Profile for Steve Johnson > Reviews

Content by Steve Johnson

Steve Johnson

Sony MHSFS3 Bloggie HD Pocket Camcorder with 3D Shooting Capability - Black (4XDigital+1XOptical Zoom , 5MP, 2.4 inch LCD)

3.0 out of 5 stars beware 3D TV claims, 21 Mar 2013
Update 2 June: A bit erratic playing back videos. When I request it to do this, sometimes it freezes on black screen and I have to do a hard reboot. My local Sony Centre tells me the product has been discontinued.

I was disappointed in this product because, after some research and taking it to a Sony Centre shop, I found out that the 3D TV capability (when connected by hdmi cable) only works with the active shutter glasses system, not the narrow side-by-side picture system with passive glasses used in the cheaper 3D TV sets, one of which I have. This is not mentioned, as far as I know, in the advertising or in the product's sparse pdf manual.

I'm not sending it back though, because the full hd picture is top notch and so is the stereo microphone, something unusual in a pocket camcorder. When wired to my TV, the stereo sound is really realistic especially when the TV is connected to my hi-fi system. Also, it can take lo-res photos for quick emailing, doubly easy as the device just plugs into my laptop with its usb connector.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set-top box!, 15 Jan 2013
This mini laptop is a real step up from my old Android 2.2 mini laptop of similar design. It has really raised its game with the provision of an HDMI out, so I now occasionally use this mini laptop as a kind of 'set top box' on the TV, and there's full functionality, so it's great for BBC iPlayer and ITV Player with no buffering on my 20 mb wireless. To my astonishment, I can even do Google Voice Search and Google voice typing from my sofa 2 metres away! I have a mouse which also works at this distance with the device. The TV connection is also perfect for looking at maps, webcams, and YouTube - I have my TV connected to my hi fi speakers. On its own, the device works well as an e-reader too, especially in bed where you don't have to hold it upright unlike a tablet device. I use Google Play books which are quickly downloaded. (Unlike other reviewers, I have had no trouble downloading apps.) Mine came with a 'Documents To Go' app for...er...documents. I'll try video-Skypeing soon, using the webcam, another useful new add-on.

I scratch my head at some of the negative reviews I've read - I've only two: the BBC iPlayer picture oddly only works WITH HDMI connection to the TV. On the device itself there's sound only. ITV player works fine, apart from strange formatting. The other minus point is that occasionally the device freezes completely (not often), and then I have to do a hard shut down (finger on off button for a few seconds) followed by a re-start.

I'm still giving it 5 stars though!

TeckNet® M002 Nano Wireless Mouse,6 Buttons,18 Month Battery Life,2000 DPI 3 Adjustment Levels-Grey
Offered by BlueByte Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars very reliable, 29 Sep 2012
Very reliable, has not let me down yet. I've had it about six months. Very good value for money. Ergonomic for right-handed people, as there is a thumb recess is on the lower left of the mouse, making it very comfortable to hold.

New 7inch Laptop Android 2.2 Wifi Via8650 256MB 4GB Nand 800M Netbook Flash 10
New 7inch Laptop Android 2.2 Wifi Via8650 256MB 4GB Nand 800M Netbook Flash 10

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, once bugs ironed out, 8 Jun 2012
This is an almost completely re-written review (after owning for 6 months) because I've recently sent it back to the sellers, SR3 Distribution, who fixed the faults and shortcomings, and now it works a treat! YouTube now works fine. Recently I've wirelessly downloaded books from Google Play, so now it's an e-reader as well, and one I don't have to hold upright! The device is not designed for use with the 802n (high speed) wireless signal, only for 802 b/g. I haven't tried the 3G as it's mainly for home use. Web pages load slower than higher-spec machines, but not too slow. Mine can't play BBC I-player or the other catch-up TV services.

Some minor irritations remain - the drop-outs: the internet browser and some apps suddenly drop out when you are on the site or an app - luckily if you click back the same page is usually there. Sometimes the wireless signal disconnects itself for no good reason and I have to manually connect again, but this is not frequent.

This laptop is good value for money and I find it very useful for checking the weather, my emails, my bank balance and the news first thing in bed in the morning (I'm retired!). I've recently done online shopping, no probs. It is small and light, is totally silent, does not get hot and has a good battery life (3 or more hours). It is good for showing photos and has good definition. For other good features read the other positive reviews! And it is far easier to use than a tablet or pad because one does not have to hold it upright with the left had and poke it with the right - it's virtually hands free using the on-screen Android keyboard with a Tecknet wireless mouse I bought cheaply from Amazon. It's the ultimate 'bedtime browser', and even now I haven't explored all its capabilities.

Now that this laptop has come down in price it is even better value for money!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2012 7:34 PM BST

Pears' Cyclopaedia 2010 - 2011
Pears' Cyclopaedia 2010 - 2011
by Chris Cook

5.0 out of 5 stars Quicker than the Internet!, 29 Sep 2010
For some time I have been looking for a one-volume encyclopedia to help my kids with their homework, but it seems this form of reference has mostly succumbed to the Internet. The latest true encyclopedia I could find was Philips 2008. Although it does not cover everything, this latest Pears Cyclopedia is bang up to date, to June this year. There are hundreds of pages of small text with no graphics (apart from three maps), which prevents the book from becoming too bulky. (You can look inside the 2009 edition on the Amazon website.) The comprehensive subject index at the back makes fast searching easy, and certainly beats the Internet from a standing start (i.e. from turning your computer on). As a previous reviewers have indicated for last years' edition, one can flop the Cylopedia open at any page and find something interesting. The book is particularly good at explaining the background to issues and events.

I will certainly be buying this again every year or two.