Profile for Mike Scantlebury > Reviews

Content by Mike Scantlebury

Mike Scantlebury (Salford UK)

SainSonic GB-818 Beauty Slim Massager *NOT for Pain Relief*
SainSonic GB-818 Beauty Slim Massager *NOT for Pain Relief*
Offered by P&A

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective but loose buttons, 1 Dec 2013
My only complaint is that the buttons appear loose after some use.
Apart from that, this machine is incredibly effective, tackling all known infections and even thickening head hair.
Well worth the money, a good investment.

Success
Success

2.0 out of 5 stars Success, or the alternative?, 14 July 2013
This review is from: Success (Kindle Edition)
I must admit, I never got much past 'The Rachel Papers'. That, I understood: a diffident youth, trying to get up the courage to ask the girl of his dreams out on a date. Who hasn't? But when it comes to the brothers, and their 'unreliable reporting', I'm afraid I got a bit lost, a bit bothered and a bit bored. What is the author trying to prove? He seems to want to sit on both sides of the fence, laughing at everybody else's defects. There was a time - cue 'Rachel' - when he had a bit more human sympathy.
I don't have much time for this book, maybe because I myself covered much of the same ground, but in a more readable and understandable form, in a series of short essays, bundled together in one e-book, for the first time. Try it.
Alternatives to Success

Up in Flames (#1 in the Casey and Catt British Detective Series)
Up in Flames (#1 in the Casey and Catt British Detective Series)

3.0 out of 5 stars As British as a pork pie, 1 July 2013
I think it's really interesting to note that other reviewers are put off by the 'Britishness' of the plot and setting, and even the language. As someone who is actually British, I found myself a little confused; I live near Manchester, in the north west of England, which is a real place. The setting of this book sounds and feels like it's made-up, and I feel that let down my level of pleasure in readingd
Having said that, I tried to 'suspend my disbelief' and then found the book well plotted, with interesting characters and good dialogue. I'd recommend it to anyone.
If, like me, you'd like to read about real people in a real place, then I would also point you in the direction of English author Stu Gratton, who doesn't write cozy, or procedural, but his crime thrillers are relaxing, easy to read and unthreatening. Really enjoyable.
Try this one with a similar name to the book above ! F is for Flame

The General: The ordinary man who challenged Guantanamo
The General: The ordinary man who challenged Guantanamo
by Ahmed Errachidi

5.0 out of 5 stars "There is (no) alternative", 16 May 2013
This is a terrifying read. It becomes almost unbearable to turn the page, worrying about what might happen next. After capture and humiliation, what could be worse? Well, lots, as it turns out. This man's courage is an inspiration. Curiously, if his was a story set in the Middle East, the tale would be made into a Hollywood blockbuster and he would be a hero to Americans. Strangely, he is their victim and his story is largely unknown in the country that tried to destroy him.
And the worst thing, of course, is that it only happens because people have been told the lie, 'There is no alternative'. If you can't think of one, it's because you've stopped thinking. There is always an alternative, and that's what I spend my writing life considering. I write articles which, hopefully, will provoke debate and get people thinking, coming up with their own ideas. I don't have all the answers, not even some of ALL the answers, but I know someone somewhere will have. If only we have the ears to hear - Then we will hear this man's cry, and we will provide an alternative. Hopefully, his life's struggle has not been in vain, and a better world is possible. I like to think that could be the next chapter in the story, once people turn off the 'Stop' switch and get their brains back in gear. Meanwhile, the debate has to go on - Alternatives to Torture

The Healing Code: 6 minutes to heal the source of your health, sucess or relationship issue

4.0 out of 5 stars Startling, 30 April 2013
I'm having to say I was surprised, invigorated, stunned and impressed by this book. There's a huge Part 1, where the history is laid out and the background given. All the time I was thinking, 'Get to it!', bur now I realise that wasn't the point. if you're thinking, 'All I need is the method', you're wrong. You need to know why the method is like it is; why it does what it does; and why it seems to work. If you don't spend the time to absorb that, then the danger is that you'll underestimate the method when you see it, and then either won't try it, or, worse, try it in a haphazard way that won't work. Well, I'm trying it, and it works. I can't see a better recommendation than that.

Multiple Sources of Income - Positive Expectations
Multiple Sources of Income - Positive Expectations

1.0 out of 5 stars Where's the beef?, 4 Mar 2013
Interesting. The recording has nothing to do with the title.
Where did the real mp3 go? Maybe they got mixed up.
Whatever happened, I was certainly looking forward to the
lesson, and it never arrived!

Story Behind the Protest Song: A Reference Guide to the 50 Songs That Changed the 20th Century
by Hardeep Phull

4.0 out of 5 stars Cost a packet?, 29 Dec 2012
How I wish I could afford this book! It's big, it's glossy. It would fit, maybe cover, an entire coffee table. I love the concept, the content, the photos and the scope and breadth of the book's ambition. Unfortunately, I don't know who it's aimed at! Me, a protest singer of choice and author of my own take on the subject, I would dearly love to have this tome in my collection. It would grace any bookshelf, but at that price, it's only gonna be available to libraries and Universities maybe. That's a shame. It deserves a wider audience than that.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2014 6:58 PM GMT

Peace: 50 Years of Protest, 1958-2008
Peace: 50 Years of Protest, 1958-2008
by Barry Miles

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential background reading, 29 Dec 2012
Ouch! How I wish I'd read this book first, before I sat down and tried to write my own, rather measly ebook, in the same ball park, but nothing like as detailed and precise as this work. It's great. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to know how protest developed, continued, and still makes an impression in the UK. That said, the focus is only briefly worldwide, so don't expect a grand panorama; it's domestic, but the stories, the quotes, even the photos are really appropriate and wisely chosen. I'd say to anyone, if you want to know the facts, go for this book. My only caveat is the rich price you have to pay, but then, it's a hardback. (Can't afford it? Go to your local library and ask them to order a copy. Easy.)
If you're on a tight budget, try a book that's a bit cheaper, and includes free song words!
Protesting Songs - History and How To

Seagate STAM2000200 2TB FreeAgent GoFlex Wireless Home NAS
Seagate STAM2000200 2TB FreeAgent GoFlex Wireless Home NAS
Offered by Media Trade Giant

1.0 out of 5 stars This device is rubbish, 5 April 2011
AFter a few weeks of running it with two computers, I tried to install it on the 3rd.
Bad mistake.
The Set-up asks me for a User Name for the machine, then gives me no option but the name of my 1st computer!
I can't delete it or substitute another name,
then, just to make matters worse,
it won't accept the password on the first machine,
and locks.

Beware the promises.
It doesn't do what it says on the wrapper,
and there is no one to ask to sort it out.

I have never been so disgusted in my life.