Profile for Bruce > Reviews

Bruce

Balham to Bollywood
Balham to Bollywood
by Chris England

5.0 out of 5 stars The Funniest non-Cartoon-based Book I Have Ever Read, 17 Jun 2002
This review is from: Balham to Bollywood (Hardcover)
As a person of Japanese ancestry from California, my exposure to cricket is, as expected, extremely limited.
However, I work with many Indians, which is how I became aware of, and ultimately saw, "Lagaan". "Lagaan" - in the worldwide sense - is a movie classic and one of the best pictures I have seen in my life.
When I first saw this book, it was because of its connection to "Lagaan" and the cricket match that I bought it. I am recommending this book because it is a really funny book. Until the end, when he writes of the tragic earthquake which hit India after filming was completed, Chris England appears to have fun with the writing. Even some of his more serious stuff has amusing twists at the end (except, as I said, for the earthquake segment).
The book is easy to read and everyone, including non-cricketers, will be able to understand and appreciate the humor.
I hope Chris will get more roles that will allow him the experiences that he shared with us in this book. He is an engaging writer. If he does receive such an opportunity, I would love to read that book as well.