Profile for J. Horton > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
SFML Blueprints
SFML Blueprints
by Maxime Barbier

4.0 out of 5 stars Loads of working projects to build but not for the C++ newcomer, 12 Nov. 2015
This review is from: SFML Blueprints (Paperback)
Someone fairly new to C++ will find making the code samples into a working project quite tough. Although I would say it was not too tough.
For example the Asteroids, Tetris and real-time multi-player tower defence game were straight-forward enough to get playing.

The strength of this book is really in it's sheer variety of projects(blueprints). If you want a really convincing SFML patterns guide maybe research SFML Game Development. If you want to build multiple working games packed full of the different SFML module's functionality then I have to say this book was seriously fun.

Tetris with box2d is a hilarious but really useful project.

SFML Essentials
SFML Essentials
by Milcho G. Milchev

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for intermediate and beginner programmers who are new to SFML, 6 Nov. 2015
This review is from: SFML Essentials (Paperback)
Most of what the other reviewers say is true- even the negative reviews. To be clear from the outset. This book is not for someone who already uses all the SFML modules and has already built a basic game.

What I enjoyed was the insight into how all the different abilities of the SFML library go together and for that reason I definitely recommend this book to an intermediate C++ programmer (who doesn't know anything about SFML) who wants to make games. If this is you just be warned that the book does occasionally teach some real back to basics stuff too, which you probably already know about. This “flaw” however, helps the reader which I am really writing this review on behalf of- the beginner.

This book makes combining the SFML modules into a well structured basic whole game, simple. That is not to say it doesn't occasionally become what a beginner would call complicated in places. In my opinion none of it would be incomprehensible to someone who has had a basic introduction to C++.

Also for a beginner, it would make an exciting if occasionally challenging companion to a regular, probably duller C++ beginners guide.

Top Secret Code Book: A fascinating book of codes to crack from the Scouts
Top Secret Code Book: A fascinating book of codes to crack from the Scouts
by Dan Newman

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, 14 July 2015
Kept my ten year old interested for ages (after watching the Alan Turing movie)

Mastering Android Game Development
Mastering Android Game Development
by Raul Portales

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book not just to become a master but also for any Java programmer, 14 July 2015
Just finished this and I have to admit to skimming a few parts. I will update when I get a chance to go back to it if necessary.

What the other review says about coverage of the structure of the code is true and if you don't want that then this is a negative but I found the coverage a positive.

Wish it didn't cover XML animations and "is this the right tool" and had more of the absolutely excellent info like on screen game controllers and particle effects made really easy.

Five stars for that.

Learning Unreal® Engine iOS Game Development
Learning Unreal® Engine iOS Game Development
by Muhammad A.Moniem

5.0 out of 5 stars Reccomended, 13 Jun. 2015
I read allot of game development books and I don't always bother to leave a review but this title deserves a special mention.

I am an Android developer and I want to branch out a bit so I needed to do some research. This book was perfect for me because although all the games made in this book are quite simple and straightforward the book teaches so much more than just making the games. I needed this because I was new to ios.

The chapter on making money for your app was especially useful. It is a click by click how-to guide on adding banner adverts and in-app purchases. It is not theoretical in any way and by the end of a few hours (after you have completed a working game) following the instructions you can have an actual monetized app.

This book starts at the beginning and assumes no previous knowledge but it doesn't teach you to suck eggs either. Again, despite the game examples being very simple you will learn real world topics like provisioning, managing more advanced projects and publishing. It is also a good introduction to Blueprints visual scripting although Epic do have a free series of tutorials that do this as well.

This would be a perfect companion book to a more advanced game building only UE4 book.

Unity 2D Game Development Cookbook
Unity 2D Game Development Cookbook

4.0 out of 5 stars I love reading game dev books and this one was no ..., 23 April 2015
I love reading game dev books and this one was no exception.

Where this beginner book makes itself useful and other Unity books not so much is the focus on 2d games. As a result of this focus it covers just about anything you could reasonably need to know to make a basic 2d game.

Notice I said beginner in my description but this is not made plain in the books description. Read this book if you are just getting started, want to make 2d not 3d games. There are some more advanced tutorials in there but if you have already made a few Unity games it won't have too much for you.

Learning C++ by Creating Games with UE4
Learning C++ by Creating Games with UE4

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a guide but a journey, 25 Mar. 2015
In summary it is definitely not a C++ reference, it is incomplete, definitely not the best, pure C++ beginners guide, you will need to cover some of the topics that were not mentioned. What it is is a journey from zero knowledge to an actual playable bare-bones 3d RPG and it’s a journey I would recommend you take.

Learning LibGDX Game Development - Second Edition
Learning LibGDX Game Development - Second Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for anyone new to LibGDX or game development., 7 Mar. 2015
...but not for the complete Java novice however.

The new content on the 3d API is extremely eye opening with regard to just how easy to use it is and an excellent introduction to Bullet (physics engine) in the last chapter.

As I said, highly recommended but not sure if owners of the first edition will want to pay full price for the update. But the update is good and the new content is great!

Near Field Communication with Android Cookbook
Near Field Communication with Android Cookbook

4.0 out of 5 stars straight to the point, 9 Oct. 2014
Only read the first few chapters so far but I wanted to leave a quick review because this book Is no nonsense and to the point. I have already send and received messages using NFC and I can't beleive how simple it was. Try googling the topic and you get mainly overly technical waffle.

I will update this review when I have read more if I get time.

Backbone.js Blueprints
Backbone.js Blueprints

5.0 out of 5 stars if I had been asked to choose the examples I would most have liked to seen it would have been, 8 Aug. 2014
The examples were spot on, if I had been asked to choose the examples I would most have liked to seen it would have been, a blog (because I am new at this), a data dashboard because I am a control freak and a game because I love game development but have never implemented a significant Web based game. All three of these topics and 4 more as well were expertly covered.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4