Profile for Mr. Robert Southall > Reviews

Content by Mr. Robert Sou...

Mr. Robert Southall

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Benefactor
The Benefactor
Price: 1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars A boring short story., 4 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Benefactor (Kindle Edition)
The most thrilling part of this book is when a pair of kids argue in the back seat of a car. The TWIST at the end is visible from a mile off. At 1.99 its a rip-off, I would have dumped it after the 5th page but I had read the reviews and couldn't believe it was so bad.

U480 CAN-Bus OBDII OBD2 EOBD Trouble Code Read Diagnose Tester Diagnostic Scanner
Offered by BV-electronics
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little device., 2 Aug 2012
Well made, (I hate that part, its made in China but,gota tell it like it is) it works well, does EXACTLY what it promises and its a great price. The delivery speed made my eyes water, almost arrived before I ordered it...WELL DONE to all concerned!

BLACK PU LEATHER VERTICAL CASE FOR SONY ERICSSON XPERIA MINI PRO (SK17i) - HIGH QUALITY FLIP PHONE COVER + 2 SCREEN PROTECTORS
Offered by Membrane Store
Price: 2.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for price, 26 April 2012
This is a great little case for the Nokia. It keeps the phone tidy and protects it from the everyday knocks anb bumps that devalue the unit.

Slanket - Ruby Wine
Slanket - Ruby Wine

5.0 out of 5 stars In my wifes words "ITS GREAT"!, 5 Jan 2012
Its lovely and thick, and very warm even by my wifes standard (she was cold in Africa! had a cardigan on over her bikini at one point) so it MUST be good.

Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens
Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens
Offered by PROPER
Price: 77.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice SHARP image, a "little cracker"., 21 Dec 2011
This is a "must have" for portrait and low-light work. Its results are spectacular. The only downside is its size...it makes your Canon look more like a Box-Brownie but the results more than compensate, plus of course, the price, its a gift at 70ish.

Fujifilm FinePix S4000 Digital Camera - (14MP, 30x Optical Zoom) 3-inch LCD
Fujifilm FinePix S4000 Digital Camera - (14MP, 30x Optical Zoom) 3-inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, 20 Sep 2011
I bought this camera for my son who wanted something fairly simple but with the a manual option for when he feels like being a bit adventurous, (He knows little about photography but would like to learn). The picture quality is very good, I use photography in my work in medical physics and own a Canon and Olympus DSLRs. I would find it difficult to distinguish between the results obtained between these cameras and the S4000. The only niggle is the aperture control on the Fuji. You only have a couple of f.stops to choose when in manual mode. I also own a Fuji S5000, an old version but when I use this in manual, its full manual with all the f stops available. the S4000 takes over too much and tries to stop you taking shots that wont turn-out, maybe this is a good thing but when I select manual, I want manual, not some gremlin looking over my shoulder. Its still a great little camera and if you want good sharp pictures and a zoom from 25mm to 750mm(ish) then you will not be disappointed.

Fujifilm 8GB Class 6 SDHC SD Card
Fujifilm 8GB Class 6 SDHC SD Card
Offered by Refresh Cartridges
Price: 6.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Wirth paying the extra!, 20 Sep 2011
I use this card in my Canon DSLR. It works fine. I can tell no difference between this and a much more expensive "Extreme" device (costing [] ) that I got when I bought the camera. I would highly recommend this card!

Olympus E-520 DSLR Camera With 14-42mm lens & 40-150mm lens.
Olympus E-520 DSLR Camera With 14-42mm lens & 40-150mm lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars A CRACKER!, 28 Aug 2011
Having just retired from my job in medical physics with a huge NHS pension (believe it if you like) I decided to replace my old Nikon, Olympus and many other film cameras with a couple of digitals, I already have a Fuji S5000 but yearned a DSLR. I have read as many reviews as you can shake a stick at but having spent most of my life in physics have little need of technical opinions unless they are factual, most are not.
After due consideration I opted for the Olympus E510 and the Canon EOS 500 (for its movie function).
Most of the reviews I read have proved to be incorrect or misleading. Some said that the 4/3 system used by olympus was in some way cause for distortion. They (Olympus) simply use a lens which throws the image at a sensor which is SMALLER than the image produced, (by 1/3 believe it or not). Images from lenses get all sorts of distortion towards the edges,so olympus discard this part of the image...not hard is it. They COULD use all the image and a larger sensor, 15Mp instead of 10Mp but if its distorted, why bother?. Also, most cameras have noise reduction software, the sensor is NOT linear in its sensitivity to light, noise will appear in low light conditions with long exposures whatever you do (like increase ISO) this is a technology limitation of the sensor from which all camera manufacturers suffer!. Noise reduction software can smooth out this noise but you'r just replacing one form of distortion with another. The IMPORTANT thing is, like Corrie, you can TURN it OFF!
The image stabilisation on the Olympus is obtained by mounting the sensor on pizo-electric crystals which flex when a current is applied. the Canon uses a similar system in the lens. This function is available on ALL lenses fitted to the Olumpus but only on lenses fitted with IS on the Canon (with a corresponding increase in price) so in my mind, the Olympus system is better.
Both of these cameras give good results, one may be better than the other in some circumstances but in general there is little to choose, however, to get comparative image quality from the Canon you have to pay a heck of a lot of money for your lens, some of the cheaper Canon lenses give abysmal results so look at the reviews BEFORE you part with your cash.

When Darkness Falls: Free eBook Part 3
When Darkness Falls: Free eBook Part 3

1.0 out of 5 stars Whatever happened to "part 2", 8 April 2011
Just bought a kindle, was very impressed untill, while reading my first free ebook, "When darkness falls" by James Grippando "end of part 1, download part 2 " popped up on the display. I have scoured the Amazon site and a large part of the web for the elusive part 2 but to date, with no joy. Even more frustrating is the fact that part 3 is freely available anywhere, including the local butchers shop...Not a good start I fear.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2011 8:36 AM BST

Fuji Superia 400 x24 Exp 35mm Film
Fuji Superia 400 x24 Exp 35mm Film
Offered by JSP online
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars First class, 28 Feb 2011
The film is Fuji so does exactly what it says on the tin, gives first class results with colour slightly less stark than many of its competitors. The service from this supplier is as good as the film, I ordered it in the afternoon of the Wednesday, it was delivered next day and I had chosen the free delivery option as I was in no hurry...how do they do that?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3