Profile for M.Johnstone > Reviews

Beastly London: A History of Animals in the City
Beastly London: A History of Animals in the City
by Hannah Velten

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating book, 13 Feb. 2014
A rich, resourceful and utterly engrossing book that takes you on a journey into a city that few of us ever imagined existed. Who knew there were was an elephant on the Strand and fighting monkeys near Westminster? Beautifully produced and illustrated too.

Living With the Gift
Living With the Gift
by TJ Higgs

5.0 out of 5 stars Now I Love Her Even More!!!, 14 July 2009
This review is from: Living With the Gift (Paperback)
I've been a fan of TJ's since she starred on Psychic Private Eyes and I've seen her live a few times too, with Colin Fry. I never miss a show if she's in my area. I think she is truly amazing and have always loved the down to earth and funny way she connects with her audience. Now I know why she's so good. She has led an amazing life, with lots of highs and lows. (I won't spoil the book by telling you what they are!) What I will tell you though is that there was obviously a reason why she went through those hard times. Because she's been there, done it, got the T shirt, it means she can truly empathise with others when they go through the rough times too. I gobbled this book up in two sittings, shed a tear or two on the way and laughed a lot too. By the end I really felt like I knew the real TJ. I loved her before - now I love her even more! Can't wait to see her live again. Great book. Five stars all the way.

One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story
One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story
by Pen Farthing

5.0 out of 5 stars This Man Is A Hero, 6 Feb. 2009
I read One Dog At A Time in two sittings and was gripped not just by the drama of Pen's dog rescues but his honest, boots on the ground description of everyday warfare. Days and nights sitting in the heat and dust, waiting for the mortars to rain down again. The Afghan curried goat scene had me in stitches. In the end, of course, it's the dogs that dominate the story. You grow to love Nowzad, Tali, RPG and the rest of them and are rooting for them to make it out of the hellhole they have been born into. The ending had me in buckets of tears. I couldn't get the images out of my head all day. This country doesn't know how lucky it is to have men like this defending us. Great book. Great story. Great man. One question Sergeant Farthing: what happened next?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2010 7:01 PM GMT

Why Pandas Do Handstands...: And Other Curious Truths About Animals
Why Pandas Do Handstands...: And Other Curious Truths About Animals
by Augustus Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars everyone must own this book, 6 Dec. 2006
Oh my god!! i had this book brought for me on Thursday (November 30th) and I have finished it already, it is truly unique. Never have I read such brilliance. Its fast paced, easy to read, witty and breathtakingly good. Everyone must own this book. I think it is one of those books in which you'll honestly lose yourself, its stupidity is astounding and yet you will be hooked. It seems almost pointless and yet it is unputdownable. Never before has a book accomplished such humour and wit and yet included hundreds of facts. I really was shocked at how good it was. It was so good I barely put it down. I was eating like a hummingbird (they eat almost constantly that's why they hum- a fact from the book) this is a magnificent piece of writing, a breakthrough for factual books, if only they were all written this way, shocking, stupid yet splendid. Without a doubt in my top 5 books for the year.