Profile for C. J. Walker > Reviews

Content by C. J. Walker

C. J. Walker (U K)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Making Life Rhyme
Making Life Rhyme

5.0 out of 5 stars Something to SHOUT about, 19 April 2015
This review is from: Making Life Rhyme (Audio CD)
Having a new album by Lulu at this time in her career is amazing,the lady is (I hope she dosent mind me saying) sixty six years old and I did not think we would have any new material from her.She has been very busy on the shopping channels with her TIMEBOMB product.
To return now and with brand new material which she has co-written is a brave move and I think it has paid off in spades.Her voice is still strong with songs written from the heart.A lot of critics are calling this a career high,well I think her NEW ROUTES album takes a lot of beating but who would believe that forty five years on from that landmark album we would have this.
Many of the reviews here are not that good,what on earth do you want? If this album was by a new artist it would be viewed very differently,this lady is a show biz legend,fifty years a star who's star is still shinning very bright.
I really hope this is the first of many more,she is doing current material and not digging up the past.
Good luck Lu,I hope it sets the chart alive you deserve it.

I'll Never Fall in Love Again : The Best Of
I'll Never Fall in Love Again : The Best Of

4.0 out of 5 stars Bobbie,Where are you?, 18 April 2015
This is yet another compilation but at a cheap price and well packaged.
I don't think it includes her best tracks and there are better sets available,but there are good sleeve notes,original album sleeve pics and all in all not bad.
What would be welcome is a dvd of her BBC shows.
If you have never owned any of Miss Gentrys albums then this is a good starting point,then go for her 2 on 1 cds on the Raven Label and be amazed by her talent and more amazed that nothing has been heard from her in nearly 40 years.

Live
Live
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Diana's first solo "Live" album, 18 April 2015
This review is from: Live (Audio CD)
This originally came out on vinyl in 1974 and I think it was recorded a few years earlier,it includes only two of her solo hits "Reach out and Touch" and "Ain't no mountain high Enough" also included is a Supremes medley and a medley from "Lady sings the Blues".Other tracks include "Don't rain on my parade" "Big Mable Murphy" "I love you Porgy""The lady is a tramp" "My man" and the two best songs "Corner of the sky" and "Bein' Green"
The original album spent 8 weeks on the chart and rose to Number 21.
A very enjoyable album and great to have on cd at last.

X4 Abba -New Package-
X4 Abba -New Package-

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic Box Set, 25 Feb. 2015
This review is from: X4 Abba -New Package- (Audio CD)
Abba,s music speaks for itself and these albums have been issued many times so I will explain what this set includes.
You get the four albums as shown on the cover,they have the bonus tracks on each and come in a thin card sleeve with the album art with a red border.On the reverse of each is a list of the tracks but not the original album artwork.There is no booklet either so is very basic but good value.

Diana
Diana

5.0 out of 5 stars Soundtrack to Diana;s first TV Special, 8 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Diana (Audio CD)
As there is no track listing for this release,I will give the original vinyl album program
1 Don't rain on my parade.
2 Mama;s Pearl.
Walk on by.
The love you save.(Jackson 5 )
3 Close to you.
4 Bill Cosby Segment.
5 Love Story (Diana and Bill Cosby)
6 Remember me.
7 I'll be there.
Feelin;alright. (Jackson 5)
8 Danny Thomas segment.
9 Ain;t no mountain high enough.
10 I Love You(call me).

The original release came out the same day as her SURRENDER(I;m still waiting UK) LP and she had been at No 1with I;m Still Waiting.IT had a fold out sleeve with many photo;s from this her first TV Special as a solo artist.It was;nt a big seller only spending one week on the chart and only reaching No 43.Perhaps this is why I believe it has never been issued on cd in the UK and had a brief release in the states many years ago.

The TV Special included Diana;s big hits so far,comedy sketches and the new motown group THE JACKSON 5 and proved Diana could do it on her own.You really need a DVD of the show but that will probably never happen.
This looks like a limited release from Japan and hopefully Amazon will have back in stock soon.

