Profile for Curiosity Killed The Bookworm > Reviews

Content by Curiosity Kill...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 436

Curiosity Killed The Bookworm (Dorset, UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
GLAZE
GLAZE

5.0 out of 5 stars The future of social media, 12 May 2014
This review is from: GLAZE (Kindle Edition)
Glaze is an action packed social commentary on both the positive and negative aspects of social media. So interesting to see some of our current behaviour brought out into the open and examined in this fictional world. The wealth of knowledge and support we have at our fingertips is amazing when you compare it to 20 years ago, imagine if it was all in your head, accessible with just a thought. Is limiting access to individual impeding on their civil rights? Are our happy social circles shielding us from other viewpoints, for better or for worse?

Not to mention the scary thought of what giant corporations could be doing with our data. At what point do you draw the line, especially if all you can see are personal benefits? In Glaze there is only one social network that matters, there isn’t any choice in the matter other than not joining. And not joining means being excluded, something many people already feel about Facebook today.

The hackers that Petri meets seems harmless at first. As the story progresses, it follows the fine line between doing something for the greater good and doing more harm than good. There are always two sides to the coin. Some have noble causes but others can threaten the systems we rely on so much. Sometimes it’s a bit of both.

I don’t think we are too far away from her world, which is frightening stuff. I loved every page.

Review copy provided by author.

Nagasaki
Nagasaki
by Éric Faye

5.0 out of 5 stars Brief but thought-provoking, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Nagasaki (Paperback)
Fifty-six year old Shimura Kobo lives alone in the suburbs of Nagasaki. His life is relatively uneventful; he goes to work each day and avoids socialising with his colleagues. Then food starts to go missing. The once he could dismiss, but it keeps on happening. Who is in his home, helping themselves to his food?

Nagasaki is a short, but perfectly formed tale, a novella at 109 pages. It doesn’t need to be longer though, it’s a small, intimate story that would likely be damaged with padding. I’ve noticed the French seem much happier with shorter books and yes, it’s French, but somehow seems very Japanese in its telling.

It’s based on a story that ran in several Japanese newspapers and it does make you think. Our homes are our personal spaces, it’s understandable to want them free of intruders. But there’s also a sense of selfishness in the situation…it wasn’t really harming Shimura and there’s a sense of remorse as the story continues. We would like to think we would help those less fortunate in our communities, but when push comes to shove, how many of us do anything?

There’s a lot to think about and discuss which makes this the perfect book for book groups on busy months. Sometimes novellas feel a bit too brief, if ultimately enjoyable, but I don’t think you’d have that problem with Nagasaki.

The Boy in the Smoke
The Boy in the Smoke

4.0 out of 5 stars Great prequel novella, 27 Mar 2014
The Boy in the Smoke is a novella prequel to the Shades of London series, originally published for World Book Day. Unlike a lot of series novellas, this one isn’t just a bit of fluff and stands up on its own as a story. It’s even readable if you don’t know what happens in the other books, although if you’re reading the series, it may contain some spoilers (at least for the first book).

The gist of the story is what happened to Stephen prior to The Name of the Star, some of which was referred to already (can’t remember if it’s in book one or two though). It’s about how privilege doesn’t always make life easy and the pressure of parental expectations. I liked the fact that Stephen had always wanted to be a police officer despite everything.

I really recommend it to fans of the series and it has seriously whetted my appetite for book three, out later this year.

A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent (Memoir By Lady Trent 1)
A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent (Memoir By Lady Trent 1)
by Marie Brennan

4.0 out of 5 stars Not your average dragon story, 27 Feb 2014
Written in the style of a memoir, A Natural History of Dragons is set in a world similar to Victorian England and its legacy of scientific exploration. It’s not quite steampunk, perhaps in the very early days before everything is steam powered, it could have easily been in our world but with dragons. Of course, it’s a time when ladies are supposed to act ladylike and not traipse off to heathen lands on expeditions.

The memoir style allows Lady Trent to look back on some of her thoughts and actions with hindsight. Perhaps we can’t expect a 19 year old woman from a high society background to be completely free from naivety or ignorance, and the older narrator can point out where she has since come to think otherwise. She references her other works, reminding us that the world exists outside the pages of this book.

It’s odd, the narrative voice is one I thought I wouldn’t have warmed to, but by the end I was invested in her character and moved by her honesty. She cares about dragons but she has the sense to put people first; good people at least. I loved the relationship between her and her surly ladies’ maid, Dragmira. She might be the farthest she can get from the staff at home but she ends up exactly what she needs. A Scirling maid surely wouldn’t have put up with her running after dragons and strange men.

