rechargeable Rotary Shaver
Philips HQ8150 Philishave Speed XL Mains/Rechargeable Rotary Shaver

1.0 out of 5 stars Also Not Impressed, 4 Jan 2007
I bought this Philishave rotary shaver myself a year ago from Amazon also giving it a try after being fairly pleased with my 6-7 year old Braun foil shaver! What a mistake it was, i really wanted to send it back at the time, but thought they would not refund because of hygine?

I am only writing this review after a year as I'm actually looking to get another better Braun shaver and thought I should see what others thought of this useless shaver. And it appears i'm not the only unhappy mug. The old Braun shaver's battery went but I did not realise how much of a smoother shave it gave me and how much longer the shave lasted compared to when I started shaving with a Phillips shaver, do not be taken in by the adverts that sell these things to you, with their impressive 3D graphics. These things are what gives electric shaving a bad name. Buy a Braun foil shaver and save yourself some money too, as it seems that Philips sell this rubbish at far too higher price, you are really only paying for their advertising costs not a quality shaver. Also on a further negative side, Amazon sold these a year ago for 65, 10 cheaper than they are priced today, even if it was priced down to 20 think before you buy!

The positve I can find is that you can wash it under a tap, but it now appears that Braun also have such a shaver, oh well.