Something I Need
Something I Need

5.0 out of 5 stars Ben you,re Something we need, 17 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Something I Need (Audio CD)
Congratulations Ben at last a rock artist has won The X Factor.
I have been backing Ben from the start and what a joy he won,great singer and a nice chap.
Also a really great track,I have loved the One Republic original and this is a brilliant choice for his first single,he delivers a superb version.
I am sure this is the start of a long and successful career.Ben is a change of fresh air as most winners of the X Factor seem to sing soul/r n b which although a great singer Fleur would have gone down that route.I look forward to following Bens journey.
This better get to No 1 and make my Christmas.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2015 10:47 PM GMT

Donna - The CD Collection
Donna - The CD Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars for this set,,,,,,,,,no stars for Amazon, 8 Dec. 2014
This is not a review as such,I owned all the albums on vinyl way back and its great to see them rereleased in deluxe editions.My personal favourite is THE WANDERER where Donna ditches disco and goes rock.
Anyway I was about to buy this set after seeing it from Amazon for about £48.50.my fault I did;nt order there and then but the next morning the price had risen to £60.99!
This is not the first time Amazon have increased prices and I am not happy.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2014 11:59 PM GMT

Original Album Series
Original Album Series

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last some of Bassey's best available at a reasonable price, 27 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
At last some of Shirleys best albums are in this set.SOMETHING and SOMETHING ELSE have only been available on cd at expensive prices,so great to have them at a reasonable price.The only quibble I have its a shame the expanded editions couldn't have been used,but these are Shirley at her peak.
I CAPRICORN is another top album,not quite as good as S and SE but still worth it.
AND I LOVE YOU SO and NEVER NEVER NEVER are weaker due to the song choices.
For this price you get Bassey at her best and in the original album sleeves.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2014 6:23 PM GMT

Cilla [DVD] [2014]
Cilla [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Sheridan Smith
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars Swinging Cilla!, 6 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Cilla [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Since hearing this drama was being made earlier this year I have been really looking forward to it and it is fabulous.
As everyone else has said Sheridan Smith does a brilliant job and I can't fault her.If I had any complaints it would be that it should have been over four episodes as I felt part three was rushed.Cilla achieved so much between Anyone who had a heart and the BBC CILLA shows that a lot was missed out.There was her two forays into acting on the big screen,a cameo in Ferry across the Mersey and A starring role in Work is a four letter word and her many appearances on shows like Juke Box Jury where her personality really shone and she was called "the girl everyone wished lived next Door".
I have been lucky to see Cilla many times in concert,panto's and TV shows and have many happy memories of meeting her.I also loved that the show showed us her relationship with Bobby,I remember on one occasion after waiting for Cilla at a stage door,we arrived late and thought we had missed her then saw Bobby taking bags to the car,he said hang on I'll fetch her and she came out just for us.Bobby was allways there but in the backgroud letting Cilla take center stage.
So all in all I loved it and congratulations to all involved.I must mention Ed Stoppard who was terrific as Brian Epstien.
The music,the clothes,the hair all spot on.So glad it has come out so quick on DVD so can watch again and again and again.

Live In London
Live In London
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Supreme, 6 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Live In London (Audio CD)
I had this on vinyl back in 75,had'nt heard it for years and now its on cd,great The girls are in good voice and its a great show and nice to have songs they didn't record.
This is entertainment as it used to be and the best line up,Sheila,Valerie and the late Fayette.
I wish someone would now issue their LIVE IN JAPAN album on cd,it was also taped in 75 and had similar track listing
1 TSOP
2 Free Ride
3 Somos Novios(its impossible)
4 Year of decision
13 Dirty ol man
14 Don't let the sun go down on me
15 McCarthur Park
16 Love Train
as you can see its very similar and was only issued in Japan.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14