The Seers
The Seers
by Julianna Scott

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit slow paced, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Seers (Paperback)
Becca is a great narrator for these books, she seems so real and likeable. A normal, well-adjusted girl who just happens to have some very unusual powers. Her voice carries through the text and makes The Seers really readable, even though the pace was too slow for me. There’s a lot going on, which takes a while to all come together.

I liked seeing a platonic friendship form between girl and boy for once. This thread was my favourite part and probably made me slightly more annoyed with Alex and his jealousy. The strength of the anam bond means he has nothing to worry about and, whilst a twinge of jealousy is kind of understandable, his actions don’t make sense. Logically, Becca is open and doing what needs to be done and it practically impossible for them to cheat on each other.

It is difficult to carry on an interesting romantic storyline once the characters have got together and I get that this was an attempt to put some relationship stuff in. Yet I don’t think it was really needed. They could be getting along fine and dandy and focusing on the mystery and danger.

It’s great to see the Holder powers being explored a bit more and the climactic rescue was great. Down to a hair incident that I disproportionally loved. And I do like the world. It just took a long time coming. Hopefully in further adventures, Alex and Becca will be more sure of themselves and get on with living this exciting life they have.

Review copy provided by publisher.

Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion)
Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion)
by Aimée Carter

3.0 out of 5 stars Dystopia by numbers, 23 Jan 2014
If you'll excuse the pun, it's all a bit dystopia by numbers. There's a test for starters. Can we drop this plot device please? Otherwise the numbering is a believable system, keeping people in their place. At least people believe they have a chance to rise.

Kitty starts off with a boyfriend and Lila, who she takes the place of, has a fiancé but it doesn't fall into the love triangle trap. Which is another point in its favour. However overall it's lacking emotional depth, especially considering she's meant to be constantly in fear for her life, or the lives of people she cares about. She nearly goes into prostitution, thinking that is a valid life choice, but it just seems like a night out to a club to her. I really think having her life ripped away would be more traumatic than she lets on. Instead she recovers quite quickly to all the horror thrown at her. And really, it's a horrible world, one deserved a bit more depth.

Maybe I'm tiring of the young adult dystopia sub-genre. I think there's still a place for strong stories which explore the threat of today's politics, but I don't believe that's really what the whole trend was about. It was rebellion against authority, but even that has lost its way a bit.

A lot of Pawn reminded me of The Selection trilogy by Keira Kass. It's a different situation but something in my mind just melded them together. Perhaps it was the privileged family and hiding in the safe room away from the rebels. It's an easy enough read and enjoyable, just nothing new. If you fancy giving Aimee Carter a go, I would recommend the Goddess books instead.

The Echo
The Echo
by James Smythe

4.0 out of 5 stars Another bleak tale from James Smythe, 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Echo (Hardcover)
There is a sibling rivalry between Mira and Tomas, right from the start of their lives and throughout their careers. Identical twins; Tomas was born with a birthmark and Mira, Mirakel, was unexpected, both looking towards science, both over achieving. Tomas is left at mission control on earth whilst Mira had the chance to see the anomaly in person. This separation and professional reliance on each other is a red flag. Something is bound to go wrong.

It took me a while longer than James' other books to get into. Mira's lack of connection to the crew also distances the reader, but I think what Mr Smythe does well are characters in isolation. Whilst Mira might not be physically alone, he does manage to be apart mentally, and without giving too much away, there are still parts that are very much about the loneliness and emptiness of space, even though it is a different sort of novel to The Explorer.

In The Explorer, Cormac became an observer of himself. Here, Mira becomes an external observer of the anomaly's behaviour, not a participant. Even in this he is distanced, an outsider, again. Before the anomaly was a mystery, completely unexplained. This time, they are setting out to discover what it is.

One thing I enjoyed was the constant references to lack of sleep in the early parts. I read this during the final stages of a 24 hour readathon, so they had a certain relevance at the time. Mira's determination not to sleep is probably the first thing that pushes him away from the rest of the crew. He doesn't miss anything but they must sleep. Even Tomas, back on earth sleeps. Staying awake puts Mira in a position of power over everyone else. But what is the price of insomnia? I rather wanted some more consequences to this, but thinking back on the ending, maybe that's what happens, maybe he's just crazy?

The Echo is another bleak book, one that gives hope and then snatches it away. Perhaps that is worse than never having hope in the first place... It's an admirable sequel to the excellent Explorer, which is a very hard book to beat. Like all of James' books, there's plenty to ponder and return to.

Review copy provided by publisher.

