Profile for Krappyrubsnif > Reviews

It's Not About The Bike: My Journey Back to Life
It's Not About The Bike: My Journey Back to Life
by Lance Armstrong

1.0 out of 5 stars I've burned my copy!, 22 Oct. 2012
I am a cancer survivor - and a cyclist. I bought this book in 2005 when I was diagnosed and fighting the disease and, like everybody else, I found it utterly inspirational. I won, too, and I'm still here. But in the end no thanks to Hamilton - I feel cheated. Hamilton, if you ever read this, I hope you understand how many people your supposed miracle inspired, and how badly you let them down. I feel inclined to burn my copy - it certainly isn't staying on my bookshelf!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2013 2:04 PM GMT

The White Man's Burden: Why the West's Efforts to Aid the Rest Have Done So Much Ill And So Little Good
by William Easterly

5.0 out of 5 stars A clarion call for proper delivery of Aid, 9 July 2011
I thoroughly recommend this book. It's not anti-foreign aid, but it asks sensible and probing questions about how Aid is funded and organised, how it is actually used on the ground, and asks why so much of it fails to reach the poor in the developing world.

It's a clarion call for Aid to be delivered on a human level by people whose job is to find effective solutions ('Searchers') rather than by Western planners imposing grand, unrealistic solutions or seeking a Utopian ideal ('Planners'). I loved the humour, sensitivity and insight devoted to a clear explanation of a subject that can all too often be thorny and earnest - but this is much more than a kiddy's guide to Aid, it's a brilliant and persuasive call to change the system and the way society thinks about funding development overseas. It's a a great book that should be read by everyone interested in the conundrum of world poverty in an era of plenty.

Canon Pixma iP1800/EN A4 4800x1200dpi USB 2.0
Canon Pixma iP1800/EN A4 4800x1200dpi USB 2.0

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 9 Dec. 2009
This has to be the worst printer I ever bought. Just over a year and a half after buying it, with very low usage, it has developed a fault which means that every third sheet or so the paper jams, the whole thing has to be turned off and restarted. It was always very slow and noisy anyway. Well, I guess that's what you expect for the price. It's going straight in the rubbish bin (well, recycling dump) and I'm going for a higher level machine. Who needs a printer that just breaks down after a few months?