Profile for Denise Inge > Reviews

Content by Denise Inge

Denise Inge (Worcester, England)

New and Selected Poems: v. 1
New and Selected Poems: v. 1
by Mary Oliver

5.0 out of 5 stars unflinching, 23 April 2010
I love these poems that look life, nature, love in the face unflinchingly and tenderly at the same time. I go back to them again and again.

The Meaning of Friendship
The Meaning of Friendship
by Mark Vernon

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating, 23 April 2010
This book makes fascinating reading. It opened my eyes to the ways in which our modern view of friendship has been shaped by understandings of friendship in the past, and I particularly enjoyed his discussion of the internet -- how cyber-friendship has initiated new concepts of friendship, and may alter our ability to make lasting friends. We are all aware that friendship is important, and we all want to have friends but few of us take the time to explore what friendship is about. This impassioned plea for friendship examines the uncertainties, limits and ambiguities of friendship, and brings us a dynamic view of its perils and promise. A book not to miss.

The Philosophy of Friendship
The Philosophy of Friendship
by Dr Mark Vernon

5.0 out of 5 stars What Are Friends For?, 17 Mar. 2006
A fascinating look at friendship from ancient times to today, The Philosophy of Friendship asks questions we need to hear. What is friendship about? Why does it matter so much? and more alarmingly, Can friendship bear the weight of the many expectations we place on it? I really enjoyed this book. Readable,engaging, Mark Vernon's interweaving of history and theory with everyday examples of many types of friendship makes this is a book of philosophy for everyone. Don't miss it.