Wild Justice: Number 3 in series (Nadia Stafford)
Wild Justice: Number 3 in series (Nadia Stafford)
by Kelley Armstrong

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad she finished Nadia's story, 23 Jan 2014
Jack brings Nadia an offering, a file on the man who raped and killed her cousin and got away with it. If she wants, she can kill him, or Jack will do the honour. But stirring up the past brings Nadia face to face with some harsh truths and someone is out to get her.

It's been such a long time since the last Nadia Stafford book, I had given up hope of getting more but I am so glad Kelley Armstrong decided to finish off her story. I always enjoyed the tenuous relationship between Nadia and her mentor, Jack, and here we get some closure and well as delving into her uncomfortable past, the very reason she became a professional killer in the first place.

If you never liked Jack, you may be in for a disappointment. This is mostly about the tentative relationship between him and Nadia. He is still gruff and economical with his words, but his sentences do get longer...well, yes he speaks in sentences. In the previous book, Nadia had realised she wanted more from him than the fatherly, mentor role he provided but was clear that he didn't want the same. He's a lone wolf, but one that's aging in a profession that doesn't take kindly to age. That foundation is built upon in Wild Justice and I thoroughly enjoyed the dynamics between them.

As for the thriller side. They're hitmen (or hitpersons, not sure what you're meant to call them) so there is a certain amount of subterfuge and killing, but I think Kelley's voice shines through it all. Nadia is often the first to point out the clichés or schoolboy errors that others might make or think about when it comes to her profession. The warmth in her characters is the same as her other series, and makes this trilogy one to read even if thrillers aren't your thing.

Shadowplay (Micah Grey)
Shadowplay (Micah Grey)
by Laura Lam

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthy sequel to Pantomime, 7 Jan 2014
Micah Grey is on the run from the circus, with Drystan, the white clown, in tow. Determined not to be returned to his noble family, he takes refuge with the once great magician, Jasper Maske. As he learns the tricks of the trade, he also starts to understand that magic is more than just an illusion and it's real.

Parts of Shadowplay reminded me of The Prestige, with old style illusionists gripped in an ancient grudge. I loved the atmosphere of the theatre and the images conjured up by their performances. Yes, in the first book Micah/Gene ran away to join the circus and now he's run away to join a magic show. Though life seems a little easier this time round.

Whilst Micah spent a lot of time in Pantomime worrying what other people thought of him, this is much more about acceptance. More people know his secret and everyone is accepting. It gave me a warm fuzzy feeling about the story, despite there being darker aspects.

Of course, Micah is still in hiding and desperate to stay out of the reach of the Shadow on his tail. But he also wants to learn more about Kedi and what that means about him. I'm starting to identify Micah/Gene as a young man in my head, because I think that's how he identifies himself, but there are still aspects of Gene sneaking through, especially in the narrative voice.

The unfolding relationship between Micah and Drystan is lovely and chaste and completely believable. I loved the moments when they curled up in bed together.

It's a worthy follow up to the utterly fantastic Pantomime. It had a lot to live up to, and like many second books, it's not quite as good as the first, but if you loved the first book, do carry on and read Shadowplay too. Whilst there is a bit more on the Vestige, I think I wanted more magic, something I suspect we'll see in the future.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
by Holly Black

4.0 out of 5 stars The grimy side to vampires, 18 Oct 2013
Holly Black's vision of a world with vampires in the public eye is full of interesting elements. The spread of vampirism was a mistake and it's treated as a disease with quarantines in special Coldtowns. Going cold is treated in a way similar to junkies and withdrawals; it's not in any way glamorised, despite the TV shows broadcast from the Coldtowns which draw in groupies whose lives will be forever changed. Those going cold are almost zombie like.

Each chapter has a wonderful quote on the subject of death. I thought they were well chosen and added something to the book. In places, the video blogging culture reminded me a little of Mira Grant's Feed. I always appreciate modern life creeping into fantasy books in this way. Of course people would be blogging about vampires if they existed and chasing them across the country in the quest for content.

I did feel too much time was spent on Aidan and Tana's relationship at the start. He seemed like a vehicle to get her to a Coldtown rather than an integral character and I would have preferred more time given over to the rest of the back story; the culture around the vampires, how they came to be public and Gavriel's past were all fascinating. I loved Gavriel; there's something appealing about a deranged vamp when so many are depicted as sophisticated or charming. Although I suppose you can be deranged and sophisticated!

So it's a bit slow to start but the second half had me gripped right up to the end. Tana's choices are brave and the ending was perfect for me. It's not often I think that (and I don't know if this is a standalone or a series). I would like to read more but I am satisfied where it ended up.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20